The Vue

cooperdawg

VUE Orlando is now at the 20th floor, is 87% sold, and is running its most spectacular ads to date.

Signed,

A Voice Crying In The Wilderness

Just as a comparison Dale, the other 50 story tower in Charlotte, 201 Trade, appears to be close to selling out in just a week or so of being open for sales. The Vue is a big laggard in comparison as it has been open for sales for months now.

Just as a comparison Dale, the other 50 story tower in Charlotte, 201 Trade, appears to be close to selling out in just a week or so of being open for sales. The Vue is a big laggard in comparison as it has been open for sales for months now.

Again, I am simply suggesting that, if there is anything to be learned from VUE Orlando, that neither advertising blitzes nor secrecy with sales is an indication that VUE Charlotte is struggling.

Jeez, seems like I want VUE Charlotte built worse than you guys do ! ;)

The Charlotte Planning Staff has signed off on the VUEs rezoning request...UMUD to UMUD-O. Whatever problems the city may have had with the VUE have been resolved. Now it just needs a rubber stamp from the City Council.

See item 16 on page 6 of this document:

http://www.charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres/eejgu...nda-06-2006.pdf

Now the ball is in their court. Here is hoping they run with it!

:alc:

Thanks for the heads up skylinedrive!

A2

Wish list:

Sales become as public as other projects

Agents are told what is available so they can pass it on to their clients

Ground starts getting moving SOON!

Vue gets built and our skyline grows yet again!!

Agents or anyone else are told what is available.

Ground should move soon.

Vue will be built.

Sales won't become public.

Three out of four isn't bad.

I hope that the Vue, along with The Avenue will prompt the City to re-assess the relative pedestrian un-friendliness of certain stretches of 5th Street west of Tryon. This is probably one of the narrowest streets in the city, and its sidewalks are all but non-existent. What little room there is is taken up with two dozen or so newspaper kiosks. If I were spending $500,000+ on a nice new condo, I would be disappointed with my walk to work each morning.

Agents or anyone else are told what is available.

Ground should move soon.

Vue will be built.

Sales won't become public.

Three out of four isn't bad.

Still confused about the secrecy as everyone is, but I can't really care too much since I don't want one! I do know agents I know can't get lists of what is available, only appointments to be told without being able to leave with a list or price list. We've beat this secrecy thing to death though, final comment = it doesn't make sense and doesn't seem to work but they seem cemented to the concept to shrouded sales when no one else in town does it and everyone with few exceptions sells out.

I hope that the Vue, along with The Avenue will prompt the City to re-assess the relative pedestrian un-friendliness of certain stretches of 5th Street west of Tryon. This is probably one of the narrowest streets in the city, and its sidewalks are all but non-existent. What little room there is is taken up with two dozen or so newspaper kiosks. If I were spending $500,000+ on a nice new condo, I would be disappointed with my walk to work each morning.

I believe it is part of the center city tranportation plan to remove the street parking on 5th between Church and Tryon and replace it with wider sidewalks. As much as I like street parking and think it is good for everyone, it would probably be better to have the wider sidewalks.

As for the stretch between Tryon and College, they've already made kind of a shoulder, to act as a drop off point and as a good buffer between cars and the sidewalk. I still think they'd do well to widen the sidewalk there. Perhaps they could even reduce the sidewalk on the Blumenthal side, as it also has sidewalk space under the shelter there.

As for the secret sales, I'll just say that every business has a right to do this if they choose. I agree it would probably make it seem less like they have something to hide if they revealed it. But if they really did hit their presales number, and ground will break as soon as rezoning and permit hurdles are crossed, then it won't have mattered if they revealed sales numbers or not. My belief is that it only has an effect on internet buzz, and not on actual sales. If one is interested in the building, they'd go and see if the product suits, otherwise they don't. I'd bet if any of us were actual buyers, we'd be able to get whatever info was needed to actually buy.

I personally think their slower sales compared to TTT has more to do with price point, lack of entertainment complex at the base, and the greater distance from some office towers.

Or not.

Maybe I should report that I heard a guy talking to another guy on a plane, they were looking at a spreadsheet that represented units sold and talking about project management. Apparently a threshold had been hit. I realized after hearing them for awhile that they were talking about the Vue and that groundbreaking was set for the fall.

Sound good?

Yep.

Did it happen?

Nope, but if I said it, it would be as reliable as some of the negative stuff I hear on here.

Chill out. Everything still seems pretty positive with the project, sure there are some worrying signs, but nothing that convinces me the projects in trouble.

Relax.

It will happen.

Or it won't.

The world will still turn.

Edited by rockhilljames

Did it happen?

Nope, but if I said it, it would be as reliable as some of the negative stuff I hear on here.

Okay, so you're saying that a completely made-up story is how much weight the actual facts of rezoning to open an escape hatch of a sale of the land to a third party and a lack of willingness to disclose sales numbers should be given? C'mon man, you might not want those things to have any weight, but you certainly can't say they've got the same nonexistant relevance of some totally contrived story. I want the building to get built too, but I'm not going to blind myself to things that cast some doubt over the project. It's fine to say you believe there's little relevance or impact from those facts on the chance the building will get built and provide some analysis why, but don't completely dismiss them as being as unreliable as an outright lie.

One point to note is that it appears the rezoning is meant to protect the current land owner, and not the Vue. If the Vue fails to purchase the land, then it means Chris Branch doesn't have to get it rezoned back. It makes sense because by Branch allowing this to happen, it speeds up the process, because otherwise, The Vue would have to purchase the land first, THEN start the rezoning process that would hold up the process additional months.

EDIT. BTW.....the rezoning petition passed this past Monday night.

Edited by atlrvr

The point I'm making is that people are overreacting.

I have no doubt that every developer of a speculative project (well, maybe not Novare) gives themselves an out.

It's called good business.

The Vue is a totally different product than anything else ever offered in Charlotte, even 210 Trade. So no, it doesn't surprise me that this project might have a few starts and stops.

I don't take the no sales figures as a positive sign, but I do take it that's the way they've chosen to market and sell the building, right or wrong. They're trying to create a very exclusive brand, and they might (wrongly) think that approach adds to it.

I don't think, based on what I've heard, that sales have been blistering on the project.

I do know that at the beginning of the project they were so strong that they were considering upping the floor count. It's probably tailed off since then.

Now, for something concrete, I am friends with folks in the planning department. None of them think this project won't happen.

The point I'm making is that people are overreacting.

I have no doubt that every developer of a speculative project (well, maybe not Novare) gives themselves an out.

It's called good business.

The Vue is a totally different product than anything else ever offered in Charlotte, even 210 Trade. So no, it doesn't surprise me that this project might have a few starts and stops.

I don't take the no sales figures as a positive sign, but I do take it that's the way they've chosen to market and sell the building, right or wrong. They're trying to create a very exclusive brand, and they might (wrongly) think that approach adds to it.

I don't think, based on what I've heard, that sales have been blistering on the project.

I do know that at the beginning of the project they were so strong that they were considering upping the floor count. It's probably tailed off since then.

Now, for something concrete, I am friends with folks in the planning department. None of them think this project won't happen.

right, but the intimation earlier was that the rezonings and failure to disclose were the equivalents to a completely fabricated story

That is funny because the lady from planning I had lunch with last week said just the opposite.

Anyway, the issue of securing the last piece of land that is not under their control is still out there...it must be hard to negotiate a price AFTER this much marketing -- the owner must know how much of a vice this puts the developer in.

Finally, how is this such a different product than "even 210"? I keep hearing how much better The Vue is, and from a height standpoint I love it, but I just can't grasp the hype of what is so far and above everything else. I've been to the sales pitch and I could not really see a vast difference between other high-end projects and other high-rises. Other than extra hardwoods, higher end granite, infinity tubs, or a fancier lobby, what exactly is that much better than 210, or The Avenue, or 230 South Tryon -- they all are high end with unique features. I realize The Vue has some upper end stuff, but to justify the extensive price difference?

Tunnel form construction would be the selling point to me....tis much better to have 12 inches of concrete between units, than two pieces of foam board, some metal studs, and a few layers of sheetrock.

Obviously not everyone wants to pay that premium, but I like the idea of less noise transmittance and protection from adjacent fires.

I personally like the location better, though I'm not saying it should command a premium, and obviously lots of people want to be closer to the action.....

That is funny because the lady from planning I had lunch with last week said just the opposite.

Anyway, the issue of securing the last piece of land that is not under their control is still out there...it must be hard to negotiate a price AFTER this much marketing -- the owner must know how much of a vice this puts the developer in.

Finally, how is this such a different product than "even 210"? I keep hearing how much better The Vue is, and from a height standpoint I love it, but I just can't grasp the hype of what is so far and above everything else. I've been to the sales pitch and I could not really see a vast difference between other high-end projects and other high-rises. Other than extra hardwoods, higher end granite, infinity tubs, or a fancier lobby, what exactly is that much better than 210, or The Avenue, or 230 South Tryon -- they all are high end with unique features. I realize The Vue has some upper end stuff, but to justify the extensive price difference?

If I didn't know better I'd think you have something personal against the Vue!

I can always count on you coming on this thread and bashing this building.

If I didn't know better I'd think you have something personal against the Vue!

I can always count on you coming on this thread and bashing this building.

On the contrary, I think the pro-building attitude prevails on these boards to the point of blindness to realities sometimes. I would think perhaps they are so excited about a project and are such fans of development they have something personal in favor of the Vue. It's 50 stories and very sexy, they want it really bad and any hint it might not happen just sends them into the stratosphere.

Edited by ElricSeven

I honestly have nothing against it. Elric has hit the nail on the head for my points. Trust me, I want any and everything built. Even the ugly stuff. I'm moving downtown and the more the better. But being realistic is something that does seem to upset people. I want The Park to be build, but reality has put it 2 years off schedule (I was buying one, being hopeful made me hold on too long, being realistic shows that not everything happens).

I can promise that the day they break ground I will be as delighted as anyone else around. I've never said I was "right" that it won't happen, and won't gloat if it doesn't, and will gladly be "wrong" if everything comes around.

See wish list from me way back in the thread...

Tunnel form construction would be the selling point to me....tis much better to have 12 inches of concrete between units, than two pieces of foam board, some metal studs, and a few layers of sheetrock.

Obviously not everyone wants to pay that premium, but I like the idea of less noise transmittance and protection from adjacent fires.

Great point. Being in The Ratcliffe and its solid construction do make an incredible difference -- absolutely no noice back and forth there. If that is one difference I can understand. That is also the case with 230 S. Tryon since it is a concrete floor building as well I guess. What will 210 be?