The Vue

cooperdawg

That's funny because purchase contracts are extinguished by closing. There must be some special gymnastics they plan on going through to keep that provision alive. I have no idea how they could pull that off. Of course I'm a patent attorney and not a RE attorney. I'm guessing that the provision is also for the Vue's own protection, so that they've got a year to unload the remaining units before all the flippers hit the market with their units.

I've seen deed restrictions that die after a year or two to prevent resales. Usually it is done when properties are sold at deflated prices for affordable housing so people won't lie, buy, and flip them. But there are ways for developers to try and lock folks out of reselling. I've definitely seen in commercial contracts in mixed use buildings provisions that the developer has right-of-first-refusal if the property is resold within 12 months and can buy back at the same price they sold for.

Hence my earlier question, what will they do if a resale is attempted. Sleight, you say they can't be resold within one year -- do you know what can or will be done if that is attempted?

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, I have never heard 2009 as being the completion date. I sure hope that the shovel goes in the ground by the end of this year like has been publicaly stated.

Overall I am an optimist on the VUE, but I can't wait till 2009. If I were moving to Eourpe to stay for a couple of years , then fine ,delay away. But I am in CLT and want this built asap. :) A2 is not a very patient man.

A2

One must close on the land first, which they have an option only until ????. Nothing against The Vue, great project, but I hear they are trying to put a rectangle peg in a square box. A redesign of the entire building footprint is a very very costly option. But most likey less then there marketing budget. But I hope they get over the design issues the build it.

The City Council approved the Vue's conditional rezoning petition tonight--not sure how that affects the project breaking ground though. McCrory asked how tall it was and staff said 40 to 50 stories. Pat said 'A 50 story residential highrise in Charlotte. Who would've believed that 10 years ago?' Awesome, hehe. I hope it gets built ASAP.

Edited by ChiefJoJo

^How clueless is the City Council?? The Vue was announced over a year ago (splashed on the front page of the Observer no less), and these comments make it seem like this is the first they've heard of it. "40-50 stories..." and "Who'd a thunk?" Give me a break already.

yeah, smug politician sound bite. i love how mccrory says "who would've believed that 10 yrs ago?"... thats his way of enforcing his legacy to all the commoners. i've been around mccrory a couple times and i've never seen anybody's demeanor change so much - as when the cameras cut on. he's the perfect politician.

as for the vue... i wonder how shes doing? we used to hang out alot, but since this summer shes been hanging around a different crowd. i wonder if she'll be leaving town after this year or if she plans on settling down in the queen city? she had big aspirations in charlotte and i wonder if she doesn't reach them, will she still settle down, for less (hence the 40-50 stories)? oh, well... lets hang out again.

Edited by cinco

• 1 month later...

Any ideas on a time table for Construction (specifically when it is to start)? With all this talk of Bubbles and all, I would really like to have a shovel in the ground on this project by October (preferably sooner). It is quite possibly the one project I was REALLY hoping to see rise out of the ground above all of the other. It will really stretch our skyline out quite nicely.

Any News?

A2

Edited by A2

Any ideas on a time table for Construction (specifically when it is to start)? With all this talk of Bubbles and all, I would really like to have a shovel in the ground on this project by October (preferably sooner). It is quite possibly the one project I was REALLY hoping to see rise out of the ground above all of the other. It will really stretch our skyline out quite nicely.

Any News?

A2

As vague as this is, I stopped in their sales office about a week ago and just asked, "When does construction start?" Their answer was sometime 4th quarter. But, they answered quickly and confidently. I have no reason to believe they aren't completely serious about that.

VUE Orlando is close to being topped out and there is controversy as to whether it will be 426' or 407' (at 35 stories).

Yea, I noticed people complaining about that in the Orlando threads, but didn't really read into it. Why is it up for debate? I mean, it's 19 feet, hardly a noticeable difference to the skyline.

Yea, I noticed people complaining about that in the Orlando threads, but didn't really read into it. Why is it up for debate? I mean, it's 19 feet, hardly a noticeable difference to the skyline.

And absolutely zero impact on the urban environment.

I recognize that the 'skyline factor' is of some importance in any city, but I could really care less about how many feet tall a building is; at the very most, I care about the floor count, because that affects density, which in turn makes an environment more urban.

I don't really get it, but somehow, those 19 feet (or even two feet, if that were all) are EXTREMELY important to the most rabid of skyscraper fans among us.

Skylines help urban development in that an attractive one will cause values to rise on properties within a few mile radius that can view the skyline. Skyline views have done very well for a number of Charlotte's inner neighborhoods. It certainly played a major part in First Ward, as most of the units have rooftop terraces where you can view it. Those with skyline views have significantly more value than those without.

That said, arguing over 19' seems a bit excessive.

As for the Vue, I think we should just discuss whether or not they are a go during or after 4th quarter. The have said 4th quarter for SO LONG, yet every period of time that goes by, someone brings up skepticism because they haven't seen anything happen. Now, the Park would say things and then time would pass and nothing happened. Let's at least let their estimate go by before assuming the worst.

Probably because the height has been overreported for several of our downtown projects.

And absolutely zero impact on the urban environment.

I recognize that the 'skyline factor' is of some importance in any city, but I could really care less about how many feet tall a building is; at the very most, I care about the floor count, because that affects density, which in turn makes an environment more urban.

I don't really get it, but somehow, those 19 feet (or even two feet, if that were all) are EXTREMELY important to the most rabid of skyscraper fans among us.

You hit the nail on the head. Some of us are skyscraper fanatics. Nothing more need be said.

And just to level the playing field a bit, I can assure you that there are lots of folks out there who consider folks who are concerned about the physical form of a city to be a tad eccentric.

Ok.....I dug deep into my list of sources for this one to see what I could find new. The word is they will break ground in November....and no, my source is not someone on the sales team.

Seems consistent with the general time frame that has been stated all along.