The Vue

cooperdawg

It is also old new year and vernal equinox. It is a all a matter of perspective.

I assume the April date is just the actual start of digging, but we'll still get some sort of ceremonial beginning before that. If not, then it would be yet another delay by an entire quarter, and will be greatly disappointing.

April Fool's Day?

Oh man.

Mayor Richard Daley decided to bring out large bulldozers to etch large X's into Meigs Field airport by Chicago's lakefront in the middle of the night of March 30th/April 1st 2003. This was the closing of that airport and it has since been turned into a public park. I suppose it is possible for truth to be told or done on April 1st. :huh:

It is also old new year and vernal equinox. It is a all a matter of perspective.

I assume the April date is just the actual start of digging, but we'll still get some sort of ceremonial beginning before that. If not, then it would be yet another delay by an entire quarter, and will be greatly disappointing.

They are expected to close on the land option January 27th... Unless they get an extension. The change request on the issued permit is for the part of the building that extends beyond the approved UMUD zoning. The setback from the street for UMUD is set in stone, so they had to get UMUD-O to allow the structure to extend less than the present setback. Example is UMUD is 20 to 24 ft setback from the road. UMUD-O will allow the current design from Orlando to fit into the land they are trying to purchase with less than the required setback from the road. The 2nd parcel they need to aquire and close on, may be part of the 1st main parcel closing. Without this small parcel, which ranges from 6in. to 6ft adjacent to parcel #1, they would have to redesign the entire building not just duplicate the Orlando building. Just an FYI.. Hope they close and get this one started!

Regarding Permits. See below

Fee Code Description Fee Amount

E-GRADING GRADING - CITY ENGINEERING $3,310.00

CUMUDMIIN UMUD/MUDD MAJOR AND MINOR - CDOT $2,170.00

DRWAY-CDOT DRIVEWAY PERMITS CDOT FEE $175.00

E-GRADING GRADING - CITY ENGINEERING $3,310.00

E-URBAN URBAN DESIGN PLAN REVIEW & INSPECTION $2,110.00

PUMUDMAJ UMUD/MUDD MAJOR - PLANNING $1,150.00

Total Permits Cost so far Paid to Date

Permit: RZC1 2006-55

Description: CONDITIONAL REZONINGS - CITY

Project: THE VUE CHARLOTTE LL

THE VUE CHARLOTTE LLC

Issued: 07-Feb-06 Completed:

Expiration: Next Renewal:

Location Desc.: 418 WEST 5TH STREET

If Trump takes over the Vue, they will have to figure out how to make the currently classy design as tacky and gaudy as possible, to be worthy of Mr T's brand. I suppose they'll be giving away his new real estate course, and tickets to his daughter's bait and switch at the convention center.

I suppose they'll be giving away his new real estate course, and tickets to his daughter's bait and switch at the convention center.

I went to the bait and switch dog and pony show Thursday. My first time to one of these "events". There was nothing anywhere near "free". The real estate course was not Trump but James Smith @ $5,995.00!!! If you bought everything being presented at the "free" show you would have spent around $16,000.

If Trump has anything going on in CLT Ivanka did not let on. Being the shamless salesman Trump is I would think there would have been some sort of teaser if something was happening. She was just there as a figure head. Her talk was maybe 30-45 minutes. She answered the questions she said she is most asked: What is it like to be a Trump? & What is it like working for your dad? She also had a power point presentation of some of the buildings Trump is erecting in Chicago, Vegas, & Dubai. Her speech rambled a bit and lacked structure even though she relied on her notes. But she seemed very likeable, self assured but not pretentious. I about gagged when she was given a standing ovation at the beginning and the end!

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/16593722.htm

It is actually a relief that silly land problems didn't prevent this project from happening, when all other systems were a go.

This project is an incredible asset to uptown, in my view. Not only does it create a tower where none exist now, away from the Tryon corridor, but it creates significant residential density to support and be supported by the grocery store, drug store, and all the rest in that immediate area. I also allows Fourth Ward to continue to grow and densify, despite the low rise neighborhood at its core.

I also am hoping that the completion of this project will allow Churchill to create a second project in Charlotte.

Also note that pretty much this is still in the same general time frame it always has been, mid-2008. That is a relief because many of us thought there was risk that it would collapse or be delayed significantly by its high prices and building height. However, it appears that they made a good decision to charge closer to 2008 prices, as it allowed them to make enough revenue to cover the costs and appreciation of the units during the marketing phase. That way, they avoided the issues of The Park, Renwick, and possibly 210 Trade.

...It is actually a relief that silly land problems didn't prevent this project from happening, when all other systems were a go. ...

If in fact any ever existed in the first place as that particular source, who has identified himself with a competing project in Charlotte, has made disparaging remarks about the Vue in the past. I do agree with you this is one of the better projects to be announced for Charlotte. The only negative is that it is too expensive for most people living in this city to contemplate moving into and I have mixed feelings about building such palaces for the rich.

Yeah, but even the rich need places to live.

Many of the units in this place have high $/sf, but are small, so they serve middle class single people who are willing to pay the higher prices to also have a basketball court, a pool, a tennis court, a movie room, and being across the street from the drug store and from the grocery store. Also, being only 3 blocks from Tryon, I bet many moving there are considering giving up their cars.

No argument, though, that this is housing for professionals and others with more established incomes and assets.

I have heard of the land delays from other sources, plus it always seemed odd that the land purchase would be the very last thing to have in order. But I guess it doesn't really matter at this point because it is all set now.

I missed it in my first read of the article, but it said it will be done in 2010. That actually surprised me for some reason. The original plan was supposed to be 2008 and I didn't think it was delayed by 2 years. Maybe like at the Avenue, the permitting department is making them use a more time consuming building method.

The surge occurred so quickly -- 18 projects announced in 3 1/2 years -- that real estate watchers have become concerned that not all of them will be built.

That's why when one makes progress, the entire market benefits, Littlejohn said.

"This is a big step for The Vue and other projects," she said. "It's confirming the depth and velocity of the downtown market."

Great news! If 210 Trade actually is built, that will make at least three 50-ish story buildings going up this year. I hadn't realized that Uptown had all those announcements in 42 months. Pretty astonishing for a niche real estate market (when compared to the total Charlotte market) to be able to absorb all that in such little time.