The Vue

cooperdawg

I would assume that the only reason to do sewer lines upgrades is if they are about to have a lot of additional use added.....Garrison did this before beginning construction, Enclave went through this....I don't really know anything, but typically CMUD doesn't do routine upgrading, and this work is likely done at the developer's expense.

This would be a first step. Same thing for 300 South Tryon -- the work that has been done on site to date has just been to move cable, water, and gas lines that ran under the site to run along Church and Third. If the folks working at The Vue site said they are with CMUD they are likely moving utilities to a big ol hole can be dug for this new building. Technically I'd say this is finally broken ground!

This would be a first step. Same thing for 300 South Tryon -- the work that has been done on site to date has just been to move cable, water, and gas lines that ran under the site to run along Church and Third. If the folks working at The Vue site said they are with CMUD they are likely moving utilities to a big ol hole can be dug for this new building. Technically I'd say this is finally broken ground!

I remember reading a report on the upgrades the sewer lines take place (increased size and output) due to all of the construction in uptown. The upgrades take place on site and around site before construction can begin. If these upgrades are not made ahead of time, the current sewers begin to lack. It's now required to go through the steps to upgrading the sewer lines as part of a project at the site owners / developers expense.

I have a feeling that this may have to do with The Vue (first step). I can't think of any other "new" projects that would be large enough to need the upgrades at that site.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stori...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

^ MCL just bought out the other partners in this project. Not sure what it means exactly as far as final product, but it's nice to see money still being pumped into the deal. The article does mention that ground-break is supposed to take place today.

I've been by the site several times on my way home from work this past week. Nothing as usual to report. I've been thinking and I've decided that I actually don't think I want this to be built afterall. I am a true fan of Uptown, development, and towers in general. I love seeing new blood, ideas & money be pumped into vacant spots in Uptown and the surrounding areas, especially barren surface lots of the past couple decades. However, for something on this scale, with the kind of impact it will have on Fourth ward, I'd really prefer it be with a developer who has their "stuff" together. I'm not saying have Jim Donnelly turn it into a ultra-luxe exclusive residence or have Novare blow through it in year with their condos either. I think the idea of the Vue is great and the design is good, I just fear the execution will continue to be the soap opera of Charlotte development, plagued with abnormal delays and issues for a project of its nature. This is what it looks like on the outside looking in (not having a contract on a unit in the Vue), anyone else have any thoughts on how this is actually going to be executed from the ground breaking to the closings (whatever decade they may be in)?

This is what it looks like on the outside looking in (not having a contract on a unit in the Vue), anyone else have any thoughts on how this is actually going to be executed from the ground breaking to the closings (whatever decade they may be in)?

The VUE is a watershed development. By its very nature it needs to standout from everything else. When construction actually does start, and that is supposed to be Wednesday the 26th according to the new developer, it should spur changes within a 1/2 mile radius. I know Citadin will be following shortly, (April) with the planned demolition of the apartments on Graham. I expect the former Polk Building to also come down within the next 6 months, if'n it doesn't just fall down itself! That development will follow with both condo and apartments with retail on the ground floor. The Girard Tire parking lot on the corner of 7th and Graham will probably follow with a Novare or Furman development in the 20 - 25 story range. The 6th street site between Pine and Graham should also follow with low rise development of flats over retail.

The land immediately behind Presto Grill is also in play. That whole 3rd - 4th Ward area will begin to look like the Wachovia sea of cranes soon.

UD

The VUE is a watershed development. By its very nature it needs to standout from everything else. When construction actually does start, and that is supposed to be Wednesday the 26th according to the new developer, it should spur changes within a 1/2 mile radius. I know Citadin will be following shortly, (April) with the planned demolition of the apartments on Graham. I expect the former Polk Building to also come down within the next 6 months, if'n it doesn't just fall down itself! That development will follow with both condo and apartments with retail on the ground floor. The Girard Tire parking lot on the corner of 7th and Graham will probably follow with a Novare or Furman development in the 20 - 25 story range. The 6th street site between Pine and Graham should also follow with low rise development of flats over retail.

The land immediately behind Presto Grill is also in play. That whole 3rd - 4th Ward area will begin to look like the Wachovia sea of cranes soon.

UD

Welcome to the forums and thanks for that informative update.

My (outside) opinion, is that this project is beginning to twist in the wind.

VUE gave themselves a lot of lead time when they said it would start in the spring of 2007 (has everyone forgotten how far in the future that used to sound?). It is frick'in fall 07 already.

It's time to mentally move to Missouri. Show me.

Wake me up when they start. The have a few Wednesday that were going to be a ground breaking and nothing. We need to rename it PARK II. It will happen but nobody knows when they will start.

Again, I think the reason it has been so quiet is now we see that the company has changed hands. Now that this has taken place, I believe that they are a bit more anxtous to get started... Then again, things are up for grabs until we actually see stuff happen.

UD

I would love for this to be the case.... I think that kind of development around historical fourth ward will make it an amazing place in terms of views, diversity of density & architectural styles.... BUT I doubt it. Some decent retail will forever be welcome in Uptown though. :good:

Edited by QCkid

This is not the developer that bought in a few months ago to partner with the group already developing it. This is a brand new firm out of chicago with far more experience in projects this ambitious. This is new talk, try to read ahead before you respond.

MCL came in as a partner with the original developer last spring. As of sometime in the last few weeks, the original developer is no longer involved with the project and this is what was reported as MCL taking over the project. MCL has totally redesigned the building and that is what some of the delay has been. The structure will look the same with the same amenities..., but the contruction method has changed, (no longer tunnel form construction), and so have many floor plans. As a result of all these changes new plans have had to be developed. The builder has also changed from Turner to Griffin. With the changes in design all new permits were needed. MCL has a good reputation and has built a lot of high rise condos. Churchill development, the old developer, is in the process of building their first building in Orlando--but they are out of the picture. From viewing their handling of the process, they were pretty incompetent, but had an exceptional sales staff.

Permits for footing, etc are approved, and they have months of work ahead of them before they need other permits. The financing has been secured and signed. Construction is supposed to slowly ramp up over the next several weeks and by Feb 2008 the underground work is supposed to be finished. I can't imagine that this building will not get built. MCL has spent a lot of money doing all of the above.

I hope the timeframe they have given me is accurate, but we have been there before.

That sounds good to me. When you hear nothing for a ground breaking and not happening, it makes you think something is wrong. I am sure MCL wants to put a quality product on the market and wants to get it right. With proper information I feel most people on UP will understand will welcome this project in Charlotte. I feel one company in charge of a project will make it easier for making it happen.

I like this project best for its looks and where it is located. I wish MCL the best.

The Girard Tire parking lot on the corner of 7th and Graham will probably follow with a Novare or Furman development in the 20 - 25 story range. The 6th street site between Pine and Graham should also follow with low rise development of flats over retail.

UD

I wouldn't support a highrise at the Gerrard lot...obviously a develoepr would want to be above Park Place for the view premiums, but I think I don't want to see that side of Graham (north of 6th) become overloaded with height.