The Vue

cooperdawg

Also, what's up with the floorplans?

If you mouse over the building, there are new floorplans which are virtually the same on all floors. Narrow lofts/studios from floors 9 - 32. It then switches to floorplans that basically combine two of the smaller units. Larger ones and penthouses from 42 on up. However, when you click on the floor and it displays the plans to the right, they are the old floorplans. ???

I'm assuming that having consistent floorplans all the way up would decrease cost and time to build. But, it also makes everything kind of boring. I had my heart (unrealistically) set on a particular unit. ^_^ I thought that if, in the far off future, I could afford it, I would get a unit in the Vue. But, if these are the new floorplans, think I'll scratch that dream.

Edited by geekUSA1981

Well, to be fair we've seen some decontenting like this in Furman's work too. The end result of these towers does seem trim back a little. It is more likely for the developer to look for cost savings than it is to find new ways to spend money.

Remember the debate about the Nascar HOF and the details removed from it, that people begged to be re-included...

Man, that sucks. The top just looks so unfinished now.

I agree. Those spires, for as little of an idea they were, really finished this project off perfectly. That little difference has made this tower look too "typical" where I would have rather seen this get a lot of skyline recognition given its height towering over almost everything in Charlotte.

Would removing the spires save them a significant chunk of money or not? I wonder why they did this????

Yeah there will be a significant amount of savings.

The General Contractor has a responsibility to the owner to produce VE (Value Engineering) cost saving options to see the project through pre-con. Generally VE savings will come from things like interior finishes or lighting packages, eliminating spires is a bit extreme (at least at this point).

The next obvious VE is removing the marbe entry-way :( I REALLY hope that doesn't go, because that's what makes this pop from the street-level. I could care less if the fountain goes.

I agree, I love the bottom portion of this tower with its brownish-orange marble, it really makes a statement with the blue glass for the remainder of the tower. I would be devistated if that got caught, also.

^I don't know about all of that, but the big differences I was told that would justify the price hike between The Vue and Avenue were the architecture (spires) better floorplans (they are now changing), tunnel form construction (bye bye). Not that I'm not still delighted that this building IS going up, but the wow factor seems to be disappearing.

I wonder if everyone still gets an infinity tub (one thing I never cared about) or other quality finishes and fixtures that were to be standard.

Edited by Charlotte_native

^I don't know about all of that, but the big differences I was told that would justify the price hike between The Vue and Avenue were the architecture (spires) better floorplans (they are now changing), tunnel form construction (bye bye).

They justified higher prices because the top of the building had spires?

It seems that the model has been changed to. I do think they have added shorter mini-spires around the top of the roof to give it some sort of topping. I don't have a copy of the old renderings, but by memory, those are new.

yes it does appear to have smallers spires at the top, and im sure they werent there before. Its better than none, but gee... I really like the honkin big ones..

It seems that the model has been changed to. I do think they have added shorter mini-spires around the top of the roof to give it some sort of topping. I don't have a copy of the old renderings, but by memory, those are new.

I thought the exact same thing yesterday when I passed by the model across the street. I meant to walk over there on my way back, but forgot.

The Sears Tower and John Hancock towers in Chicago have spires that actually serve a purpose; forgive me if the Vue's spires actually were to serve an actual purpose beyond aesthetics. The Sears Tower's two spires are television antennas for the city of Chicago and if memory serves me correctly I believe one on the John Hancock is television and the other is a radio antenna.

Could it not be beneficial to put spires on the top of the Vue that serve an actual purpose to help offset the cost? It does seem silly to waste such an opportunity for purely aesthetic reasons (if the spires as-was were to stay).