The Vue

cooperdawg

They started doing test piles yesterday. I assume they are test piles because they only drove them for a few hours with long breaks in between and have not yet started today.

Hear is to a couple of months of 'ping-ping'.

As I am sitting in my condo right now with the balcony doors open, I am listening with glee to the loud ping-pinging as we speak !!

Today when I was walking home to lunch, the site is on my way home and I stopped and talked to the foreman for a good ten minutes at the site ... the gate was open so I just walked in to take a look!

He told me that these will go in quickly (as they are just to support the earth below-grade while they dig down) and not anywhere near as deep as, say, at the Avenue. It's so cool though!

They are pounding the hell out of the piles this morning. I can hear it clearly in my office 4 blocks away. Doesn't bother me but I bet late sleepers at 5th & Poplar are less than pleased!! I can't wait to watch framing go up on this building. Watching Catalyst come out of the ground as been really cool so far.

Would it be safe to assume that the Vue will be concrete and not steel framed? I would love to see this thing go up any where near as fast as Catalyst.

I have been reading through the websites of the developers and no one is listing the building materials. I will have to say that it will be concrete. The way the amenities deck looks it is very similar to the Avenue, also from the renderings the placement of the columns suggest that the skeleton will be concrete.

I have been reading through the websites of the developers and no one is listing the building materials. I will have to say that it will be concrete. The way the amenities deck looks it is very similar to the Avenue, also from the renderings the placement of the columns suggest that the skeleton will be concrete.

Its Tunnel-Form Construction, which I believe is only done with concrete. Just in case you are unfamiliar with tunnel form construction, its basically like using a prefab "mold" to pour each loadbearing wall/ column simultaneously, so you get basically a continuous pour. In other words the only wait u have is the curing time of the concrete before you start the next floor.

Dbull, due to this method of construction, and the fact that the floor plates are smaller (462 1 and 2 bedroom condos on 27 floors vs. 440? 1,2 and 3 bedroom on 51 floors) the Vue should actually be built faster, once they finish the parking deck.

Edited by 83alphaunder

Its Tunnel-Form Construction, which I believe is only done with concrete. Just in case you are unfamiliar with tunnel form construction, its basically like using a prefab "mold" to pour each loadbearing wall/ column simultaneously, so you get basically a continuous pour.

Since The Vue project was sold, they changed the plan of using tunnel-form construction.

I'm sorry, Ron, I can't remember. All I remember was the salesmanager telling me that what they're now using is just as good. It sounded like the standard concrete with drywall, etc. to me.

I thought I had heard from MCL that tunnel-form construction was still going to be used, thats why the spires were cut out. I could very easily be wrong though.

• 2 weeks later...

Drove by today and while it's been wet the last week, it doesn't appear that they have done much of any work the last few weeks. Wonder what the hold up is. I thought they had started doing the pile driving but I didn't see any heavy equipment out there except for like one bulldozer.

It turned out that the initial pile driving was at the perimeter of the site for shoring so they could dig deeper. They were not true permanent structural piles. They are still digging.

Drove by today and while it's been wet the last week, it doesn't appear that they have done much of any work the last few weeks. Wonder what the hold up is. I thought they had started doing the pile driving but I didn't see any heavy equipment out there except for like one bulldozer.

There's been quite a bit of water in the hole from the last rains we had - and it didn't look like they were pumping, so that probably held them back even though the sun was shining.

I was told by a friend that has one of these under contract that they have the site work permit but not the construction permit. Anyone know if that is accurate?

I happened to drive by this site today as well. Definitely one big mud pit right now. Though there was an exacator and what I assumed to be a pile driver in the hole that's being dug. There were several workers with hard hats walking around. I'm just assuming that hole has to dry out some before they can do anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

I myself am tempering my enthusiasm. I'm not saying this thing is isn't going to be built but, I'll wait until it's coming out of the ground before I consider it in the clear. Just a word of caution.

After the disappointment of 300 S. Tryon's delay/cancellation, I'm also starting to worry about the Vue. Anyone know any latest news about construction starts?