The Vue

cooperdawg

Today 02-05-08

P2050911.jpg

Does anyone know what building existed there before? You can see the remnants of it from the back brick wall that you see in the picture. I took a peek over the edge and there is still electrical conduits and outlets along the brick wall from whatever previous building was there. Wasn't there a parking lot on top of all of this? It's just kind of crazy to see that wall unearthed with the electrical workings still there -- just makes me wonder what I'm looking at from the past. How long ago was this lot leveled and turned into surface parking?

Looks like some serious progress is about to happen at the Vue. They extended the fence into the shoulder lane of 5th street today and put up orange and white construction barriers along Pine St. There is also a lot of equipment onsite now. The signs for the Vue have been taken down, but they have been replaced with RJ Griffin construction signs. Hopefully it won't be long until this thing starts to go vertical.

^ Short of a crane being on site, it looks like The Vue will be going vertical soon!

Yeah- there is a lot of activity on site. More construction vehicles too. About the hole, unless things have changed, I think they are as far down as they are planning to go. For the most part, the site is already all leveled out. I actually heard a crane was coming late February, but that was over a month ago so again- that could have easily changed. I'll keep my ears out.

^ So does this mean that most of the parking for the Vue will be above ground? Also, what about the lot behind the site? Will that be occupied by the Vue later or not?

Yeah- if you look at the picture on their homepage or a few of their other concepts, you can see the parking runs down 5th St towards the Firestation Museum, but what would front Fifth and Poplar, won't be parking because it's set back a little so it's only about halfway into the actual tower, and the building entrance and lobby utilizes that fronted space. I'm not sure about the parking lot next to it. I don't think there were any plans for now on it, but there may be and they are just waiting for the Vue to take place. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up needing that lot for storage and for a crane possibly through the construction process. Afterwards :dontknow: .

Edited by Andyc545

Great news! Finally the VUE is ready to go... To bring back the great debate, I'm thinking it will top out before 210 Trade.

Well, I honestly hope it will. I feel like this project will add a lot more to Charlotte than TTT. It will be visually more pleasing, and will stretch out the skyline further. Plus, it will basically force more pedestrian traffic further out from Trade and Tryon.

I stopped by the sales center today to get some pics of the model since it looks like this project is in full force. The very lovely sales girls (hi girls :) ) informed me that they have their construction loan and the recent holdup was with city easment issues that were eluded to on here earlier. Crane should be going up sometime in mid March (they had an exact date, but I dont remember, 17th maybe?). The site is crawling with workers so I dont doubt this thing is moving full steam ahead. Looking forward to a tower rising that far off of Tryon. Its been said before, but this is going to do wonders for the skyline....

If anyone is interested, I started a gallery for this project. Hopefully with ever changing monthly updates (and better angles).

2-25-08

93439395.jpg

After all the skepticism, I suppose that VUE may yet beat 210 Trade to the top.

This would be the smart money bet....

Edit....Mo, in your gallery, the picture of the model shows this sans antennea :( Thankfully, it appears the trazentine marble facade at the entryway has survived.

I think it is now well established that those spires will not be built. It is a shame, but I agree that quality of the ground level is likely of higher importance, and I'm glad that the marble facade is retained, or at least not removed from the model.

Atlrvr, are you implying some additional information is out there about issues at 210, or you are just saying that the organizations involved in building Vue will likely be able to make it faster and that is what you'd bet?

Atlrvr, are you implying some additional information is out there about issues at 210, or you are just saying that the organizations involved in building Vue will likely be able to make it faster and that is what you'd bet?

Yes and yes.....I don't believe that 210 Trade has acquired its construction loan, and The Vue has. I can't say with certainty, but I believe The Vue at this point has a greater % of units (at least by value) under contract. I also feel that MCL is the more qualified developer with the experience to work through the issues certain to appear during any high-rise project. Finally, The Vue is just a much easier site for staging, delivery of materials, etc, so they have the ability to build quite a bit quicker if they chose.