The Vue

cooperdawg

^ Yeah I noticed the base for the second crane is alread in the ground. Anyone remember how long the base for the first crane was down before they actually built it though - probably 3 weeks.

Drove by this morning and they are putting the crane together, so it looks like 3 days as opposed to 3 weeks for the first crane. Did anyone see them working last Sunday?

^ :shok: Maybe you just aren't a fan of glassy buildings. I can respect that. Most of our new buildings are more glassy than buildings built in the recent past. I personally think the Vue is going to be gorgeous with the glass curtain surrounding it. Wach CC is looking nice (another glassy addition), and I'm excited to see how BofA turns out.

Charlotte's offfice towers (other than the new B of A) have such nice designs, and yet, its residential towers are lame. The Vue is nothing special.

While getting slightly off topic, I have to relatively disagree. With the exception of BoA Corp, Hearst, and maybe IJL, none of the office buildings in uptown "excite" me. They seem like just generic office tower designs. However, buildings like Courtside, Trademark (front side,) and Avenue all are much more attractive in design than the rest of uptown (not including the aforementioned office towers.) While The Vue isn't architecturally outstanding, it actually is a nice tower compared to the rest uptown and it is unique in that it is a broad, all-glass box tower without a major fixture (a la WB's handle) on top which will be a newer concept for Charlotte as most other towers throw in a few curves and/or fixtures here and there. I believe the tiers in The Vue's design will also compliment the tiers of BoA Corp. The two Wachovia towers architecture will be unique by comparison to the rest of uptown but will not really stand out any more than the Vue for the sake of their common palette. You have to also remember that you are looking at a city with few residential towers by comparison to its office towers so you have fewer to compare in general.

Edited by aussie luke

Riverwood, Great pictures! I had no idea that the basement floors had already begun to rise! I am always viewing from trademark a "someday ill eventually see more than just a flat concrete jungle"

very nice... so everyone still think 2010? no delays in forecast?

(I know its been discussed before, but WHO IS BUYING @ >$700/sqft?!?!)

Riverwood, Great pictures! I had no idea that the basement floors had already begun to rise! I am always viewing from trademark a "someday ill eventually see more than just a flat concrete jungle"

very nice... so everyone still think 2010? no delays in forecast?

(I know its been discussed before, but WHO IS BUYING @ >$700/sqft?!?!)

QC-NC:

The VUE is a true luxury building. The term luxury has been so loosely thrown around lately by any new project with granite and stainles steel appliances (i.e. Catalyst, Avenue, Trademark, etc.) that its definition is becoming watered down.

The VUE is not intended for the masses. Rather, it's a building for high income people with high standards. And they appreciate what comes along with a $700 a sq.ft. price tag...

QC-NC:

The VUE is a true luxury building. The term luxury has been so loosely thrown around lately by any new project with granite and stainles steel appliances (i.e. Catalyst, Avenue, Trademark, etc.) that its definition is becoming watered down.

The VUE is not intended for the masses. Rather, it's a building for high income people with high standards. And they appreciate what comes along with a $700 a sq.ft. price tag...

Is that why it has an exposed parking garage and Ave doesn't? Don't get me wrong, VUE is a nice building, but having that un-clad parking deck stick out of the back along 5th St is kind of ugly and I would expect more for $700 per square foot. Ave at least covered its garage with brick/precast concrete panels giving Church and 5th streets a better aesthetic treatment.

QC-NC:

What is it that seperates the Vue from Catalyst, Trademark, Avenue, etc?

QC-NC:

Then you can add The Vue as being watered down as well, since it has granite and stainless steel appliances. I don't see The Vue's ammenities being any different from the other projects.

well, neither is Avenue, Trademark, 230 South Tryon, Catalyst, etc. and high income people live in them. $300K+ and up to several millions for many of these units is not exactly for the masses. The $700 sq ft price tag is rather exhorbitant.

Edited by dxartist

Then you can add The Vue as being watered down as well, since it has granite and stainless steel appliances. I don't see The Vue's ammenities being any different from the other projects.

well, neither is Avenue, Trademark, 230 South Tryon, Catalyst, etc. and high income people live in them. $300K+ and up to several millions for many of these units is not exactly for the masses. The $700 sq ft price tag is rather exhorbitant.

Maybe he means that with the significantly higher price tag, you're less likely to encounter 60-foot beer bongs at the pool (cough-Trademark-cough-cough) ;)

...... The $700 sq ft price tag is rather exhorbitant.

It would be my guess they are having to charge these rates to put up a tower of this size. Skyscrapers are very expensive buildings to build and there are diminishing returns once a building reaches a certain height. i.e. adding another floor increases the total price/sq foot to build.

This is most likely the real reason that we don't see 210 Trade or any of the other 40+ story proposals going up. The market can't support the prices needed to build these kinds of buildings.