The Vue

cooperdawg

I probably shouldn't have used the zoom on this one : http://www.ibscc.org/vue.htm

Next time I'll back it up some so you can see the overall vue, as it were. :-)

Windsurfer

I was wondering, what does the garrison look like from your apartment, is it visible? I'd love to see the impact that is making. Great Shots everyone, its amazing to see how fast this is going up!

Edited by Guest

Not quite the full view because of Fifth and Poplar, but here it is from Ave.

10-15-08

104586464.jpg

This is where it gets fun to watch, Mo. They are moving much quicker than I expected on it, I guess just because it took so long to get started in the first place.

Edited by Andyc545

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if this news is already known, but my source told me that the original developer of the VUE (Orlando) has sold the Charlotte project to another developer. Can anyone confirm this? Also, if so, how would this affect the original renderings and its projected 50-story height? I just don't think the Vue would go all the way up 50 stories when they aren't anywhere near completely sold and take that kind of risk. I think they'll top off around 20-25 stories and call it a day and have most of the current units sold without carrying additional overhead costs. Plus, some of those who originally signed contracts probably won't be able to qualify for mortgages now that lenders are getting so tight on lending any money out and will be for some time.

Hopefully, I'm wrong about all this, but that piece of news I heard was startling. But my source does come from Vue Orlando, so I trust it.

Don't know if this news is already known, but my source told me that the original developer of the VUE (Orlando) has sold the Charlotte project to another developer. Can anyone confirm this? Also, if so, how would this affect the original renderings and its projected 50-story height? I just don't think the Vue would go all the way up 50 stories when they aren't anywhere near completely sold and take that kind of risk. I think they'll top off around 20-25 stories and call it a day and have most of the current units sold without carrying additional overhead costs. Plus, some of those who originally signed contracts probably won't be able to qualify for mortgages now that lenders are getting so tight on lending any money out and will be for some time.

Hopefully, I'm wrong about all this, but that piece of news I heard was startling. But my source does come from Vue Orlando, so I trust it.

It will still be 51 stories. People don't seem to understand the kind of redesign you would have to do. Not to mention contracts would have to be REsold. They made their presales, and they are moving forward with the project. When you are approved for 51 floors, you don't just stop construction and call it a day. The original developers sold this project over a year ago, and this is old news. The "new" developer, feels it is coming out ahead because it feels their project will start finishing up when the big hiccup ends. They have continually expressed their commitment to a 51 story project, and I am certain it will be built as their plans suggest, minus the spires of course, and maybe with some value engineering.

A change to a 25 story building would certainly require new architectural drawings. It's not possible to just lop off 20+ stories without making significant changes to the elevator shafts, building mechanicals, etc. Because of that the city would have to review them and issue new building permits. It shouldn't be too difficult to determine if this is the case or not.

My guess is that if any change were to happen, we would see another repeat of 210 Trade or The Park.

That is old news...almost a year old. The original developer sold this project to MCL out of Chicago about a year ago. At first it was a joint venture...and then they just sold the whole thing to MCL. The current developer has said all along they will still build a 50 story condo tower....the major changes being they are no longer doing tunnel form construction and the spires were taken off the top of the building.

If you want more details on the ownership change you can dig back through this thread and track the whole thing.

Huge skyscrapers right next to the street is what makes NYC and Chicago so great.

Actually I think he is referring to it being too close, aka no room for pedestrians. NYC and Chicago both have large sidewalks that allow for maximum pedestrian capacity, and allow for more light to get to the street. I too have a problem with the proximity to the curb, however I think the decently large over hang will help the pedestrian experience somewhat. I do however think that this is going to be one dark street for all but 2 or so hours of the day.

Indeed. Nothing makes much practical sense about this building. Forgetting the absurdity of a 50+ story residential tower being built in an area that has no need for such structures, you do make a good point about the sidewalks. I suspect that most of the daily access to this building will be by vehicle (that fact causes a different problem) so this might not be an issue from the standpoint of overcrowding. However, I have noticed that many times, Charlotte's downtown buildings are designed more for looks than practicality and because of that are not designed well for their surroundings. i.e. they cause bad streetscapes and the buildings are noisy.

For the technical details regarding the sidewalk, there will be a 6' foot planting strip between the curb and the sidewalk, and the sidewalk will be a minimum of 6' feet between the planting strip and the building. The sidewalk will actually be approximately 8' wide for the majority of the Pine St frontage, with the only 6' section where the vehicle drive makes the curb cut. The balconies will extend completely over the sidewalk along Pine, starting on the 4th floor.

On 5th St., there will be a 6' planting strip between the curb and the sidewalk, and a 6' sidewalk. The building will not overhang on the 5th St. side, though there will be 3 retail bays.

For comparison sake, the sidewalk along 5th St fronting 5th&Poplar (I think) is 5' planting strip and a 5' sidewalk.

Finally, for the shadow argument, the affects of The Vue on Pine St will be minimal due to its northwestern proximity to Pine St. Any shadows will be cast very late in the day and likely only on the most northern portion of the block. 5th&Poplar is repsonsible for the shadows on that street as it has a southeastern proximity.

Does NYC still have the zoning language that led to a lot of the wedding cake style buildings with multiple setbacks in the early 20th century? Even back then planners realized the need to allow natural light to make it to street level. I'm assuming not since there are a lot of modern buildings there that rise straight up from the street.