The Vue

cooperdawg

This is so cool to see---a massive project like this going up during an economic downturn. It shows the resolve of the human spirit.:)

With so many more folks living in this 4th Ward area, after the Vue is complete, surely someone will open a world class bookstore Uptown. Every time I see these terrific pics of the Vue here, my brain keeps screaming "Bookstore!"

12-21-08

3125843631_2d6acdf061_o.jpg

In my journey up to CLT from ATL for the Holidays (Had to see the inlaws :) ) ,I noticed how far this puppy has come up. I am amazed at the progress and pleased that this was able to rise from the Earth before all hell breaks loose in the markets (still predicting horrid times into 09' and on through 2011). I am thankful that of all the condos that have run into trouble, that this was not one impacted , as it will have possibly the most impact on the Skyline of any.

Great Pics InitialD!

Happy Holidays to all !

A2

(Sorry I have not been posting lately, I have been swamped with work as of late. Still lurk though when possible.)

Edited by A2

• 2 weeks later...

I like that they added a glass facade to that section that juts out to 5th St. If you look at the rendering on the Vue's homepage, they basically have that as part of the deck. Maybe they added those walk-out units discussed earlier since the rendering was done.

I suspect they'll also be doing the bottom two floors of that section with the travertine to tie that in with the bottom two floors of the main building. I am just guessing though, as enclosing it in cinderblock makes it seem unlikely they'll do glass.

They are working on the pillars of 21/floor of 22. Thats about 4-5 floors since this time in Dec. Or a little more then a floor per week. Remember that there are 2 floor units in this section, and the second floor of each unit is not visible to the outside.

edit: looking at Windsurfers photos from Nov. 6 (~2 months). They are up about 11-12 floors since then, and thats through the holidays. Not too bad.

Edited by Mobuchu

I have a bit of wonder as to why they are hurrying. Overtime and late shifts add cost, right? My theory is that the contractors shouldn't expect that they will have lots of other work, so why not stretch out current work longer, and then consider that the The Vue should want to not open until as far after the start of the recession as possible. Maybe I'm wrong and there are other incentives for finishing as soon as possible. Can anyone enlighten me on that?

I have a bit of wonder as to why they are hurrying. Overtime and late shifts add cost, right? My theory is that the contractors shouldn't expect that they will have lots of other work, so why not stretch out current work longer, and then consider that the The Vue should want to not open until as far after the start of the recession as possible. Maybe I'm wrong and there are other incentives for finishing as soon as possible. Can anyone enlighten me on that?

Carrying costs maybe? The sooner you sell, the fewer payments you make?

I think the two biggest incentives are the increasing costs of materials and they are paying (or losing) interest on the money they are spending to build the thing. Usually the objective is to get these things built as soon as possible so they can start to make some money back from sales and rent. Of course getting done faster also means you keep the people who have signed contracts and a finished building in these times always sells better than one on paper.

This is why I asked.

I think the two biggest incentives are the increasing costs of materials and they are paying (or losing) interest on the money they are spending to build the thing.

I was under the impression that raw materials and constructions costs have been falling fairly rapidly in the past few months, no? Isn't that a byproduct of the collapse of the commodities bubble and threatening worldwide deflation?

Well I guess every one is intitled to their Point of Vue :-) lol ... no pun intended!!!

So anyway back on topic, does anyone know when the new completion date is for the Vue?

With all the delays of getting this project started, i have never heard mention of a set time to complete this beautiful tower. (I do miss the spires though!!!)

I was under the impression that raw materials and constructions costs have been falling fairly rapidly in the past few months, no? Isn't that a byproduct of the collapse of the commodities bubble and threatening worldwide deflation?

That is very true. The bursting bubbles in Dubai and China have led to a significant easing in steel and concrete prices worldwide. It's already having a major effect on building projects here.

So driving down 77 today, I really got a feel for how this tower will mesh into the skyline. And I have to say that I now agree with previous criticisms of this development: that it will look out of place. It is a lot more narrow than renderings showed due to their perspectives. This tower is going to look like a pencil tower as long as it stands alone. It will fit really well once we have some mid-rise development between it and Tryon, or at least somewhere in its proximity. At least this is my impression when viewed from 77.