The Vue

cooperdawg

I was at the Vue's office yesterday and I must say I was blown away.

They are extremely confident that they will sell all 411 units. Also they don't believe they have any competition.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sure they've been well-trained to exude confidence. Any intimation of uncertainty on their part could result in some pretty significant fear on the part of the buyers and a situation like the Park.

Seems like they do have the most upscale product and it never ceases to amaze me how well luxury sells in the good old U.S. of A.

Edited by ElricSeven

Well I am reminded of the strip mall. Once they build a new one down the street, everyone forgets about the one already there. The Vue will have all the mind share until someone announces the next 50 story residential project. The smaller projects are going to have to fight over what is left.

As long as they can put it on a mortgage, people will pay for luxury.

Edited for rules compliance

It is going to be quite luxurious. Sub-Zero/Wolf, or Thermador will be standard for 3Br and Penthouse units or upgrades for the remainder (who have GE Profile as standard)......All the 2 story units will have spiral staircases to the 2nd floor.

The nicest penthouse will be $6M....it sounds like they must have had a lot of interest in the unit to raise the price by 50% over the initially annonced price. Also, the minimum unit will start at $220.

Pricing seems to be roughly $300/sft for a western view and $375/sft for a skyline view.....seems to be a much better deal than 5th and Popular that was charging similar prices.

HOAs are now being quoted at $.30/sft/month.....they raised it siting expected inflation over the next 3 years.

Edited by metroboi

I agree. I betcha' someone like a high profile Bob Johnson has already eyeballed the layout and put down not only a deposit, but simply wrote a check to purchace the unit. Man, I wsh I had it like that. Must be nice !  B)

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea I could drop 6 mil on that unit if I wanted to. Instead though I am saving up for that private moon flight they are planning for '08.

I forgot to mention, it is also going to be Tunnel Form construction......which is amazing!!!!!!

What that is that all walls dividing the units are poured as solid concrete.....not pillars with aluminum framing between them.......

This means that not only will there be a concrete floor separating units vertically, but there will be a concrete wall separating every unit from the next door neighbors (think very little noise and vibration transer). Additionally, most of the 2 and 3 bedroom units will have the bedroom walls as solid concrete as well.

This type of construction is a HUGE deal, as it is the absolute strongest way to build a high-rise, as well as the quickest, and by far the most expensive. From my limited knowledge of the construction industry, this will also be one of the tallest tunnel form buildings in the world.

I forgot to mention, it is also going to be Tunnel Form construction......which is amazing!!!!!!

What that is that all walls dividing the units are poured as solid concrete.....not pillars with aluminum framing between them.......

This means that not only will there be a concrete floor separating units vertically, but there will be a concrete wall separating every unit from the next door neighbors (think very little noise and vibration transer).  Additionally, most of the 2 and 3 bedroom units will have the bedroom walls as solid concrete as well.

This type of construction is a HUGE deal, as it is the absolute strongest way to build a high-rise, as well as the quickest, and by far the most expensive.  From my limited knowledge of the construction industry, this will also be one of the tallest tunnel form buildings in the world.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They might as well make the outer walls concrete with bulletproof glass. Would be the world's tallest bomb shelter.

My cousin works with a large developer building condos in FL. I have asked him about Tunnel Form Construction. He stated that not only is it quiet for the residents, but it allows them to build floors at an incredible pace. The way they do it is by Forms. It ususally takes concrete around 7 days to cure. (sometime longer, it is all dependant on temp and humidity levels). Instead of waiting on the curing process, crews can continue upward as the forms that the concrete is pourded into on one floor, helps to support the next level up. It is an incredible technology, but prohibitavely expensinve. This news is real exciting as it makes me more confident in the developer and his financial means to make this tower a reality. Atlrvr, you are probably right about The Vue being one of the tallest structures in the world using this technology. One thing that needs to be mentioned though, is that while it is expensive, the method speeds up the time table of a buildings completion, thus eliminating the cost overruns associated with construction delays.

A2

Edited by A219724

This means that not only will there be a concrete floor separating units vertically, but there will be a concrete wall separating every unit from the next door neighbors (think very little noise and vibration transer).  Additionally, most of the 2 and 3 bedroom units will have the bedroom walls as solid concrete as well.

This type of construction is a HUGE deal, as it is the absolute strongest way to build a high-rise, as well as the quickest, and by far the most expensive.  From my limited knowledge of the construction industry, this will also be one of the tallest tunnel form buildings in the world.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow! from the number of storys, I would agree that this will become the tallest tunnelform building in the world. The current tallest is in Buckhead if I'm not mistaken. It's only 478' tall and a 50 story tall building should be taller than 478'.

This definitely will add value to the units for those who understand tunnelform.

Shssssssssssssssssssh. Did you hear that? Nope, because you have tunnelform walls. ^_^

So does this type of constuction mean that the building will not have the massive web of steal beams supporting it like the office buildings commonly do?  Just curious.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Similar to how Courtside is being built, but with concrete as the inner walls. So yes, no beams like I'm guessing the Avenue will have. A lot less expensive with beams.

Sigh, at least Courtside is poured-in-place and half way to tunnel form.

Great link A2 (I guess I was forming my question when you posted it b/c it pretty much answered my question too).

So this tower will be pretty stiff I imagine. Should not be a problem though b/c we don't usually get high winds to make the building sway, nor should there be a big threat from earthquakes in CLT.

What is the lifespan of these tunnel form buildings? Hopefully it won't crack like the concrete floors of my old Hinton James Dorm at UNC after just 40 years :w00t:

Popped by the Vue's not-yet-opened sales center last evening, and the lady there was nice enough to let me peek in for a minute.  They had some pretty impressive model interiors of the kitchen and bathroom there, I must say.  Very modern and sleek.  Apparently it's the same unit design they used for their Orlando condo development.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And it should cheer you charlotteans to know that *our* view got underway relatively quickly and is now well under construction. :)

Here is a brief quote from a construction industry trade magazine....the company they are referring to is Total Concrete Structures out of Atlanta.

Already responsible for the construction of the world's tallest tunnel-formed project, the 44-story Paramount at Buckhead apartment building in Atlanta, the company is presently spreading the word on this technique with ongoing and upcoming projects in Florida.

In addition to its current low-rise project, the $15 million European Village in Palm Coast, Total Concrete will be building the 35-story Vue at Lake Eola in Orlando with tunnel forms, and it is in preliminary negotiations for another project in the Southeast that would easily eclipse the firm's previous world record for height.

It would appear the last line would be referring to The Vue here in Charlotte.

To me, this building technique sells the building more than any glitzy granite, ceramic, or stainless steel feature ever could.

And it should cheer you charlotteans to know that *our* view got underway relatively quickly and is now well under construction.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dale that is a great sign. Do you know if they are using the same type of construction on the building in Orlando ? I would imaging they are.

A2

Dale that is a great sign. Do you know if they are using the same type of construction on the building in Orlando ? I would imaging they are.

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would assume so. Although I'm not certain.

Of interest, a project called Fifty-Five West was announced here over two years ago, to much fanfare, received fat city incentives, and has still not broken ground. Whereas Vue was announced little over a year ago, without much to-do, received no incentives, and broke ground months ago.

Ours is 36 stories, 426 ft. You can call it 'Little Vue' if you like. :)

I would assume so. Although I'm not certain.

Of interest, a project called Fifty-Five West was announced here over two years ago, to much fanfare, received fat city incentives, and has still not broken ground. Whereas Vue was announced little over a year ago, without much to-do, received no incentives, and broke ground months ago.

Ours is 36 stories, 426 ft. You can call it 'Little Vue' if you like.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As to the Fifty-Five West comment, read the thread named "The Park" here in the Charlotte forum. Your not alone :(

I read that the building in Atlanta done by TCS was post-tensioned in some fashion....again, I don't know enough about construction techniques to know how this is done......possibly cable tensioning through inteior columns, or the exterior-skeleton providing some sort of tension of cables running through the horizontal slabs.