The Vue

cooperdawg

I disagree with those who like the look of the top of this one. We were tailgating yesterday and along with enjoying ice cold beverages, I had plenty of time to look at the top of this building. They're not going to leave the top like that, right? It looks like a cheap BOA tower-top knockoff. It reminded me of finding a toy in the dollar store that is supposed to be just like the "real" toy but is woefully inadequate. Maybe it just has not been completed, yet.

I disagree with those who like the look of the top of this one. We were tailgating yesterday and along with enjoying ice cold beverages, I had plenty of time to look at the top of this building. They're not going to leave the top like that, right? It looks like a cheap BOA tower-top knockoff. It reminded me of finding a toy in the dollar store that is supposed to be just like the "real" toy but is woefully inadequate. Maybe it just has not been completed, yet.

No, it's not going to be left like that. InitialD has touched on this before. He said that there is going to be a fence-like wall that goes around the top to hide the HVAC equipment.

Edited by NCMike1990
  • Like 1

Here is the "fence" design that will hide HVAC.

PenthouseExt.jpg

Here is the "fence" design that will hide HVAC.

PenthouseExt.jpg

This picture leads me to my next question. Does anyone know how they will cover the concrete? I see the buildings finishes and edges as all white in renderings so I wonder if it will be a tiling or a covering or if it will be painted. anyone know?

This picture leads me to my next question. Does anyone know how they will cover the concrete? I see the buildings finishes and edges as all white in renderings so I wonder if it will be a tiling or a covering or if it will be painted. anyone know?

I have a friend who has purchased a unit there and he tells me the concrete is being painted with a special white polymer that repels dirt. He described it almost as a glazing of sorts. It's already being done on the lower levels.

I have a friend who has purchased a unit there and he tells me the concrete is being painted with a special white polymer that repels dirt. He described it almost as a glazing of sorts. It's already being done on the lower levels.

How Practical of them :-) If only there was something to repel dirt and mildew from EIFS, then there'd be some hope for epicentre!

Thanks for reposting that. I still have a question as to whether there are any plans to have the fence illuminated at night. I'm really hoping they will as I think our night-time skyline would greatly benefit from it.

Yes, it wiil be illuminated at night. If you go to http://www.vuecharlotte.com/ and click on "Virtual Tour" there is a video that showcases the Vue at night with skyline and the crown is illuminated.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

^^ re: the link above-----pardon me, but am I hearing this correctly? People actually jumped over a fence and went to the top of the Vue????

Security at the Vue sounds about as effective as security at the White House.

After looking at his website, I think this guy has been to the top of almost every construction project in Uptown.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll reserve final judgment until its complete, but I've got to say that right now, I'm not too fond of how the crown is turning out.

Yeah. They are much more solid and stark than what I envisioned, and also what is depicted in the renderings.

I also don't see how they will be illuminated as they don't appear to be able to be lit from behind and as already mentioned, just don't seem set back far enough to allow powerful lighting (not without really screwing up the ambiance of the penthouses right below it).

Hopefully there is some effect that will be worked in when it is all done, but the top is starting to really look cheap to me.

Edited by Urbanity

I wish the setbacks were done so that you could see setbacks from any angle. In that first photo from gigalopolis, it looks like Aon in Chicago or the old WTC buildings in NY (aka - boxy and boring)

I mostly agree with this. Picture #1 shows a boxy tower. Too bad they didn't do the setbacks as you mentioned. But anyway, I'm glad to see the tower almost complete. Maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised when the lighting is done.