The Vue

cooperdawg

Ah, Aon is one of my favorite buildings! So, I like Pic #1 the most.

I agree. I used to work in the Aon Center in Chicago and while it has an acquired taste (as did the WTC buildings) it is unmistakable. AON has girth and is very pronounced in the skyline...a landmark building. Hopefully the Vue can become something similar on a smaller scale.

How enviromentaly friendly will this building be? Does anyone know what ist LEED is?

LEED Pyrite. Nada, no Leed Certification, any environmentally friendly aspect of this building was cut whenever the spires were

Were they ever going to LEED here? I don't remember that at all.

However I suspect that the 'glaze' that 'repels dirt' is basically titanium dioxide. The good news is it also reduces nitrous oxide and VOCs in the air around it a bit when it repels the dirt, so it marginally helps to reduce smog. But really, it is all just a fancy way of saying "we are painting it white, using the chemical in most white paint, which does the following...". I'm pretty sure glaze is just a dessert sounding way of saying paint, by the way. Glaze sounds yummier than paint, though, I'll admit.

Were they ever going to LEED here? I don't remember that at all.

However I suspect that the 'glaze' that 'repels dirt' is basically titanium dioxide. The good news is it also reduces nitrous oxide and VOCs in the air around it a bit when it repels the dirt, so it marginally helps to reduce smog. But really, it is all just a fancy way of saying "we are painting it white, using the chemical in most white paint, which does the following...". I'm pretty sure glaze is just a dessert sounding way of saying paint, by the way. Glaze sounds yummier than paint, though, I'll admit.

Lets just say that if they ever had intentions of being LEED Certified their PR guys suck, because such was never announced. I think there were some rudimentary environmental features that were to be included, water recycling and reduction, and the likes... However I firmly believe everything not nailed down was downgraded ever so slightly.

Since they did seem to have good marketing, my guess is that anyone who heard these things were basically hearing of the environmental benefits of what they would have done anyway, like insulating glass, energy star appliances, all electric elevators, pool heated by the sun, etc.

None of the condo towers seemed to be aiming for LEED. Even the condo tower, when it was part of the Wachovia complex switched to 'sustainable' mode versus LEED quite a while before it was postponed. Sustainable being the term for more casual adoption of green attributes, versus doing enough to be certified, like taking a few college level classes that are easy and you're interested in rather than completing all the requirements to get a degree.

The Vue was never expected to go for LEED or put any emphasis on green or sustainable things. I do know, though, that at various stages in this 115 page thread people argued the positives and negatives of high rise residential projects and their green-ness.

I really noticed the crown/fence panels today coming from Tryon on Fifth and I had a stomach turning realization that if they were a dark silver the would look exactly like the old metal pull down store shutters that covered NYC storefronts for decades.

I know I'm just griping and the bigger issue here is that the building is being finished, but I really am a l saddened at the "crown." It just seems like a lost opportunity to add something to our skyline (at night).

Edited by Urbanity

InitialD, I know my photography skills aren't quite as good as yours, but you didn't have to upstage me like that! :P j/k

But seriously, you can clearly see in your shot how bland the "crown" looks. It would have looked much better if it were metallic. Or maybe they could have lopped five stories off and kept the spires.

Despite my grumbling about the crown, I think it actually works in one capacity: The far away view.

Last night I really noticed it coming home on 85/77/Brookshire. Not surprisingly, the father away you were, the better it looked, yet more important was that the crown helps define the building visually in the skyline from afar.

If they do something creative (or at least competent) with the lighting scheme for the top, I actually have hope for this being a better addition to the skyline than I initally thought when they started installing the crown panels.