The Vue

cooperdawg

Yeah, don't get me wrong, with the exception of the top of this thing, I think the Vue is actually a really nice building. The geometry, colors and detailing are all very nice. But then they stuck that pos on top and changed the game.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, with the exception of the top of this thing, I think the Vue is actually a really nice building. The geometry, colors and detailing are all very nice. But then they stuck that pos on top and changed the game.

And unfortunately it's the most visible part of the building. Sort of like a swimsuit model with a face like Amy Winehouse.

They don't make paper bags big enough for The Vue

Things always look better after a few drinks. Go to a nearby bar, have a couple and look at it again. You may surprise yourself with an new prospective. It works with women. Why would buildings be any different? thumbsup.gif

Edited by caterpillar2

Things always look better after a few drinks. Go to a nearby bar, have a couple and look at it again. You may surprise yourself with an new prospective. It works with women. Why would buildings be any different? thumbsup.gif

LMAO!!!!

Perhaps realtors should take prospective Vue buyers to a bar nearby, before showing the units. Beer goggles for buildings. As someone said earlier, they don't make proverbial paper bags that large.

However, I still think the Vue's lobby is terrific.

I've decided I like the "garage door" look of the Vue's crown. It adds a certain je ne sais quoi to our Southern sprawly, car-first metropolis. It will also look better when people live there and there are other lights on in the building.

I've decided I like the "garage door" look of the Vue's crown. It adds a certain je ne sais quoi to our Southern sprawly, car-first metropolis. It will also look better when people live there and there are other lights on in the building.

I guess if you aren't Manhattan, you are stuck with being a "sprawling, car-first metropolis. Don't know if "southern" has any significance. I don't think so.

If the crown was lit up with an array of colorful blinking, bug resistant lights, it could actually appear as a royal crown.

I think the image of garage doors was put in the minds of UP readers by someone and since most of us are disappointed with the cost-cut look compared to the original plans it has stuck in our minds. I've asked average people and no one has said it looks like garage doors, and everyone else seems fine with it.

Personally, I'm also disappointed, but I don't think it is a symbol of our car culture and I don't even think it looks like garage doors (which I think of like this: http://wescottridgecondos.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/garage-door.jpg ). 95% of the housing that people live in is architecturally mediocre.

We're used to multibillion companies building towers in this city. But none of the residential towers here are all that that great architecturally, and each have a major problem. Avenue has the weird brick parking deck wall, Catalyst has A/C vents everywhere, 230 S Tryon has that portico on the roof, The Park is TBD but the original design was awful, The Tower is just awful, Trademark and Courtside both have unattractive backs. My only problems with the Vue are the the upper 1/3 is setback farther than I think it should, and the crown. Not a big deal to me though.

I am very glad it is moving to completion and looks virtually finished outside.

i'm wouldn't keep your fingers crossed, but personally i reeeeallly don't care anymore

i'd like to reiterate how pleased i am with the street level along 5th though, for the amount of glass used it still feels quite inviting, and it now looks like 4, not 3 retail spaces. there's too much work yet to be done on the Pine side to really tell how it's going to feel.

I like the stone. I also like how they just decided to use the space up to the columns instead of having a sidewalk on either side. Pine is really not busy enough to have a sidewalk that wide, and they were able to use the space to add some retail, it seems like.

I hope when they reopen the street that Hangers would return, I was very disappointed they closed because it was the only non-toxic dry cleaner anywhere around here. But if not, then hopefully that spot can be reopened as something else. Hopefully the next level of neighborhood retail will open up in the new spots in the Vue also.

The street level is really not much to look at right now. They are installing the granite curbing and preparing for the sidewalk installation. I'm not sure if it will be brick or concrete (hopefully brick though). Once they get some more of their junk our of the way (fences, backhoes, etc) then I might go take a few shots.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not much activity on this thread. The exterior is just about done, brick pavers are in and the landscaping and street lights should be done next week. The lobby looks almost done and the onyx looks spectacular. Should be move ins in September. Any rumors on retail.

That's a huge pool compared to the other high rises. I can't wait to see lights on in this place. Hopefully everyone can close ok.

I'm relieved they didn't cut the travertine at the ground and other nice material choices. I guess they did reduce the quality of the appliances according to a friend that was shopping around there. But my grandfather's 30 year old, brown colored, something-or-other brand fridge kept the food cold just fine. I'm sure people will survive with the above average appliances over the super luxury ones.

What a difference a day makes. Trees, grass and street lights are up. Screens over the vents in the front of the building are up as well. Sandblasting VUE into the stone on Saturday and repaving street next Wed. Will be nice to see the fountain powered up any day. Good looking building--now for appraisals. COO in a couple of weeks.