Closing Urban "Donut Holes"

Charleston native

Here is an editorial in the P & C on municipal "donut holes" which I thought was interesting. This seems to be a step in the right direction as far as the bill that they want passed...better than the one that allows incorporation by some of these areas. This would help Charleston against another town of James Island forming, right? Charleston has quite a few "holes" in sections of James Island and West Ashley. It makes sense for areas in Mt. Pleasant too!

Editorial link, PLEASE READ before responding!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be a wonderful step in the right direction if this bill passed. Probably 75% of SC towns and cities would be affected. Charleston would probably be the largest beneficiary, as it has dozens of doughnut holes.

However, expecting anything remotely resembling "progress" out of the SC legislature is like hoping for world peace.

Perhaps! :D I prefer to take the more optimistic outlook on the sitation, but I really think that the only way things will truly change is when the people that are in the legislature change themselves. In other words, the legislature will have more common sense and less political people, which is the exact opposite right now in this state!

I think its a good idea. Cities like Greer and Rock Hill would benefit the most I think. It didn't specify on how much of a donut hole it would need to be. Does the city actually have to be incorporated around it? What if its just a section that is more of "U" around the property? I wonder if this will eventually lead to some looser annexation laws?

I think its a good idea. Cities like Greer and Rock Hill would benefit the most I think. It didn't specify on how much of a donut hole it would need to be. Does the city actually have to be incorporated around it? What if its just a section that is more of  "U" around the property? I wonder if this will eventually lead to some looser annexation laws?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It sounds like it will loosen annexation laws, but I don't know how that will circumvent or ignore the fact that people have to condone their annexation into a city. I believe the city does have to be incorporated...the wording gives the impression that specifically states an existing municipality.

Greer and Rock Hill would benefit from this bill, I agree with that. But there are so many cities in this state with these holes, I think it would benefit just about all of them.

A donut hole is an area that is 100% surrounded by the city limits, but is not itself in that city. I think the article said it had to be a relatively small area. I want to say 50 acres or less. This would be annexation without consent. The affected property owners would not have to approve, or petition the council to do it. Greer would benefit greatly. I would have to see a Rock Hill map to judge the impact to Rock Hill. I still think Charleston would gain the most of any SC city. Hundreds, maybe thousands of homes in West Ashley and James Island could be annexed under this measure.

Rock Hill looks similar to Greer. Perhaps less holes than Greer, but still they exist. I will post a map later on. I can see that Charleston would benefit the most. If this goes thouogh they could possibly thwart Jams Island's efforts to incoporate. If nothing else it would make it more difficult for James Island.

Rock Hill looks similar to Greer. Perhaps less holes than Greer, but still they exist. I will post a map later on. I can see that Charleston would benefit the most. If this goes thouogh they could possibly thwart Jams Island's efforts to incoporate. If nothing else it would make it more difficult for James Island.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Absolutely. As a matter of fact, annexation of one donut hole could lead to a formation of another donut hole, considering the land that Charleston has already. You basically would end up with a domino effect which would end up negating the minimum amount of people required to incorporate.

I've looked at Greer, and this bill would really help that city as well. It is amazing how many cities in SC look like piece-meal blocks of land. I'm nervous that there might be an idiot or two in the legislature that would block this bill, though.

It is amazing how many cities in SC look like piece-meal blocks of land. I'm nervous that there might be an idiot or two in the legislature that would block this bill, though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have it exactly backwards native. There will only be one or two intelligent souls in the legislature that will support this bill. Ok, maybe ten or twelve will, but the rest of them (there are 170 total) will either do nothing to pass it, or actively work against it. Glenn McConnell alone could and would stop it, if for no other reason than to satisfy the James Island incorporation proponents. McConnell and that crowd have already changed state law twice (both times unconstitutionally) in an attempt to incorporate that sham-town.

90% of the General Assembly membership wouldn't recognize progress if it bit them on the ass. This will be no different. I wish I could be more optimistic, but some things you just have to accept.

You have it exactly backwards native.  There will only be one or two intelligent souls in the legislature that will support this bill.  Ok, maybe ten or twelve will, but the rest of them (there are 170 total) will either do nothing to pass it, or actively work against it.  Glenn McConnell alone could and would stop it, if for no other reason than to satisfy the James Island incorporation proponents.  McConnell and that crowd have already changed state law twice (both times unconstitutionally) in an attempt to incorporate that sham-town. 

90% of the General Assembly membership wouldn't recognize progress if it bit them on the ass.  This will be no different.  I wish I could be more optimistic, but some things you just have to accept.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great point. Besides political gain, I have no other idea why McConnell is such an opponent of Charleston being entirely on James Island, but he has no problem with N. Chas. expanding and being virtually everywhere. Anyway, when would we expect a decision on this bill? How long would it take for it to get into the House and either blocked, ignored, or (very optimistically) passed?

Archived