Providence Sports

Vallon

What would you like to see most in Providence?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see most in Providence?

• New Football Stadium-Franchise
    • New Civic Center-Indoor Arena
    • New Ballpark for Red Sox minor-league team
    • New Ballpark AND New MLB Franchise

Remember when Bob Kraft was pitching a new stadium for the New England Patriots right here in Providence? Remember when Providence was "host city" of the AFC Championship game? Whether they were truly interested in building here, or it was just a ploy to make Boston jealous - it WAS intriguing...wasn't it?

It's been years since I've seen the proposed drawings, but if I remember correctly it was to be located on the banks of the Woonasquatucket... opposite the Foundry, and Providence Place. Most likely in the area where "Jefferson" is being built. I'm not sure whether or not that was the greatest location... but it's intriguing to think about.

At the time proposals for a new stadium were pitched to South Boston, Providence and even Hartford (do you remember how they wanted to build it over a former toxic dump and Route 84?). Since then Rowlands and Cianci got convicted - and the 3 Time... reigning Super Bowl Champs have a brand new world class facility in Foxboro, MA.

So here's some questions to ponder...

*What if Gillette Stadium actually was G-Tech Stadium?

*What if Providence became the host city of an NFL franchise?

*What if McCoy Stadium had never been renovated and the franchise was moved to a more central Providence location - what if the "P" on their caps stood for the Providence Red Sox? Sadly no more Paw Sox... but Pro Sox isn't too bad. ;)

*What if Providence once again was the home of a Major League Franchise... perhaps an NL team (that way it wouldn't interfere w/ the Red Sox... but could create a new New England/New York rivalry with ... The Mets for example.

<<Note>> The Providence Grays were one of the first teams in this history of Professional Baseball. Infact the Providence/NY Mets rivalry actually goes back 121 years when they swept all 3 games against the "New York Metropolitans" in the very first World Series which was held in 1884. This was the first time that the National League Champ (The Grays) matched up against the American Association Champ (The Mets). The Grays existed from 1878 to 1885... and in that time won the N.L. Pennant twice in 1879 and 1884, and finished 2nd from 1880-82. They played their home games at Messer Street Grounds which had the distinction of being the first ballpark to have a screen behind homeplate to protect fans from foul balls.

For more info on the Providence Grays checkout the Baseball Almanac here -

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/prov.shtml

&

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/yearly/yr1884n.shtml

I'm not crazy about the name "Grays"... but I think having a professional baseball team IN Providence is an exciting proposition. If for no other reason then I can get a baseball jersey w/ Providence on the front. B)

---

So what are your thoughts? Any ideas for a new baseball franchise in Providence? Locations for new ballparks/stadiums?

Also - if you want to contribute photos of existing arenas/ballparks or drawings of proposed ones - that would be great.

Any articles or press releases are also welcome. The whole purpose of the post is just to talk about Providence sports.

--vallon

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great topic, Vallon!

Hmmmm, its a tough one though. I love the PawSox, and Ben Mondor, the owner is really great and has done amazing things for the franchise, and I would hate to see The Bucket lose their team...

BUT

I would really love to see a beautiful new AAA ballpark built down in Providence, maybe down by the hospital complex, on the water (PacBell or whatever its called, anyone?) with a nice view of downtown. Could be really fantastic and spark development on the water in that area.

I voted for new football stadium, but what I mean is futbol. I think Providence should be home to a major league soccer team, whether it's the Revolution or someone new, I don't care. The stadium could also be used by the local colleges (for football and soccer) as well as hosting arena tours, monster truck rallies, what have you. I think Providence's large Hispanic and Portuguese populations would support a MLS team (ticket prices would have to not be out of control). The stadium could also host summer soccer camps for area youth.

Where to put it, that's a tough one? If there was space along Allens Ave. that could be good. I don't know if there's anyplace out towards Olneyville that could be large enough. Maybe the industrial park near Brewery Parkade on the Providence side of Route 10. If it could be jammed in by the mall, that would be ideal, but I'm not sure it could be, maybe if the Providence Journal facility moved.

I'd like to see The Dunk fixed up as well. But I don't think that is really a very fantastical idea, that will happen. Who knows what is going to happen with the NHL. There is a group of Boston businessmen trying to buy the entire league and all teams for $3.3billion. I'd be happy to see an eastern hockey league that included the minor league cities in the US and Canada. Forget about all this Florida, and San Jose, and Mighty Ducks crap, hockey should be played in places with snow on the ground.

I've also heard talk of trying to get a WNBA team if the Dunk ever gets fixed up, but I don't know what's actually up with that league, is it here to stay?

I would really love to see a beautiful new AAA ballpark built down in Providence, maybe down by the hospital complex, on the water (PacBell or whatever its called, anyone?) with a nice view of downtown. Could be really fantastic and spark development on the water in that area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was posting while you were, great minds think alike, I think Allens Ave. is probably the best place.

Great topic, Vallon!

Hmmmm, its a tough one though. I love the PawSox, and Ben Mondor, the owner is really great and has done amazing things for the franchise, and I would hate to see The Bucket lose their team...

BUT

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Eltron! :) - It's just something I can't help but think about when I think about Providence development. I have no disrespect whatsoever for Ben Mondor or what he's done with McCoy. They worked hard on that place, and it's one of the nicest AAA parks around. The fact that Pawtucket-Providence just hosted the AAA All-Star game is a testament to that.

But putting aside loyalty and good feelings for what Mondor has done with Pawtucket - I think having a ballpark built in the city with Providence's skyline over the outfield wall would be great. I like your suggestion of placing it on the waterfront. Perhaps with the relocation of 195, and the reconnection of the Jewelry District... it'll make that more possible and more attractive. I just think that Providence is a great baseball town. Don't get me wrong... I love the Red Sox - but people have talked for years about putting another franchise back in Boston to take advantage of the market. The Braves started out there before traveling to Milwaukee and settling in Atlanta. So why not have a baseball franchise here? I know that the Red Sox would fight it the same way that the Orioles were fighting DC on them landing the Expos franchise which became The Nationals. They don't want to lose revenue, or part of their "Red Sox Nation" - but let's face it... that's just marketing. I think having an NL team in New England along with an AL team makes things more interesting. If the New York Metro Area can have two professional teams... why can't the New England Metro Area?

If any city in New England is deserving of a team... I think it's Providence. Just my two cents... :)

I love the Red Sox - but people have talked for years about putting another franchise back in Boston to take advantage of the market.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wonder if the New England market could really support two baseball franchises. Sure New York, Chicago, and the Bay Area each have two, and soon Baltimore-Washington... but can we support it, do we want to support it? Will Red Sox fans split their loyalty between two teams?

By the way, the Celtics have been floating the idea of building their own arena because they are not happy with some aspects of their deal at the TD Banknorth Garden (last time I'll type that out, it's "The Gahden").

Not that they'd ever leave Boston, but we could ask. :blush:

Arena Football is another thing I think Providence could host. I saw an interview with Jon Bon Jovi who owns the arena team in Philadelphia and it is hugely successful. I really think these minor league teams are the future.

--I hate sports, why am I posting so much in this thread? :blink:

I voted for new football stadium, but what I mean is futbol. I think Providence should be home to a major league soccer team, whether it's the Revolution or someone new, I don't care. The stadium could also be used by the local colleges (for football and soccer) as well as hosting arena tours, monster truck rallies, what have you. I think Providence's large Hispanic and Portuguese populations would support a MLS team (ticket prices would have to not be out of control). The stadium could also host summer soccer camps for area youth.

I don't know if Soccer would be as big of a draw as Football or Baseball... but it's an interesting thought. I think that the Revolution has pretty much locked up interest for that sport here in New England. If soccer were to get bigger here in America than that might be something worth looking at - but despite Providence's Hispanic and Portuguese population - I don't think a large Soccer Stadium/Franchise in Providence is around the corner anytime soon. But we still can dream and talk about the possibilities...

Where to put it, that's a tough one? If there was space along Allens Ave. that could be good. I don't know if there's anyplace out towards Olneyville that could be large enough. Maybe the industrial park near Brewery Parkade on the Providence side of Route 10. If it could be jammed in by the mall, that would be ideal, but I'm not sure it could be, maybe if the Providence Journal facility moved.

What if the Dunk was demolished along with the current ProJo facilities... could that free up enough space for a stadium there? Because the Dunk is smaller... I think a new Arena could be built elsewhere in the city. But the way current development is thinking with the "Power Block"... the chances that anyone does anything like that is slim. They'll prolly just fix up the current Civic Center. I think The Promenade area or the Waterfront are the two most likely areas where a large sports facility could be accomodated.

I'd like to see The Dunk fixed up as well. But I don't think that is really a very fantastical idea, that will happen. Who knows what is going to happen with the NHL. There is a group of Boston businessmen trying to buy the entire league and all teams for $3.3billion. I'd be happy to see an eastern hockey league that included the minor league cities in the US and Canada. Forget about all this Florida, and San Jose, and Mighty Ducks crap, hockey should be played in places with snow on the ground.

I don't think the NHL deal is going to go through. However I do like the idea of keeping hockey in the snow states/territories... and including more New England cities. It would be nice to see major competition between New England cities again - New Haven, Hartford, Worcester, Providence, Boston, Lowell, Springfield, Manchester, Portsmouth, Portland, Burlington... etc. I think the only problem with that is a lack of talent. If the NHL was dissolved completely and players were drawn to Northeast/Atlantic League... I think it might be a possibility. But chances are other regions would come up with their own leagues as well.

I've also heard talk of trying to get a WNBA team if the Dunk ever gets fixed up, but I don't know what's actually up with that league, is it here to stay?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That could be interesting... but doesn't Mohegan Sun have their own team? The "Connecticut Sun" or something. If the Celtics actually had a strong farm team system... I think that might get a bigger draw than Woman's B-Ball... but I don't think a system like that exists. I don't know how successful a WNBA team would be... but it's and interesting possibility.

I love McCoy, it's like having a park in the middle of Dorchester or Jamaica Plain. My brothers and sister and I bring their kids on bobble-head doll night every year though Lowell is right up the street. Why? McCoy has more personality than 75% of major league facilities and some municipal boundry can't take away from that.

btw-Rhode Island is truly famous in the sports universe for two things...Jai Lai and candlepin bowling.

I love McCoy, it's like having a park in the middle of Dorchester or Jamaica Plain. My brothers and sister and I bring their kids on bobble-head doll night every year though Lowell is right up the street. Why? McCoy has more personality than 75% of major league facilities and some municipal boundry can't take away from that.

btw-Rhode Island is truly famous in the sports universe for two things...Jai Lai and candlepin bowling.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe Providence should just annex Pawtucket (or part of it at least) and turn that into the newest Providence neighborhood. That probably will happen eventually regardless. The city will continue to grow, regardless of those boundaries. I just like the idea of a ballpark that is more connected to the heart of Providence.

I was posting while you were, great minds think alike, I think Allens Ave. is probably the best place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ha! Agreed...

Allens Ave. is definitely the best place...for alternatives, how 'bout the Walmart on Charles/Silverspring? Close to downtown, and would have a view of the Statehouse, and certainly better than a Walmart...

I don't know if Soccer would be as big of a draw as Football or Baseball... but it's an interesting thought. I think that the Revolution has pretty much locked up interest for that sport here in New England. If soccer were to get bigger here in America than that might be something worth looking at - but despite Providence's Hispanic and Portuguese population - I don't think a large Soccer Stadium/Franchise in Providence is around the corner anytime soon. But we still can dream and talk about the possibilities...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We'd probably have to steal the Revolution from Gillette to make MLS work in Providence, we couldn't have two MLS teams within 30 miles of each other. But I do think the immigrant populations in Providence would support an MLS team more if it were right here in the city, rather than in Foxboro. When I lived in Queens I thought the same thing about building a MLS stadium in Flushing Meadows near Shea Stadium. MLS in New York plays in Jersey, there are tens of thousands of people in Queens though that don't go to those games.

What if the Dunk was demolished along with the current ProJo facilities... could that free up enough space for a stadium there? Because the Dunk is smaller... I think a new Arena could be built elsewhere in the city. But the way current development is thinking with the "Power Block"... the chances that anyone does anything like that is slim. They'll prolly just fix up the current Civic Center. I think The Promenade area or the Waterfront are the two most likely areas where a large sports facility could be accomodated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was thinking of the Providence Journal facility over in the Promenade area, right next to the Dean Street exit on 6/10. The Dunk ain't going anywhere, and even if it did, there's still not enough room for a stadium there. There might not be enough room where I'm thinking either, but part of it could go over the train tracks and 6/10.

I don't think the NHL deal is going to go through. However I do like the idea of keeping hockey in the snow states/territories... and including more New England cities. It would be nice to see major competition between New England cities again - New Haven, Hartford, Worcester, Providence, Boston, Lowell, Springfield, Manchester, Portsmouth, Portland, Burlington... etc. I think the only problem with that is a lack of talent. If the NHL was dissolved completely and players were drawn to Northeast/Atlantic League... I think it might be a possibility. But chances are other regions would come up with their own leagues as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Something's gotta happen to the NHL, the season was cancelled and nobody cared. Screw the Stanley Cup, I'd rather see a championship game amongst the teams in New England, Atlantic Canada, and Quebec. Although even with the strike, the P-Bruins ticket sales were off this year, it's almost as if people simply forgot about hockey altogether.

That could be interesting... but doesn't Mohegan Sun have their own team? The "Connecticut Sun" or something. If the Celtics actually had a strong farm team system... I think that might get a bigger draw than Woman's B-Ball... but I don't think a system like that exists. I don't know how successful a WNBA team would be... but it's and interesting possibility.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mohegan Sun has their own WNBA team?! I HATE MOHEGAN SUN! :angry:

Allens Ave. is definitely the best place...for alternatives, how 'bout the Walmart on Charles/Silverspring? Close to downtown, and would have a view of the Statehouse, and certainly better than a Walmart...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I totally forgot about that part of the city (probably because it is totally forgetable), I'm sure a chunk of land big enough for a stadium could be cobbled together from the half empty strip malls along North Main Street or Charles Street or anywhere in between, along Branch Ave.

Maybe Providence should just annex Pawtucket (or part of it at least) and turn that into the newest Providence neighborhood. That probably will happen eventually regardless. The city will continue to grow, regardless of those boundaries. I just like the idea of a ballpark that is more connected to the heart of Providence.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A nice trolley line from Kennedy Plaza to McCoy would make it feel more like it was part of Providence.

The ancient municipal borders in New England are funny but are part of who we are. Look at London with the City of Westminster. I think we should view these things as part of the organic fabric that comprises our cities. It sets us apart from the unwashed masses of auto-centric grid cities. The only downside is we have to listen to people from Houston claim to be the 4th largest city in the US. If Providence was physically 10 times its current size, like Houston it would have 750,000 people(?). Boston would be almost 3 million.

If Providence was physically 10 times its current size, like Houston it would have 750,000 people(?). Boston would be almost 3 million.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like our just under 200k population, it's like we're a little secret. Sshh, don't tell anyone, there's a giant city in Rhode Island. :whistling:

My completely irrational vote was for a major league ballpark/franchise. I mean, who wouldn't want to spend a warm summer evening down on the waterfront south of the just-opened new I-195 cutover, in a classically designed ballpark open to the water along one outfield line so boaters can enjoy the game for free (The Green Harbor?).

The Providence Grays trounced the Yankees Tuesday night at Hasbro Park. Film at eleven.

Something's gotta happen to the NHL, the season was cancelled and nobody cared. Screw the Stanley Cup, I'd rather see a championship game amongst the teams in New England, Atlantic Canada, and Quebec.

That would be awesome - but what about Toronto, Detroit & Chicago? I think those are all pretty big hockey towns. But I like the idea of limiting the league to New England, Atlantic Canada and Quebec. I think that makes the most sense geographically. Maybe they could start out with individual leagues like that... that would eventually become new divisions. That would be the eastern division... then you have Minneapolis, Chicago, Toronto & Detroit in a central division... and Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver and other teams in the west... but no teams further south than the Mason-Dixon line.

Mohegan Sun has their own WNBA team?! I HATE MOHEGAN SUN!  :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://www.wnba.com/sun/

A nice trolley line from Kennedy Plaza to McCoy would make it feel more like it was part of Providence.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a great idea! But I think that the entire metro transit in RI needs to be reevaluated as a whole. I think that creating connections between McCoy and Providence make a lot of sense. I think that creating connections between the airport and Providence make sense (I don't know if there are such connections right now - maybe someone can elaborate). But in Boston you have shuttles that take you to Fenway on game day... so why not have the same for McCoy and Gillette?

Would it be possible to create commuter rails/trams? The rail system as a whole is messed up right now. But at one time, people could take a train from Woonsocket and go to Providence or Worcester. Now old tracks are primarily used for freight... and occasionally a rare "scenic" train ride. I remember people talking years ago about high speed trams between the airport and downcity Providence. What happened to that? Is that idea dead? What types of connections do we have between the airport and downtown aside from taxis and shuttle buses?

I think there needs to be more connections between Providence and the rest of the state.

That's a great idea! But I think that the entire metro transit in RI needs to be reevaluated as a whole.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Check out AriPVD's thread on public transit in Providence.

Petah Griffin Pock has a nice ring to it...  :rofl:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:thumbsup:

Archived