Exclusive: Public Pier Planned for Shipyards

bobliocatt

A downtown pier; which one, or both?

by J. Brooks Terry

Staff Writer

For years, ardent advocates have rallied behind plans to convert the old Fuller Warren Bridge into a public pier. But now that a recently released proposal for The Shipyards makes similar provisions for riverfront access, the City may be questioning if refurbishing the crumbling structure should still be a priority.

As part of LandMar Group

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. When LandMar announced the new pier ont eh North Bank, I was pleased in thinking that we'd have 2 piers for the "River City".

$2 million could be recouped from additional revenue generated in the vicinity of the South bank pier. Put an attraction on it for a few more grand more and it would really increase revenue potential.

though I realy like the idea of the peir on the southbank. How would the issue of access/traffic be addressed. Baptist has already said they are strongly opposed to that due to the possiblity that it would interfere with emergency vehicles. Don't misread me, I REALY want that peir there too, but some serious traffic issues will need to be addressed, and (this is why im not a developer) considering how dense everyhting is getting in that area, i dont see how they can change traffic patters much.

The one possibilty i could think is a parking garage somewhat offsite, and a dedicated mini trolly or light rail system that just goes back and forth from the garage to the peir. (kinda like the disney parking lot trolleys) Anyway, like i said, though I love the idea, and want to see it go through, traffic will be a huge issue there if we do that.

The only other possiblity i could think of is incorporate it into the river walk and not realy have parking access to it, only walking access. i dont see that being very feasible though.

Anyway something to chew on

Cheers

How much traffic are we really talking about here? For automobiles, the site could easily be accessed by using Le Baron Avenue, in San Marco near Nemour's Childrens Clinic. Parking could be constructed under the I-95 bridge.

With that layout, Baptist Medical doesn't have a leg to stand on. Other than that, just extend the Southbank Riverwalk, which is already proposed with the Riverpointe project. Most who use the pier most likely wouldn't mind walking along the riverwalk as well.

How much traffic are we really talking about here?  For automobiles, the site could easily be accessed by using Le Baron Avenue, in San Marco near Nemour's Childrens Clinic.  Parking could be constructed under the I-95 bridge. 

With that layout, Baptist Medical doesn't have a leg to stand on.  Other than that, just extend the Southbank Riverwalk, which is already proposed with the Riverpointe project.  Most who use the pier most likely wouldn't mind walking along the riverwalk as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. I see this pier as merely an extention of the Southbank Riverwalk. People can and do park in several places throughout the Southbank to access the Riverwalk. Personally, I doubt there will be much fishing, probably more jogging, strolling and picture taking from the pier as much as anything.

Baptist is making too much of the parking issue IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

This is from the Jaxdailyrecord.com

LandMar making progress at Shipyards

LandMar is seeking zoning changes to the shipyards.

by Kent Jennings Brockwell

Staff Writer

Though The Shipyards project has faced its share of trouble and set backs in the past, it looks like LandMar

Archived