NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

^^  LOVE IT!  BTW, aren't NASCAR's origins in NC/VA...something about bootleggers...?

Anyhow, as person who grew up in the provincial states of New England, I've grown to appreciate NASCAR and think that Charlotte could do well to land the HOF.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe that the NASCAR Hall of Fame will be a wonderful addition to the City and to the the State of North Carolina. In terms of funding, I do believe that private investment should make up the bulk of the financing, especially from the racing industry. I do believe that the racing industry will benefit the most from the exposure this facility to bring to the sport.

the county owns hal marshall site, but i still get your point.

Hal marshall land seems to be the answer for everything lately. Maybe the Knights can join with the private group seeking the nascar museum so that they can share the land.

Personally, i'd rather it be used for condos and office towers, but i guess sports venues and museums are already a major part of first ward, that it makes sense for that area, and may even provide some cross-pollenation opportunities. (nascar visitor going to levine new south museum, or baseball fans swinging by the mint museum after one of the bars.).

Breaking News courtesy of News 14...the site for the NASCAR Hall of Fame is ......

The Arnold Palmer Cadillac plot. This land is city owned and its original purpose was for future expansion of the Charlotte Convention Center. This block is bounded by Brevard, Stonewall, and Caldwell. It also has direct access to 277. It is currently a parking lot.

The other interesting news is that IM Pei has been selected to design to Charlotte NASCAR Hall of Fame. Pei designed the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, and the Louvre expansion in Paris.

Just the proposal for this Hall of Fame will cost $1M.

More details later.

Kinda suprised by this site, but I guess its close enough to the Westin and room to expand around it. I think this site will be greatly inhanced if they ever capped 277 and build the park on it. I guess the Westin will also be the closest transist stop? I'm very impressed they selected I M Pei as architect. The R&R HoF is a stand out building, so I think Charlotte will get something special too.

Don't be so quick to push Richmond aside. They are very much dedicated to the project. It has regional support and the governor and the legislature are backing it 100%. An organization called Virginians Racing for the Hall of Fame has been assembled. Just because Richmond isn't as vocal about its efforts doesnt mean they don't materialize. Richmond beat out research triangle and just landed the $300 million Philip Morris research facility, a deal that was tight lipped until last week.

Here is a Times-Dispatch Article from last thursday discussing the bid...

When NCNB was looking to build the new Corporate Center, it came down to Pei and Pelli. People who have seen his design say it was incredible.

Maybe we could just get Ghazi to donate the nine pyramids from the old Civic Center and call it a day. I.M. could add a little umph to them and we could call it the "La Pyramides de Auto"

Seriously, I like Pei and hope that if this comes to pass, we get a good, forward thinking structure out of it.

Archived