NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

Pei also designed this piece of ass that defiles downtown Augusta

Hat tip to Topher for the photograph: (mods please let me know if it's ok to hotlink his photo, if not I can place a link to it)

It's the "toaster" looking thing that sits on top of the building on the left. Hopefully we'll get his Bank of China energy, and not something like this:

agsskyline34wt.jpg

I've noticed that everyone has mentioned charlotte is competing with daytona and kansas city and alabama. However, Richmond has also thrown its hat into the competition. Does that change the dynamic at all?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Michigan has joined in the competition as well. Why you ask? Its the home of Ford & Chevy.

This will get very interesting with all this competition. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up passing over charlotte, as the sport seems to be sliding away from some of its carolinian roots.

I'm glad they picked the 2nd ward site. That is definitely the focal area of interstate tourism, with the convention center and large amount of hotel rooms. It is also only 1 block from the transit stop, which is very close.

I must say, though, that i'm glad it isn't in first ward for many reasons.

I.M. Pei, i believe, is in the most elite tier architects globally. People who don't know buildings or architecture often have heard of him and are impressed by his name. That is a great choice, that will bode well for our proposal.

A recent Atlanta Journal Constitution atricle said that Charlotte is viewed as the frontrunner. These are the advantages of each site as I see them.

Charlotte - history of racing in state, involvement of racing teams, selection of I.M. Pei as architect.

Atlanta - huge corporate base, many major nascar sponsor headquarters are located there.

Daytona - home of the nascar headquarters

Richmond - home of nextel (the title sponsor of nascar)

Kansas City - central location in the US, selection of HOK Architects (world famous for their designs of sports venues)

Michigan - home of the auto makers

All of these appear to have aggrements for some state funding as well.

lol.

many will park at their hotels, as they do for a conventions. I'm sure dedicated parking will also be included. they may have to leave their trailers at the speedway, though. :)

That is another benefit to locating near the lightrail/trolley, as parking might be a bit of an issue if attendance is as high as expected. Eventually, they will be able to take the NE light rail line almost to the speedway. They could also park at one of the many parking decks along the line downtown and take the trolley to the HOF.

I hope that charlotte gets this. the caldwell/brevard/stonewall/belk/south interchange is one of the most focal and heavily used gateways into downtown, and a well-designed IM PEI tourist destination will be a dramatic plus for the city. It also beats the current surface lots that surround the area.

I'm guess this could cause an increase in need for hotel space. who knows, maybe the hilton garden inn and hampton inn will finally expand into their original plans. (The 3rd section would go between the elevator towers, that are now being converted to a clock tower.)

A recent Atlanta Journal Constitution atricle said that Charlotte is viewed as the frontrunner. These are the advantages of each site as I see them.

Charlotte - history of racing in state, involvement of racing teams, selection of I.M. Pei as architect.

Atlanta - huge corporate base, many major nascar sponsor headquarters are located there.

Daytona - home of the nascar headquarters

Richmond - home of nextel (the title sponsor of nascar)

Kansas City - central location in the US, selection of HOK Architects (world famous for their designs of sports venues)

Michigan - home of the auto makers

All of these appear to have aggrements for some state funding as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Richmond is not the home of Nextel...Nextel is based in Reston, VA which is a suburb of Washington DC. Also, Nextel is being bought by Sprint which is based in Kansas City. Richmond is the home of another major sponsor...Phillip Morris...aka Altria.

all the bids for this project, however steep their battles may be or not, will make competition fierce. They will each have money to throw, and it will become more of a numbers matter, than strength of intangeables. just like everything else in this country, history schmystery...show me the money.

dubone.....agreed.....regardless of my disinterest in NASCAR, I whole-heartedly want someone to tell Bill France and his whole France klan to fukk off. Due to the fact that unlike every other sport in which team owners have an equity interest in the league, the Frances have complete control, and make decisions based on how they will most profit.

i guess we'll find out.

my hope would be that charlotte (which arguably has the most intangeables of history, teams, allstar location, etc.) rounds up the most private money and the best location on "free" land. If that happens, it will have enough of a story (being in charlotte), design (IM Pei), and location (uptown among hotels, and major tranportation corridors) to bring it here.

I really don't want to see local government contributing more than land and infrasture improvements to get it here. There should be enough private money, and would hate to see money diverted from the other planned economic development and arts projects that were already being investigated.

I think that a large statue of Calvin should be erected adjacent to the site with a strategically placed fountain to simulate him pissing on the museum

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Charlotte's own Mannequin Piss (ala Brusselles). Somehow i doubt that Bill Waterson will sign off on the licensing the copyright image (i think all those bumper stickers are pirated :)). he is quite the stickler.

The building could also have elements of a moonshine distillery, to harken back to heritage of smuggling moonshine through the carolina hills.

Charlotte's own Mannequin Piss (ala Brusselles). Somehow i doubt that Bill Waterson will sign off on the licensing the copyright image (i think all those bumper stickers are pirated :)).  he is quite the stickler.

The building could also have elements of a moonshine distillery, to harken back to heritage of smuggling moonshine through the carolina hills.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is the problem - Bill Waterson never believed in copyrighting, so all those Calvin knock offs are legal.

That is the problem - Bill Waterson never believed in copyrighting, so all those Calvin knock offs are legal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You don't have to believe in "copyrighting" in order to have protection for your works of authorship. Copyright protection is inherent in the work of authorship due to state law without registration. Failure to register also doesn't deprive one of federal protection. Registering with the federal copyright office can be done at any time during the life of the protection and is only needed to pursue certain remedies. Ergo, unless he assigned his interests, or somehow expressly donated them to the public, I think he still probably does possess the copyright protection.

You don't have to believe in "copyrighting" in order to have protection for your works of authorship.  Copyright protection is inherent in the work of authorship due to state law without registration.  Failure to register also doesn't deprive one of federal protection.  Registering with the federal copyright office can be done at any time during the life of the protection and is only needed to pursue certain remedies.  Ergo, unless he assigned his interests, or somehow expressly donated them to the public, I think he still probably does possess the copyright protection.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Correction to myself - licensing is what I was thinking of, not copyrighting. But honestly I know little of these legal issues, all I know is from reading of him he did lament that his decision which was due to opposition to the capitalization of characters he treasured, resulted in abuse by unscrupelous profiteers.

Archived