NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

Someone should tell that to the crazy Canadian that last year proposed to build the world's tallest building in KC, with the worlds largest mall included, world's tallest hotel rooms (starting at $1000/night), and a giant theme park.....the building was proposed in the suburban countryside of KC. He actually received support from the local EDC, and was trying to sell shares of stock to fund it......he should have checked FAA regulations first, as this baby was 100' over the allowable height.....though I'm sure that's not the only thing that sunk this project......but it would have made a great NASCAR museum!

Ballroom driven by NASCAR - and more

Charlotte's half-booked Convention Center loses money every year. Teleconferencing and tighter corporate travel spending keep hammering the convention business. Nationally, there's too much meeting space.

So why does the city want to spend $37.5 million on a new Convention Center ballroom?

One big reason, organizers contend, is the potential synergy with the proposed NASCAR hall of fame, which would be attached to the ballroom and provide a steady source of big events.

Crash Course in NASCAR Nation

TALLADEGA , Ala. - We'll start with a three-part riddle.

How do you design a building that captures the essence of speed, a companionship with death, and the almost spiritual pleasure of a Sunday morning Budweiser?

A building that's true to a sport evolving so quickly that its past, and future barely run on the same lap? A design distinctive enough to hand uptown Charlotte an architectural icon, welcoming enough to give NASCAR nation a true place to call home?

In less than a month, Yvonne Szeto and Bruce White must come up with an answer, one that could make or break Charlotte's quest for the NASCAR Hall of Fame. Their drawings will be at the heart of a city proposal that must be in NASCAR's hands by May 31. Their goal: the embodiment of a developing sport and city.

A month ago, the two members of the internationally acclaimed firm of Pei, Cobb Freed & Partners started reading everything they could find about the sport. Szeto's first choice: "NASCAR for Dummies."

They didn't have time to wait for a Charlotte race. So they've come here for their first gulp of pure NASCAR in their search for more clues.

On the presentation to city council from last week, the exact location for the HOF was marked on the map as the northern half. It is bounded by 2nd, Brevard, Caldwell, and what would be 1 St (and perhaps they will add first street back to this block). I believe that ABC is or was on this block. I'm mildly disappointed it isn't on Stonewall, but it does allow for more nearby development opportunities. it may change, anyway.

This is from yesterdays Atlanta Journal-Constitution article Decision rests in insiders' hands.

NASCAR scouts will visit each of the cities after the bids come in at the end of the month, Davidson said. During those visits, each city will have a chance to make its case, showcase its site and generally wow NASCAR officials.

After that, an inside NASCAR committee will make recommendations to the board, which will make the final decision.

Meanwhile, the competing cities are trying to pull ahead of the pack.

Charlotte has chosen a site, hired a world-famous architect and raised its hotel-motel tax to pay for the hall, according to The Charlotte Observer. Daytona Beach, after weeks of lobbying, may be closer to landing $30 million from the Florida Legislature to help steer NASCAR its way. Richmond has launched a Web site, www.bringthehalltorichmond.com.

Meanwhile, Atlanta's bid team is still quietly trying choose among a handful of sites and scrape together $70 million to $90 million to build the hall.

Don't worry, said A.J. Robinson, president of Central Atlanta Progress, the downtown business group that's leading the local NASCAR effort. "We'll have everything done and have an extremely competitive bid," he said.

Sheer numbers may be Atlanta's best driver. Given the 17 million who come to the metro area every year for conventions, Braves games, college football and other events, the city's bid team estimates a NASCAR hall of fame here could draw 1 million people a year.

That many visitors would make an Atlanta NASCAR attraction the most visited hall of fame of any sport

Seems like a low-ball number.

The NC Auto Hall of Fame in Mooresville attracts something like 300,000 a year (according to NC Dept of Commerce)....and it is a dump.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It seems like if ATL or KC can get 1m people, so can charlotte. Especially if the NC Auto HOF gets almost 400k. I am just confused as to how they could come to such a low number. If i were Nascar, i'd pick the one that could attract the most visitors...

It seems like if ATL or KC can get 1m people, so can charlotte.  Especially if the NC Auto HOF gets almost 400k.  I am just confused as to how they could come to such a low number.  If i were Nascar, i'd pick the one that could attract the most visitors...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't see how they can forecast 1 million a year. That seems like quite an exageration. Perhaps the city/LMS can set up a shutle system from the Speedway downtown to ferry NASCAR race attendees to and from the HOF to boost attendance, at least until the NE transit corridor is set up. Will light rail go by the track?

that's true. but also the high speed rail corridor will run between concord and downtown in less than 5 years. But i agree that an express bus would contribute, too.

1m actually seems reasonable, especially considering 300k for the NC A HOF... but it just seems like charlotte's 400k estimate is too low.

Charlotte's estimates do seem somewhat low, but 1 million is a bit high for Charlotte. I can see Atlanta, posssibly KCity(but unlikely) getting that amount since a lot of people do visit the Atlanta area on a yearly basis and just not during certain times. I think Charlotte could support an average 500-600,000 visitors a year for the HOF. Althought I think these numbers will decrease after the opening year or two, no matter where it is built.

The state of Kansas has passed a bill that would allow Kansas City to issue bonds to help finance construction for the nascar hof.

Some more info on their bid:

The UG has hired a team of professionals to make plans for the Hall of Fame, but they're keeping a tight lid on those plans until they're presented to NASCAR. The team includes the architectural firm of Hellmuth, Obata and Kassabaum, Inc. (HOK), the Kansas City Area Development Council, Stifel Nicholas and Company as investors, and Grant Thornton, as accountants, and many others.

Bob Marcus, president and chief executive officer of the Kansas City Area Development Council, said the team is keeping quiet on plans for the Hall of Fame until they're presented to NASCAR in May.

"Each one of the communities is developing its own plans and proposals, which will be submitted to NASCAR by the end of May," Marcus said. "Only NASCAR will know what each is proposing."

He would only say that the proposed site for the Hall of Fame would be at the intersection of Interstate 435 and Interstate 70 in Wyandotte County. Marcus said the entire team is enthusiastic about the project.

"We have used our best talents and imagination and I believe we have a very exciting proposal for them," he said. "We are doing this because we believe it will draw 750,000 to 1 million visitors a year. The economic impact on Wyandotte County would be tremendous."

Full story here.

Looking at a map, the intersection of I-435 & I-70 is in western KC. It appears to be near the county fairgrounds, I'm not sure where the KC speedway is in relation to this area. Also found it interesting that they metioned 750,000 - 1,000,000 visitors/year. Everything I've seen printed prior to this said 1 million so it makes me wonder where their getting their numbers from.

i don't think any of the contenders for this hof are anything but serious competition for charlotte. KC wants to be the center of the new coast to coast market of modern nascar...

I'm curious why both KC and ATL have 2 1/2 times the attendance projections... but i don't doubt that any of these locations can pull equal or more than charlotte can. Each has money, each has people, and each has a reason why the hof would go well in their city. I just hope that Charlotte's nascar heritage, having 90% of the teams and almost all the drivers living within 50 miles, and having big stars (like richard petty) pushing charlotte's bid will make the difference.

Hey everyone,

I was looking at websites about cities bids for the Hall of Fame, and found this website:

http://www.thatsracin.com/mld/thatsracin/s...r_hall_of_fame/

There is an area to vote for which city should receive the hall of fame, and it looks like Kansas City has flooded it with votes.

I doubt this kind of stuff really matters in the decision, but I think it would be nice to see Charlotte win this poll... we are currently at 3417 votes when I last looked, while Kansas City has 8287...

Everyone hit it up and see if we can sway it ;) !!!!

With just over three weeks left until bids are due in for the NASCAR Hall of Fame, more information is starting to come out about the proposals. Here is the information I've seen so far:

Charlotte

Projected attendance: 400,000 per year

Project cost: $137 million for HoF and Convention Center Ballroom

-$37.5 million from convention center fund

-$65 million from 2% rise in hotel tax

-$34.5 million from state and private sources

Architect: Yvonne Szeto of Pei, Cobb, Freed, & Partners

Exhibit Design: Morris Architects

Marketing Agency: Interpublic Group

Financial Planning: Nelson Schwab, executive at Venture capital

Bid team leaders:

-Rick Hendrick - "crew cheif"

-Cathy Bessant - Bank of America executive

-Luther Cochrane - board chairman of Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority

-Pat McCrory - Charlotte Mayor

Atlanta

Location: Downtown likely at Centennial Olympic Park One possibility: Cousins Properties has offered to donate a site, they have the right to build on top of the CNN Center parking deck at Centennial Park.

Projected attendance: 1,000,000 per year Expected to draw from 17 million annual visitors who come to Atlanta for conventions or other reasons.

Projected cost: $70 - $90 million

Architect: E. Verner Johnson & Associates

Design Consultant: PGAV

Food Service & Retail Design: AAD:Fitch

Financial Services: Deloitte Consulting

Bid team leaders:

-Bill Elliot - honorary chairman

-Scott Wilfong - president of SunTrust Bank

-Mark Lazarus - president of Turner Entertainment

Kansas City

Projected attendance: 750,000 - 1,000,000 per year Kansas Speedway is a part of a large entertainment complex which also contains a minor league baseball stadium and a large regional mall. This site draws about 10 million visitors and shoppers per year.

Project cost: $100 million - state government gave power to pass bonds to help finance construction

Architect: HOK Inc.

Accounting: Grant Thorton

Investors: Stifel Nicholas & Company and Kansas City Area Development Council

Daytona

Projected attendance: 406,300 per year

Projected cost: $70 - $86 million

-land donated from speedway

-30 million from state*

-rest from private sources

*the state money didn't get passed before legislative session closed on Friday. Officials say they will still make a bid trying to get more private money or possibly take out loans.

Richmond

Projected attendance: 500,000 per year

Projected cost: $100 million - mix of public and private money

Michigan

How I see the bids ranking as of now

Leader

-Atlanta: corporate money and strong tourist base

Contenders

-Charlotte: the advantages have been discussed a thousand times, low attendance projections could hurt

-Kansas City: I think they will end up with a strong bid and a factor that has been overlooked: Kansas Speedway is owned by International Speedway Corp. which is run by the France family who controls nascar

Dark Horse

-Richmond: they have been pretty quiet, but they should end up with a solid presentation

Out Of Race:

Daytona: probably would have been a lock to get it if they had a competitive bid

Michigan: ????

It should be interesting to see what the final bids end up looking like.

Do you think we low-balled our attendance projection? And because we gave our projections first the other cities were able to find a way to make theirs higher to 1up us. I know Atlanta is going to have the highest attendance, but I just dont see Charlotte having lower figures then Richmond or half as much as KC. With 3 races occuring here, the history in the region and all the shops stationed in the area, I cant imagine Charlotte being so far behind in the pack...

It was a mistake to announce publicly all our plans.

is there any hope that charlotte will revise its visitor estimate? I still can't get over that our estimate is only 30% more than the visitor numbers to the piddly NC auto hall of fame nearby.

Will having the all-star race here right before the bids are due help, too? Perhaps people coming here can make some sort of statement.

Archived