NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

what do you guys think of a fountain that uses motoroil instead of water?  It is somewhat random, but i think it might look fairly cool, because of the golden color and different physics.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it would be a great place to put out a cigarette.

what do you guys think of a fountain that uses motoroil instead of water?  It is somewhat random, but i think it might look fairly cool, because of the golden color and different physics.

That's an accident just waiting to happen.

Charlotte's leaders have unveiled a new petition for the nascar hall of fame:

Charlotte Mayor Pat McCrory and Charlotte Chamber of Commerce President Cathy Bessant, along with officials from Concord, Kannapolis, and Mooresville, announced their latest campaign to bring the NASCAR Hall of Fame to the Queen City.

They used a NASCAR-style stock car as their petition for the public to sign. It was located in the middle of Uptown Charlotte, on Trade Street and Tryon.

They also handed out buttons with the slogan, "Racing was built here. Racing belongs here."

Apparently the race car/petition will remain uptown until the end of May.

Full story at http://www.wsoctv.com/sports/4467242/detail.html

Mobuchu, I agree with you. I think Charlotte was to quick to release details about their bid.

Nevermind looks like the petition car will be traveling around the state for a couple weeks. http://www.wfmynews2.com/news/local_state/...x?storyid=40726

is there any hope that charlotte will revise its visitor estimate?  I still can't get over that our estimate is only 30% more than the visitor numbers to the piddly NC auto hall of fame nearby. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If we revise our numbers, so will everyone else.

I'm only suggesting a revision to more closer to what is likely. I really think that based on everything else, 400k is way lower than what would actually happen if it were in Charlotte.

Perhaps they could revise them "secretly" and put "400k- 700k" as a conservative estimate in their final bid.

Mostly, I'm interested in being accurate. It would not be good to lose the bid based on an overly-conservative estimate, while others might be a little liberal in their numbers.

I'm only suggesting a revision to more closer to what is likely.  I really think that based on everything else, 400k is way lower than what would actually happen if it were in Charlotte. 

Perhaps they could revise them "secretly" and put "400k- 700k" as a conservative estimate in their final bid. 

Mostly, I'm interested in being accurate.  It would not be good to lose the bid based on an overly-conservative estimate, while others might be a little liberal in their numbers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you can count on whoever is reviewing the numbers to take those things with a grain of salt. Also, if you throw in tours of the race shops, the Speedway and the NASCAR HOF, it would seem more of a two or three day destination experience for building fan enthusiasm vs. a more casual visit.

I think you can count on whoever is reviewing the numbers to take those things with a grain of salt.  Also, if you throw in tours of the race shops, the Speedway and the NASCAR HOF, it would seem more of a two or three day destination experience for building fan enthusiasm vs. a more casual visit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that is true. fewer visitors that plan a vacation around it might be more valuable to the business of nascar than some chinese people that just left world of coke to try to the new ginseng sharkfin soda, or german people that just left world of coke to try the new lager cola or whatever.

Charlotte Business Journal: Local sites among most visited in state

Attendance for some local attractions last year:

Discovery Place: 554,040

NC Auto Racing Hall of Fame, Mooresville: 200,147

Hendrick Motorsports Museum: 150,000

Roush Racing Museum, Concord: 100,000

If Discovery Place can attract 1/2 million visitors per year just from the regional community, I think the nascar hof projections are way low. I know the hof will not have as many repeat local customers as Discovery, but it is suppose to be partly an automotive technology museum with rotateing exhibits so they should get a fair amount. So I figure if you take 2/3 of Discovery Places' attendance for local support and add the NC Auto Racing HOF you get 366,326 + 200,147 = 566,473. I think that is still being conservative, but way higher than 400,000. I think race weeks will add a lot and you could give it more visibility by moving speedstreet to Brevard. My guess would be attendance could easily be 650,000 - 700,000.

No real surpise, but Michigan has officially dropped out of the race for the hof. Full Story

Michigan officials say they are dropping out of the race for a NASCAR Hall of Fame, leaving five cities in the multimillion-dollar competition.

On Wednesday, while Kansas City backers were touting their area as stock car racing's future, state officials in Michigan were talking withdrawal.

A Daytona Beach News-Journal web site report quoted Michael Shore, vice president of the Michigan Economic Development Corp., which was handling the effort to locate the hall of fame in the Detroit area.

"We really aren't pursuing it," he said. "The governor gave us the green light to explore it. But when we reviewed the financial commitment it would take to make one of these really work - and given the state's economic situation - we were talking a lot of money and a long-term commitment."

Discovery Place and Carowinds are not in the same league as a NASCAR HOF. You see, people like me who have no interest in NASCAR, will go to DP and Carowinds yet never set foot inside a NASCAR museum. On the other hand, NASCAR fans will patron both the museum and places like Discovery Place/Carowinds. So, I think Charlotte's projections are accurate. I actually hope Charlotte doesn't get the HOF. Same for Atlanta. Let Daytona have it. I never go there. :lol:

BTW- does anyone else find Charlotte choosing Pei's firm to design the hall a little specious? I mean, one of the host cities already used Pei to build a HOF museum.

Archived