NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

Article from the Kansas City Star: Haul for the hall: Battle builds for NASCAR shrine.

No news on their bid, just comparing some of the cities claims on why it belongs there. They also have it coming down to Atlanta, Charlotte, and Kansas City. One interesting tidbit:

Driver Jimmie Johnson, the current Nextel Cup points leader, did find time to think about the hall. He likes Charlotte. He doesn't think Kansas City would be a good fit.

I didn't feel like reading through 14 pages of posts to see if I should post this or not, so if it's all been said before, sorry. I haven't been following this thread.

Had a meeting with ULI of Charlotte (the Urban Land Institute) as far as their plans for Uptown. The NASCAR HOF has been recommended to CCP (Center City Partners) to be implemented, should Charlotte win the bid, across from the convention center next to the hotel with the elevator shafts being converted to the clock towers. It's the parking lot that fronts onto Stonewall.

Again, sorry if old news.

lol. my mother used to say something to me about coming late to conversations! :) just playing....

the location was posted pretty quickly into this thread, as city council decided it quickly after the newspapers started discussing it.

From ULI and Landdesign's perspective, is that a good location? Are any spin of plans beginning to form to grow that area?

yeah, we got a glimpse of what they're looking to do all the way around the arena. much of it has been discussed here, i think the biggest issue was the orientation of the first ward park and whether or not it will be bi-sected by the light rail or run alongside of it.

i'm told cats wants to barricade it from ped crossings making it quite a barrier between two halves of the park. i think they should steer towards a pedestrian friendly light rail that you cross anywhere around a park of this size. it's not like trains are going to come whizzing through uptown at at-grade crossings where they intersect vehicular traffic.

i haven't seen an nascar hof plans if that was what you were asking. i did find it interesting to hear talk of creating a street alongside the tracks like you currently have at reids. there was also talk of creating retail in bottom floors of existing parking decks that would front this street and the light rail. you lose a bay of parking in the garage, but it can be done, and i think the idea has merit.

any updates?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The state senate approved the 2% raise in hotel/motel tax today. No other details about the proposal have been released. The hof commitee is suppose to have a booth set up at the speed street festival this weekend.

The proposals are due on May 31st.

Charlotte NASCAR hall bid may lose land piece

A piece of the $137.5 million package designed to lure a proposed NASCAR hall of fame to Charlotte may be stalled because the federal government controls some land tied to the bid.

Turns out everyone thought that the state owned the land but instead it's owned by the Feds and would take years of paperwork to acquire it unless some sort of deal can be worked out.

Isn't the bid deadline in a few days?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Final bids have to be turned into NASCAR by May 31st. Only the final cities that NASCAR has announced may turn in bids. When Wilkesboro tried getting in at the last minute the other day, NASCAR said we have already announced our finalists, no one else may enter.

Charlotte NASCAR hall bid may lose land piece

A piece of the $137.5 million package designed to lure a proposed NASCAR hall of fame to Charlotte may be stalled because the federal government controls some land tied to the bid.

Turns out everyone thought that the state owned the land but instead it's owned by the Feds and would take years of paperwork to acquire it unless some sort of deal can be worked out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WSOC-TV just said that the federal govt has just transfer the land to the state/city for free.

WSOC-TV just said that the federal govt has just transfer the land to the state/city for free.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

THIS IS HUGE !!!! BTW, I work Uptown, just got back from lunch Speedstreet is a total success. I walked about ten blocks and there has to be 50,000 people down there. (and it's only 1:30). I think this is really awesome for the economy. I am NOT a big Nascar fan, but believe the HOF should be here. I am not being partial just because I live in CLT. I am saying it because it makes sense. NASCAR was born here. The only other place that I think deserves the HOF would be Daytona. KC, Michigan, and others simply do not deserve it. I think if NASCAR chooses another city other that CLT it will be a much harder pill for us (CLT) to swallow. Any other city that has there hopes up in getting it would not be nealry as dumbfounded and dissapointed if they lost out (ie If Atlanta loses out...whoopty-doo. They already have a ton of stuff to do and an array of tourist attractions and their tax base is already two times the size of CLT.). CLT is putting up the money, the land, and the fan base. If CLT loses the deal, I think it will totally devestate this city. I mean big time.

i dont think it would be too devestating, but it would be a blow to our pride. We do have the best plan running so we have a very good chace to win. KC seems to think they have a chance, I don't see anything to like about that situation at all. The only other city who has a chance is atlanta, I am more worried about them.

i dont think it would be too devestating, but it would be a blow to our pride. We do have the best plan running so we have a very good chace to win. KC seems to think they have a chance, I don't see anything to like about that situation at all. The only other city who has a chance is atlanta, I am more worried about them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could not agreee with you more. (on both points). I feel that KC is smoking something (I am not sure what). Atlanta is our biggest threat. They have the corporate clout to steal this thing on that one point alone. I think there 1M visitor projection is about right though. I think CLT is being conservative with there #'s. If you are going to win NASCAR approval you have to do it with Money and Numbers (I am speaking of potential visitors). I am keeping my fingers crossed, but my gut says we will get. I don't think NASCAR would be so cold as to turn their back on the city that really put them on thye map (outside of maybe Talladega and maybe Daytona)

If anyone is interested in Atlanta's perspective, there was an article in today's AJC. Personally, I'd rather see it in KC or Daytona since I abhor NASCAR and sports in general. I never go to either of those cities. But more power to whoever gets it! :P

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/business/0...znasmarket.html

(Registration Required)

Friends with deep pockets

Atlanta corporations with ties to racing are powerful allies for city's bidding team

Atlanta corporations with ties to NASCAR

Yep, NASCAR isn't like it used to be, as it has become a much more national sport, rather than just "southern". Did you know that they want to build a race track on Staten Island? Not sure where they would fit it (maybe over a trash heap? lol), but wouldn't that be interesting, a NASCAR track in NYC. :lol:

I think this along with the Whitewater Park will really help Charlotte become more of a destination rather than just someplace people settle down.

KC seems to think they have a chance, I don't see anything to like about that situation at all. The only other city who has a chance is atlanta, I am more worried about them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kansas City has alot going for it. In fact I think they will end up being a bigger player in this than Atlanta. Their proposed location is at a development called Village West (website) contains a minor league baseball stadium, indoor waterpark, Kansas Speedway, hotels, and shopping & entertainment centers. Village West already attracts 9 million people a year.

Another factor going for Kansas City is Sprint who recently merged with Nextel. Sprint is headquartered in the Kansas City area.

Then there's International Speedway Corp. who owns the Kansas Speedway. ISC is run by the France family who also runs NASCAR.

That being said I think Charlotte is the logical location for the HOF. But, the biggest factor for the NA$CAR Hall of Fame will be money. We'll just have to wait and see who comes up with the most.

Archived