NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

Well.....that looked like a boring building in the middle of nowhere.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Definitely. It appears that there is absolutely no other draw for people there except for the race track seemingly a mile away. The HOF needs more than just the die hard fan attendance. Locating it in a central location with other attractions will bring crossover attendance.

I don't like the building/location either, but given NASCAR's desire for "longevity" and repeat visitors I think this bid has a really great chance of winning. Frankly, I have heard little of what the exhibits for our bid would be, but KC has said they will have a ride that simulates a race and talking exhibits for each driver. Our building is gorgeous, but to a NASCAR fan that is almost irrelevant, especially since you can see the building without paying the entrance fee. Bottom line: The building may be boring but the suburban location's RV friendly nature and the innovative displays/rides make this an extremely competitive bid.

....although I still say that depsite KC being in the middle of the country I think it's location hurts rather than helps this bid.

One thing I wonder is if they consider how many destinatinations are served by non-stop flights from each city. KC, Daytona, and Richmond are served by very few non-stop destinations.

Of course, if they look at the cost of flying to a city, Charlotte would be at a disadvantage.

yeah.. for the hall of fame:  uptown > suburbs

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree - this is where Atlanta and Charlotte have it right, I think. If you put it out by the track, you're likely to attract only people who are already interested in Nascar - perhaps they're going to the race anyway, and will stop by the HOF to check it out.

Putting it away from the speedway, close to other congregation centers, will attract the interest of those who may not otherwise have thought to visit a Nascar attraction (in addition to those who seek it out as a destination). And, isn't that their goal -- increase awareness of the sport, and increase the fan base? Why just provide an amenity for the existing fan base?

From a product marketing standpoint, they would want to attract more current "non-users" who have a high likelihood of becoming users. Its a general concept that actually works against Charlotte -- we're SO well known for Nascar, its assumed that everyone here is already a fan. That makes for good support, but not much growth potential. A city with a bigger population of non-fans and more pass-through non-fans (i.e. tourists) provides a bigger market for future fans.

Sort of like low intro rate credit cards and discounted cable service for "new" customers. Once you're a profitable existing customer - you're hosed. No more goodies.

I know the revenue from the hall of fame would bring in a lot of money, but if this is the typical scene outside Lowe's Motor Speedway (or any racetrack anywhere), than I'm not sure having it will help Charlotte get past the negative "redneck image" some people think of it :unsure:

Hopefully there wont be people standing outside of it waving confederate flags and drinking beer, lol.

I know the revenue from the hall of fame would bring in a lot of money, but if this is the typical scene outside Lowe's Motor Speedway (or any racetrack anywhere), than I'm not sure having it will help Charlotte get past the negative "redneck image" some people think of it :unsure:

Hopefully there wont be people standing outside of it waving confederate flags and drinking beer, lol.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree Mike. It really bothers me when I drive past a shack or trailer home with a confederate flag in front or a giant 4x4 truck with a confederate plate on the front.

Mike, now that's the NASCAR I know of! Be prepared for the masses on here that will swear it's a "white collar sport now" and that the redneck image is going by the wayside.

Side note: do you think I.M Pei will add another flag pole so that the stars and bars can fly proudly in front of the HOF? :whistling:

as the bids get debunked by the consultants and analysts in Raleigh, where they are now, it is possible that the ATL and KC bids will get major points off for not being able to sustain the visitor estimates.  It is entirely conceivable that if the consultants figure they can't get those numbers, that the financing and soundness of their whole bids could collapse.  Our numbers, being conservative and sustainable, could get our bid counted as the most sound by the analysts. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know about KC, but Atlanta's numbers are based in part on the area (touristy area near CNN, Olympic Park, GA World Congress Center, Philips Arena and several hotels) and two other attractions opening in the same area. The GA Aquarium and the new World of Coke will be located across the park from the proposed HOF location. In its present location at Underground, the World of Coke draws roughly 800,000 visitors per year. The GA Aquarium is expected to draw figures close to that after its inaugural year.

I don't know how accurate the projections for the HOF are, but I know that's what they're basing attendance on. Not sure how much sense it makes that people would attend all 3 attractions.

actually that "confederate flag" that ya'll are thinking of is not the "stars and bars", it's actually called the battle flag. The "stars and bars" is a flag that many do not know is a confederate flag. It's the "1st national flag" and looks like the new georgia flag without the little structure in the blue space. It has two red bars and one white bar. I think that this one is appropriate because it still gives a sense of heritage without offending other people. That's probably why georgia used it instead of having the "battle flag" on their state flag. I myself am from the south and i know that ignorant people will say that the battle flag is a sign of hatred. However, 90% of the people who fly it use it as a sign of heritage. Only roughly that 10% of people (ie KKK and nazi's) give the flag a bad rep. Unfortunately, those people have ruined the image of that flag. Again, this is the reason why i like using the "stars and bars" because it has the same sense of heritage but without all the negative connotation. And the thing that really offends me is that people calling others rednecks when they have no idea what they are talking about. Talk about ignorance! Enough ranting and raving.

actually that "confederate flag" that ya'll are thinking of is not the "stars and bars", it's actually called the battle flag.  The "stars and bars" is a flag that many do not know is a confederate flag.  It's the "1st national flag" and looks like the new georgia flag without the little structure in the blue space.  It has two red bars and one white bar.  I think that this one is appropriate because it still gives a sense of heritage without offending other people.  That's probably why georgia used it instead of having the "battle flag" on their state flag.  I myself am from the south and i know that ignorant people will say that the battle flag is a sign of hatred. However, 90% of the people who fly it use it as a sign of heritage.  Only roughly that 10% of people (ie KKK and nazi's) give the flag a bad rep.  Unfortunately, those people have ruined the image of that flag.  Again, this is the reason why i like using the "stars and bars" because it has the same sense of heritage but without all the negative connotation.  And the thing that really offends me is that people calling others rednecks when they have no idea what they are talking about.  Talk about ignorance!  Enough ranting and raving.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are right, the flag displayed in the photo is the "Battle Flag of the Confederacy", not the "Stars and Bars". The Battle Flag flew over the Confederate graves in Elmwood Cemetery (uptown Charlotte) untill April 2005, and the S.C. State House till 2002 (it was placed there in 1962 by vote of the all-white legislature as a way to show disapproval and anger over the forced integration of public schools...nothing to do with "heritage" there, my friends).

All I know is that as a South Carolina-born and bred Scottish-American, I don't have a Cross of St Andrew flying outside my house (although I am proud of my Scottish heritage :alc: )

Cheers!

Edited for syntax

Ooookkkkayyy...getting back on topic...

I have a strange feeling KC has this in the bag...there is just something odd to me how strong their museum is in look and exhibits...

Why didn't Charlotte leaders think of holographic images for drivers and tracks as displays? I was thinking those would be great, tehcnologically advanced displays long before the bids were unveiled.

Archived