NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

Charlotte's bid expressly says that the interior will be designed after the Hall has been awarded and in conjunction with NASCAR so that they don't have to design stuff twice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks.

Makes me feel better....we can take all of KC's hologram ideas

:D

I don't know if anyone heard, Bank of America announced today that it is sponsoring a Charlotte race next year and a few other NASCAR races around the country. Does anyone think this will help our chances for getting the HOF?

BofA gets on track with NASCAR fans

Bank announces sponsorship of October race

RICK ROTHACKER AND STAN CHOE

Staff Writers

Bank of America Corp. is joining the chase for race fans.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/spo...ts/12012864.htm

Bank of America is a HUGE plus for Charlotte.

Just saw this on charlotte.com:  BofA buying MBNA for $35 billion

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Forgive the ignorant question, but what are MBNA's existing Nascar connections that we can now chalk up to the B of A sponsorship portfolio? I see they have a race at Dover - are they otherwise a sponsor?

Forgive the ignorant question, but what are MBNA's existing Nascar connections that we can now chalk up to the B of A sponsorship portfolio? I see they have a race at Dover - are they otherwise a sponsor?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

MBNA is a pretty big sponsor of NASCAR...

I think they are big sponsor of Joe Gibbs Racing

Interesting editorial from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution about the secrecy surrounding their Hall of Fame bid. The group leading the bid said they are keeping quiet so they will have a leg up on the competition. They also say that they are a private enterprise and exempt from the states Open Records Act, even though the state and city governments have pledged $30 million for the project.

Article at: http://www.ajc.com/opinion/content/opinion...06ednascar.html

Interesting editorial from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution about the secrecy surrounding their Hall of Fame bid. The group leading the bid said they are keeping quiet so they will have a leg up on the competition. They also say that they are a private enterprise and exempt from the states Open Records Act, even though the state and city governments have pledged $30 million for the project.

Article at: http://www.ajc.com/opinion/content/opinion...06ednascar.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is totally rediculous. However I am not that shocked that Atlanta is trying to win this thing in a hush-hush manner. It seems quite unfair, but that is life. I am not saying the Hall of Fame would not succeed in Atlanta, it more than likely would do GREAT, but I would be blown away if CLT gets passed up on this. It is going to be a crying shame if we lose to the HofF to a city who would not disclose their package. :cry: I think CLT has the best deal on the table thus far. It seems wild that a city can be so secretive, when it is a bidding process to begin with. If every city knew how the other city was funding or building the HofF, the competition could one up them. It would be best for NASCAR as well as they would get the top dollar city. JMHO

B)

A2

Three words why I think it belongs in Charlotte: Days of Thunder

Okay, so not the best film ever made, but it pays lots of homage to Charlotte, the smaller tracks in Tenn, NC, SC and Daytona. If Tom Cruise can convince Nicole Kidman to move to the "North Carolina countryside" then surely that means we're blessed right? :D Also, did City Chevrolet really use to exist downtown?

The HOF bid will be financed in large part by an increase in the Hotel/Motel tax collected in the area.

Apparently in order to gain support from the 3 northern towns for the HOF tax, Charlotte and the county agreed to give the 3 towns a bigger share of the prepared food Tax that is used to retire debt on the new convention center and to promote tourism in the CLT area. There is a 1/2% sales tax on all prepared food in Mecklenburg county used to promote travel and tourism to the area. (as mandated by state law). Without support from the towns, its doubtful the state would have approved the tax.

The three towns were against making the HOF tax permanent even if the HOF was awarded elsewhere. This was one of the reasons that provision was removed from the bill. Huntersville, Cornelus and Davidson will get the prepared food tax increase regardless of the status of the HOF tax and will used the extra money for local projects.

Nascar has set their schedule for when they will make their visits to the cities competeing for the Hall of Fame.

August 9th - Daytona

August 16th - Atlanta

August 17th - Charlotte

August 18th - Kansas City

August 23rd - Richmond

Each visit will consist of a meeting with local officials, detailed discussions about each proposal, tour of the proposed site, and a mid-afternoon meeting with the press.

Story at: http://www.truckseries.com/cgi-script/NCTS...0046/004606.htm

Nascar has set their schedule for when they will make their visits to the cities competeing for the Hall of Fame.

August 9th - Daytona

August 16th - Atlanta

August 17th - Charlotte

August 18th - Kansas City

August 23rd - Richmond

Interesting that the three main contenders are so close in timeframe. They probably want to minimize any advantage gained by keeping an eye on what the other cities present and modifying presentation strategy. Glad we're after Atlanta though. Hopefully it will be 105 degrees in Atlanta on their day! The officials will be weary and grumpy by the time they get to Kansas City.

I wonder how much of the tours will be publicized and if the cities at the end of the list will be able to make some last minute changes after they see what the others have to offer.

Anyone heard if there will be any kind of "pep rallies" or anything to try to show the NASCAR spirit here in Charlotte?

My guess is that Charlotte is a lock for the Hall of Hame, since it has been for a long while the center of the NASCAR world, and it doesn't make sense to put it elsewhere. However after they award the Hall to us, they'll move the All Star race to different tracks every year like they've been wanting to do for awhile, so as to balance out everything and not put all of the eggs in one basket so to speak. If by some unforseen act of God the Hall goes elsewhere, look for the All Star race to stay in Charlotte for many years to come.

As an added side note, today there was an article in the Observer touting a new Will Ferrell major motion picture comedy about NASCAR set to start production in Charlotte this year. This added on to the Discovery Channel NASCAR reality show currently being filmed in Charlotte.

My guess is that Charlotte is a lock for the Hall of Hame, since it has been for a long while the center of the NASCAR world, and it doesn't make sense to put it elsewhere. However after they award the Hall to us, they'll move the All Star race to different tracks every year like they've been wanting to do for awhile, so as to balance out everything and not put all of the eggs in one basket so to speak. If by some unforseen act of God the Hall goes elsewhere, look for the All Star race to stay in Charlotte for many years to come.

As an added side note, today there was an article in the Observer touting a new Will Ferrell major motion picture comedy about NASCAR set to start production in Charlotte this year. This added on to the Discovery Channel NASCAR reality show currently being filmed in Charlotte.

If that is the case, then I don't want the Hall of Fame. The Allstar race makes us more money than the Hall of Fame would, right?

Yes, I do believe the economic impact is greater, however, I would take this building instead. It will help add greatly to uptown tourism and, well, just look real nice. The all-star race will cycle through here every few years anyway, after all, we ARE the center of racing. I'd say the race would go on a loop from, maybe, Charlotte to Atlanta to KC to Texas to Cali and then back to Charlotte.

If that is the case, then I don't want the Hall of Fame. The Allstar race makes us more money than the Hall of Fame would, right?

I think in the long-term that the HOF would be a better money maker. We are not guaranteed the All-Star race for eternity and odds are that at some point in the next few years we would lose it regardless if we got the HOF or not. At least with the HOF we know that it won't be moving around from city to city, it would always be in our downtown and we would lay permanent claim to it.

I wonder how much of the tours will be publicized and if the cities at the end of the list will be able to make some last minute changes after they see what the others have to offer.

Anyone heard if there will be any kind of "pep rallies" or anything to try to show the NASCAR spirit here in Charlotte?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Looks like Daytona has already planned their rally at the Daytona USA attraction before officials go into their meetings. I'm guessing that Charlotte might try to pull one off, wasn't their a big one on the square when the Bobcats unvieled their team name or something? Could be something similar to that. Besides, I'm sure Gov. Easley would love the chance to get behind the wheel of another race car and crash it into something.....again......lol

http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJour...AST06071305.htm

Archived