NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

good news....but doesn't atlanta have one too?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, but ours will be literally be blocks away from the proposed site. The Ritz in dtwn ATL is really a dumpy one and to be honest is not a great place to walk around at after the sun goes down. I have stayed there on multiple occasions. The one in Buckhead ROCKS. I try and stay there when I am in town, especially if my meetings are closer to the edge of the perimeter.

A2

It was about Center City Partners planning an event for the NASCAR officials went they come to town. the CCP wants the community involved so it will show that we Charlotte want this Hall of Fame here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wonder if that includes the part of the community they are trying to run out of downtown?

Somehow, I don't think it's the Ritz-Carlton crowd that will be coming for a HOF visit.  I am not inferring that ther isn't money in NASCAR or its fans, but let's be realistic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i don't completely agree. i think there might be plenty of cases where drivers, nascar execs that have biz at the hof, and sponsor execs would stay.

There also might be biz exec that are town for banking business that might be considering sponsorship or be interested in the business and will check it out.

Yes, but ours will be literally be blocks away from the proposed site. The Ritz in dtwn ATL is really a dumpy one and to be honest is not a great place to walk around at after the sun goes down. I have stayed there on multiple occasions. The one in Buckhead ROCKS. I try and stay there when I am in town, especially if my meetings are closer to the edge of the perimeter.

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While I understand your comparison between the Ritz Buckhead and the Ritz Downtown....the dining options at the Diningroom at the Ritz/Buckhead is among the best in the city for cuisine and ambience.....I don't think that the Ritz Downtown would be the closest upscale hotel to the site considered for the HoF Atlanta. The site chosen...if I recall correctly will be at or near the Centennial Olympic Park to tie in with the new Aquarium, CNN and the World of Coca~Cola. Of the four star rated hotels, there's the Hyatt Regency, the Omni Hotel (across the park from the reported site), The Westin Peachtree Plaza, and The Embassy Suites across the park from the proposed site.

Of the Five Star caliber, you have The Four Seasons, The Intercontinetal, The Grand Hyatt and the Ritz Buckhead all a few train stations away. There is also plans for the St Regis, another five star hotel....(there are only 11 others in the world - all in cities such as Rome, London, New York - is proposed for a West Paces Ferry Road site just west of Buckhead Plaza on Peachtree.

Someone visiting the HoF here in Atlanta would not have far to go if they so choose. I will say this though.....I don't think the frever for the Nascar Hall of Fame is high here in Atlanta. Then again perhaps it is because the mayor,city council, Bernie Marcus and the head of the Chamber of Commerce are taking some "extreme" measures to ensure that conventioneers and tourist will feel safe and right at home in the Centennial Triangle......much to the peril of some human rights groups.

Well Atlanta doesn't really have anything to do with racing. In Charlotte you have race shops less then 25 miles away in Mooresville and Statesville and you have more race stars living in NC than you do in GA, like Dale Jarret (Hickory), Dale Jr. (Mooresville), Kyle and Richard Petty (Level Cross) plus you have Richard Childress' house and HQ in Welcome, NC and don't forget DEI below Mooresville. This is where racing started and I think racing should stay here!

Well Atlanta doesn't really have anything to do with racing. In Charlotte you have race shops less then 25 miles away in Mooresville and Statesville and you have more race stars living in NC than you do in GA, like Dale Jarret (Hickory), Dale Jr. (Mooresville), Kyle and Richard Petty (Level Cross) plus you have Richard Childress' house and HQ in Welcome, NC and don't forget DEI below Mooresville. This is where racing started and I think racing should stay here!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like there is no race track in downtown Atlanta, there is no race track in downtown Charlotte either. I could be wrong but I doubt it. If you are familair with NASCAR....I am not, not my cup of tea....you will know that there is a race track here in Metro Atlanta as well.....unless the Lowes Motor Speedway....which is located in Harrisburg, NC is also in downtown Charlotte.

As far as where the racers live, I thought Halls of Fame had more to do with the fans and not the participants. Isn't that how other halls of fames were placed.....unless there was something I missed about Cleveland, Ohio.

But Cosmoboy I could be wrong.

Like there is no race track in downtown Atlanta, there is no race track in downtown Charlotte either. I could be wrong but I doubt it. If you are familair with NASCAR....I am not, not my cup of tea....you will know that there is a race track here in Metro Atlanta as well.....unless the Lowes Motor Speedway....which is located in Harrisburg, NC is also in downtown Charlotte.

As far as where the racers live, I thought Halls of Fame had more to do with the fans and not the participants. Isn't that how other halls of fames were placed.....unless there was something I missed about Cleveland, Ohio.

But Cosmoboy I could be wrong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually the Lowes Motor Speedway is located in Concord. And I don't see how anyone could fit a speedway in a downtown area so I don't get the point.

Lowe's is 2 miles away from Charlotte's city limits in Concord, compared with Atlanta Motor Speedway which is like 40 miles away. I think what most Charlotteans are arguing is that the base of NASCAR teams and drivers in NC should be enough to put the HoF here. Though the HoF is catered to fan. During the Coca Cola 600, fans from Michigan and even on the West Coast drove to Charlotte for that one event.

Okay......I did state in my original post before cosmoboy responded that there is no real big push to get the HoF here in Atlanta so no harm no foul if it goes to Charlotte.

NCguy06, if you read the conversation between cosmoboy and myself you will see that he said Atlanta doesn't have a raceway. That is true, the city of Atlanta does not have a raceway....but neither does the city limits of Charlotte. That was my point to cosmoboy.....towards his specific remark. Which I think is still there unless he has edited it.

Shawn and yourself have both mentioned that the speedway is in Concord.....I stand corrected....but that still is not in the city limits of Charlotte so cosmoboy's point it mute. Either way it's a matter of semantics. It would be nice to have it but if it doesn't then it doesn't. I have personally said on the Atlanta thread that I would prefer it goes to Charlotte. I'm sure you can do a search on that subforum to find my sentiments to be truth. When I responded to A219724, I was talking about hotel accomadations in the area where it "would" go. Not that I felt Atlanta is the better choice.....because quite frankly I don't.

p.s.- I went to a site that maps directions and per this site from city centers....and I'm using city centers because that's where both Ritz's are located....the mileage is as such.

Atlanta (CBD) to Hampton, Ga = 28.74 miles

Charlotte (CBD) to Concord, Nc = 26.40 miles

That's really not much of a difference. I just wanted to clear that up since the intial start of my conversation had to do with the Ritzs location in the CBD. Okay guys I'm through. :thumbsup::D:P

Are you thinking of this?

http://www.nascarcafe.com

Concord doesn't have one, but Myrtle Beach and Greensboro (?) does.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe you're thinking of Quaker Steak and Lube off Speedway Blvd. down the street from Lowe's Motor Speedway. It's the only racing themed restaraunt that I'm aware of around here. There used to be the Original Sandwich Factory (with the NASCAR cars on the roof) but that got sold and is no more.

From the Editors

North Carolina's home of racin' is also North Carolina's home of race-themed eats, as Concord's Quaker Steak & Lube lets hungry motorsports fans grab quickie chow in kitschy pit-crew style. The bright, kid-friendly decor includes plenty of auto and racing memorabilia, and the goofy themed menu includes pick-up pickles (deep-fried pickle spears), dipsticks (fried zucchini strips), a souped-up soup of the day, and a garage salad with ''lettuce lube'' options including farmhouse ranch and raspberry vinaigrette. A section of finger foods called Pit-Crew Pickins' includes quesadillas, nachos and a full rack of Danish baby-back ribs.

Somehow, I don't think it's the Ritz-Carlton crowd that will be coming for a HOF visit.  I am not inferring that ther isn't money in NASCAR or its fans, but let's be realistic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're forgetting about corporate sponsors, the people who own/run NASCAR, and the drivers themselves.

Archived