NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

Somehow, I don't think it's the Ritz-Carlton crowd that will be coming for a HOF visit.  I am not inferring that ther isn't money in NASCAR or its fans, but let's be realistic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think no matter what, if people are visiting Charlotte and staying in a hotel blocks away from the HOF, they will probably visit. I believe that the majority of the people who will stay at the Ritz-Carlton will be visiting NBA and NFL teams and musicians who will rent out entire floors as they used to do at The Park Hotel along with visiting dignitaries and bigwigs from corporations.

I believe you're thinking of Quaker Steak and Lube off Speedway Blvd. down the street from Lowe's Motor Speedway.  It's the only racing themed restaraunt that I'm aware of around here. There used to be the Original Sandwich Factory (with the NASCAR cars on the roof) but that got sold and is no more.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Big Daddy's at the Lake has NASCAR Racing cars on the roof of his seafood restaurant. There are several NASCAR themed restaurants in Mooresville, but I doubt that many people from Charlotte would bother to go up there to eat in one.

Big Daddy's at the Lake has NASCAR Racing cars on the roof of his seafood restaurant. There are several NASCAR themed restaurants in Mooresville, but I doubt that many people from Charlotte would bother to go up there to eat in one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's almost a 40 mile drive from South Charlotte. Beats the purpose of urban living if you have to drive 40 miles.

p.s.- I went to a site that maps directions and per this site from city centers....and I'm using city centers because that's where both Ritz's are located....the mileage is as such.

Atlanta (CBD) to Hampton, Ga    = 28.74 miles

Charlotte (CBD) to Concord, Nc  = 26.40 miles

That's really not much of a difference. I just wanted to clear that up since the intial start of my conversation had to do with the Ritzs location in the CBD. Okay guys I'm through.  :thumbsup:  :D  :P

Actually, the distance from the CBD of each city to the actual speedway (and not their city's CBD) is as follows:

Atlanta (CBD) to AMS = 26.9 miles

Charlotte (CBD) to LMS = 17.7 miles

Lowe's is 2 miles away from Charlotte's city limits in Concord, compared with Atlanta Motor Speedway which is like 40 miles away. I think what most Charlotteans are arguing is that the base of NASCAR teams and drivers in NC should be enough to put the HoF here. Though the HoF is catered to fan.  During the Coca Cola 600, fans from Michigan and even on the West Coast drove to Charlotte for that one event.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly! :thumbsup:

Like there is no race track in downtown Atlanta, there is no race track in downtown Charlotte either.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't exactly mean from the track per se, I meant from the CBD of DT Charlotte. And I know Atlanta has a track it's just that I think if the Atlanteans didn't get the HOF, then it would be no skin off their back, cause really what do they care about it?

If Charlotte doesn't get this then they are going to be REALLY pissed off. (I don't mean this word in cussing but in a matter of expresing my point) :) What will really get them ticked is that if it went to a city with no ties to NASCAR except for a racetrack. The HOF should really be put in the South in an area that's home to NASCAR.

I rest my case. :D

I didn't exactly mean from the track per se, I meant from the CBD of DT Charlotte. And I know Atlanta has a track it's just that I think if the Atlanteans didn't get the HOF, then it would be no skin off their back, cause really what do they care about it?

If Charlotte doesn't get this then they are going to be REALLY pissed off. (I don't mean this word in cussing but in a matter of expresing my point) :)  What will really get them ticked is that if it went to a city with no ties to NASCAR except for a racetrack. The HOF should really be put in the South in an area that's home to NASCAR.

I rest my case. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In all sincerity......

Mr Cosmoboy, I could not agree with you more. Your statement above is why I have gone on record several times saying that I feel it should go to Charlotte. I would much rather have it in Charlotte than any of the other choices. Reason why? Because for the population of metro Atlanta who may really be into NASCAR, Charlotte is only a short drive away. I look forward to at least visiting the HoF in your fair city at least once. I plan on visitng for other matters on many many more occassions. :)

Well Atlanta does have huge ties to NASCAR. It it wasn't for the sponsorship of the very large companies HQ'd in Atlanta, there would not be a NASCAR as we know it. In comparison, until very recently, Charlotte's companies could have cared less about NASCAR if you base it on the sponsorship they provided to the teams.

Who is driving the Duke Energy Car, or Wachovia car, or BofA? Those blue chip Charlotte companies chose to ignore NASCAR while it was growing to what it is today.

Well Atlanta does have huge ties to NASCAR.  It it wasn't for the sponsorship of the very large companies HQ'd in Atlanta, there would not be a NASCAR as we know it.  In comparison, until very recently, Charlotte's companies could have cared less about NASCAR if you base it on the sponsorship they provided to the teams.

Who is driving the Duke Energy Car, or Wachovia car, or BofA?  Those blue chip Charlotte companies chose to ignore NASCAR while it was growing to what it is today.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're "somewhat" right but what it all boils down to is money. Pink Floyd could not have said it better. :lol:

In all sincerity......

Mr Cosmoboy, I could not agree with you more. Your statement above is why I have gone on record several times saying that I feel it should go to Charlotte. I would much rather have it in Charlotte than any of the other choices. Reason why? Because for the population of metro Atlanta who may really be into NASCAR, Charlotte is only a short drive away. I look forward to at least visiting the HoF in your fair city at least once. I plan on visitng for other matters on many many more occassions.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't mean to tick you off. It's just I'm tired of people saying it should belong in Kansas City or New York City or Daytona. I'm not putting Atlanta down or even you it's just I take this emotionally at times. :lol:

I didn't mean to tick you off. It's just I'm tired of people saying it should belong in Kansas City or New York City or Daytona. I'm not putting Atlanta down or even you it's just I take this emotionally at times. :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

side note, some people actually opposed to the new NASCAR racetrack being built in Staten Island. But that shows the popularity of the sport, and the track at Chicagoland is getting sucessful.

Well Atlanta doesn't really have anything to do with racing. In Charlotte you have race shops less then 25 miles away in Mooresville and Statesville and you have more race stars living in NC than you do in GA, like Dale Jarret (Hickory), Dale Jr. (Mooresville), Kyle and Richard Petty (Level Cross) plus you have Richard Childress' house and HQ in Welcome, NC and don't forget DEI below Mooresville. This is where racing started and I think racing should stay here!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is actually no point in trying to name driver's that live near Charlotte because just about all of them have at least a house near here. It's easier to name the ones that don't live here (and about the only big two are Mark Martin and Tony Stewart).

And , its easier to name the big race shops that aren't here.

There is actually no point in trying to name driver's that live near Charlotte because just about all of them have at least a house near here.  It's easier to name the ones that don't live here  (and about the only big two are Mark Martin and Tony Stewart).

And , its easier to name the big race shops that aren't here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I meant the drivers that were born here or had been here a long time.

I am new to the south and new to the concept of Nascar. I tried watching a few races but found it difficult to grasp the attraction. Can someone please help me "get" Nascar? What is the point? Aren't all the cars built indentically?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm no expert, but the cars are built to certain specifications, but they aren't identical. Some teams have more money because of better sponsorship and that generally helps the car to be better. The skill of the driver also makes a difference, which you can especially see in road courses. Fans enjoy the different personalities of the drivers--I think that has a lot to do with who they pull for--and they like to see the cars wreck.

I am new to the south and new to the concept of Nascar. I tried watching a few races but found it difficult to grasp the attraction. Can someone please help me "get" Nascar? What is the point? Aren't all the cars built indentically?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My advice would be to go to an actual race. You can get tickets for as little as $20.

The experience is well worth it and is much more exciting in person. Take earplugs.

I believe someone a while back mentioned an upcoming Will Farrell NASCAR movie being filmed in Charlotte.

The Observer did a small piece on it today at "Authentic NASCAR by Ferrell?"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The unnamed Will Ferrell NASCAR movie is holding casting calls/auditions for extras this Sat at Waddell High School

Charlotte's Movie to Hold Auditions

From reading movie bulletin boards, rumor is that it's pretty certain that Frat Packers Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn and the Wilson brothers will also be in it.

There is a difference between one who makes a joke about air pollution and one who makes a crude remark towards the people working for nascar.  I'm not sure who deleted your post, but I agree with it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I made no crude remark towards NASCAR employees. I think NASCAR's employees (particularly engineers) are being handicapped by the sanctioning body. They're forced to spend gobs of money wringing performance out of a car running technology that became obsolete nearly half a century ago. Thus, polishing a turd.

And my actual quote was, "Polishing a turd, so to speak." I thought the "so to speak" would make it clear that the vernacular was used tongue in cheek. You know, a nod to the blue collar roots of NASCAR via blue language. Maybe that wasn't clear. Maybe someone just takes things way too seriously. I don't know.

The unnamed Will Ferrell NASCAR movie is holding casting calls/auditions for extras this Sat at Waddell High School

Charlotte's Movie to Hold Auditions

From reading movie bulletin boards, rumor is that it's pretty certain that Frat Packers Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn and the Wilson brothers will also be in it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the working title is "talladega nights", and the word is the actors you mention will be in town to appear in the movie. the director of this movie is the same director of "anchor man".

sex panther, anyone?

the working title is "talladega nights",  and the word is the actors you mention will be in town to appear in the movie.  the director of this movie is the same director of "anchor man". 

sex panther, anyone?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Talledega title was scrapped when they decided to move most of the filming here. It is now the "unnamed Will Ferrell nascar movie".

Archived