NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

Actually, I just saw the Pei Cobb & Freed did Atlanta's as well....

But now I want Atlanta to win, because they were thoughtful enough to add a "green" roof that is covered in grass.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok atlrvr, I am calling Pei then and asking for a few modifications to CLT's proposal. :P

I agree the green is nice.

A2

Actually, I just saw the Pei Cobb & Freed did Atlanta's as well....

But now I want Atlanta to win, because they were thoughtful enough to add a "green" roof that is covered in grass.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How do you know that is grass? It could be a roof that is painted green.

According to an article I read, Pei's firm did not do the Atlanta HOF.

E. Verner Johnson & Associates did it.

http://www.atlantadowntown.com/NewsNascarBid.asp

Edit: In the CBJ article, it talks about Pei right under the paragraph that talks about Charlotte's HOF (so it is referring to Pei designing Charlotte's HOF, not Atlanta's)

I thought that sounded really weird that the same archtiecture firm would be designing two competing bids..talk about a conflict of interest.

According to an article I read, Pei's firm did not do the Atlanta HOF.

E. Verner Johnson & Associates did it.

http://www.atlantadowntown.com/NewsNascarBid.asp

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I stand corrected.....I skimmed the article and they were talking about Charlotte's proposal when they said Pei. Though, Atlanta still does get the grass roof. :cry:

I stand corrected.....I skimmed the article and they were talking about Charlotte's proposal when they said Pei.  Though, Atlanta still does get the grass roof.  :cry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, when (if) they build it in Charlotte take some seed and sod..and climb up on the roof of it

:silly:

That Atlanta design doesn't make as much sense to me. I mean, visually, I just don't get it like I get Charlotte's. I'm no expert, though.

So what if Atlanta does win this HoF? Has the redevelopment bug bitten enough people to motivate an alternative use for the site?

Ok guys, here is the deal. We all have a responsibility when it comes to the HofF. My plan is to tell five friends to wear yellow the day when NASCAR does their tour. If most of the posters from CLT told 5 people to wear yellow we could really make a statement. I want them to be blinded by Yellow to show our support for this thing. I was listening to the news the other day (I thinkWBTV) and Dave Wisnett (I think that is how you spell it), stated that the COO and others of NASCAR would be paying CLOSE ATTENTION to how each city responds to their visit. That WILL be weighed in at decision making time. WEAR YELLOW ON AUGUST 17TH !!!

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/12344919.htm

*Let it be noted that I am NOT a NASCAR fan, but believe in this project as it will add another catalyst to the economy and spur further development in the neglected 2nd ward area of downtown.

Ok guys, here is the deal. We all have a responsibility when it comes to the HofF. My plan is to tell five friends to wear yellow the day when NASCAR does their tour. If most of the posters from CLT told 5 people to wear yellow we could really make a statement.

Wow, it's amazing that I had to go to a Charlotte forum to find out about the Atlanta HOF bid. Thanks guys for digging up this information and website. This is the first time I have ever seen the bid and the location. I know exactly where they want to put it now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hey lady c, when you gonna get rid of the zero's and get down with the hero's....chatown is where its at. :P

*seriously, atlanta's design is really nice. i like it second best. :whistling:

hey lady c, when you gonna get rid of the zero's and get down with the hero's....chatown is where its at. :P

*seriously, atlanta's design is really nice.  i like it second best. :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In all honesty, I don't know why the HOF is flying so low under the radar. I'm not going to speak for all the citzens of metro Atlanta or northern Georgia but it seems like people are going "ho hum, ho hum." From where they are going to put it, it will be right on Centennial Olympic Park. That area will be loaded with "tourist" attractions. Plus it's steps from the Georgia World Congress Center....which competes directly with the McCormmick Center in Chicago and the Convention Centers in Orlando and Las Vegas for major national conventions.

I guess that's probably one of the pluses for Atlanta. With so many major conventions and tourist attractions in the area I figure they expect these people to take a gander at the HOF while they are in town. Being on the park does open it up to families as well. Maybe that will be the case....but I guess the actual citizens are mum on the issue. I'm actually surprised. Maybe all the clamour over the aquarium has left people numb to other new attractions. I guess we will see how excited people are when the NASCAR bigwigs come to town.

I guess it's okay. If it went to Charlotte I would be disappointed.....but I do want it to go to Charlotte though. Sorry Richmond and Kansas City. I definitely do not want Dayton to land the HOF....especially since they trashed us while the NASCAR voters were in their lovely and gracious city.

So you call it Chatown huh? Well I'm sure I will be paying Chatown a visit to see the HOF at least once. I'll stay in the Ritz, check out the HOF, go to the Mint Museum and stroll to the 3rd Ward Park. Did I get it right guys? ^_^

I've made some comments on other sites about Atlanta's design - & essentially all I, or most others have to say is: "Go Charlotte!" ;)

I really truly dislike the design of the site, not that I favor post-modernism, or post-post-modernism, or whatever that thing is supposed to be. But though I personally dislike NASCAR, though I grew up going to Charlotte speedway, I am honestly not meaning to be elitist in saying Atlanta shouldn't win the hall of fame, meaning that Atlanta is somehow 'too good for NASCAR'. But the design is horribly busy & being so close to other corporate attractions like the future new Coke museum & Home Depot's fish tank, I am a bit hesitant to turn the olympic park area fully into a tourism trap.

Personally I find Atlanta's proposal overloaded. The location, the design, and also the whole aspect of Atlanta being the transportation mecca of the South.

The location is in a part of Atlanta that is being stretched way too thin. I mean on one corner you have Coke, on the other you got the new Aquarium, on another you have Centennial Park, and not to mention CNN Center and Phillips Arena not far away, literally. How can one function around so many other places just like it.

Design combines a green top, swooping curves, public plaza, cars, underground parking, and flashing lights all in one really small looking building. Yeah it is necessary, but I mean there has got to be some breathing room.

Also somewhat with location, there are huge interchanges, the world's busiest airport, a major distribution center, rail centers, MARTA stations, and only a few hours from the busiest port in Georgia.

So much dependence on Atlanta could actually backfire on its proposal don't you think.

This was not to bash Atlanta, rather focus on points their city-leaders have to deal with as we speak. Trust me I know because my family is from there.

I've made some comments on other sites about Atlanta's design - & essentially all I, or most others have to say is:  "Go Charlotte!" ;)

I really truly dislike the design of the site, not that I favor post-modernism, or post-post-modernism, or whatever that thing is supposed to be.  But though I personally dislike NASCAR, though I grew up going to Charlotte speedway, I am honestly not meaning to be elitist in saying Atlanta shouldn't win the hall of fame, meaning that Atlanta is somehow 'too good for NASCAR'.  But the design is horribly busy & being so close to other corporate attractions like the future new Coke museum & Home Depot's fish tank, I am a bit hesitant to turn the olympic park area fully into a tourism trap.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Coke Museum, Home Depot Aquarium, Nascar Museum, etc etc. Our lives are completely controlled by the corporations. Oh well, I digress...

I don't think it will end up in Atlanta. But I have a hard time believing that it will end up in Charlotte too if the goal of Nascar is to spread the wealth around so to speak. Putting the HOF in Charlotte would be like taking sand to the beach. Nascar doesn't need any more attractions in Charlotte.

My vote goes to Richmond. Its the closest to the North East, which Nascar would greatly love to break into. Daytona is simply too far away from most of the USA, and I think KC is just a Red Herring. Nobody will go there.

Eastsider, I am not at all impressed with this. It looks, well.....CHEAP. I have pretty much counted them out as a whole just because of the whole lack of funding thing. I really think NASCAR is going to be looking at cities and states that are looking to back the HofF with Cash. It is really a shame too since Daytona has a lot of ties to NASCAR. But as with anything, especially the Hall of Fame, money talks....

Archived