NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

Don't know if anyone listens to sports talkshow "Primetime with the Packman" on WFNZ 1660AM, but he said Charlotte should build it's own racing HOF and put Earnhardt's, and Jarrett's car in there (& others) and that NASCAR should PAY the city to put it's name on it. Said there's no way Atl, KC, and Rich should even have a chance, that only Daytona would be ANY competition at all, but that Clt should get it given the # of teams in the area, # of races (3 I think), history in NC, local support, great location, etc. Take it FWIW.

I'm not at all surprised at the low turnout in Atlanta. Unlike Lady_Celeste I don't remember the Four Seasons opening (we're the same age, but she has a much better memory than me), but aside from the Atlanta Child Murders I can't remember anything getting much buzz aside from the Olympics.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Girly my memory isn't what it used to be. :D

The reason why I remember the opening of the Four Seasons is not because of the hotel itself but rather the building it resides in. I think the GLG Grand was started in 1989 or 90....IIRC....if you remember, this building was supposed to be one of many to be built by the Swedish developer (G. Lars Gullstedt) who fell in love with Atlanta. The building bears his initials. The AJC had done a big article about him because the GLG Grand was to become Atlanta's first mixed use building. If I'm not mistaken it was one of the first in the southeast. To mix hotel, office and residential in one building was a big to do. I kept up with every new building under construction in the city. This would have gone so against my image in high school but I used to secretly get excited about skyscrapers and development. It was my dirty little secret. :ph34r:

Building in Question

Well we all know that the Four Seasons landed in this building and that's how I remember the Four Seasons coming to Atlanta. It was in a round about way. :)

I say why not. I have been having this bad feeling in my gut about this HofF deal the whole time we have been rallying to get it. What really will frustrate me is that if we indeed DO NOT GET IT, then we have just spent a freggin boat load of time,money and effort to get NOTHING. While all along we could have been focused on the Arts Package, or perhaps expanding the Convention Center to attract more conventions to town. I swear if this thing goes to KC or ATL, I will write Bruton personally and ask him to build CHarlotte's own Race Car HofF out of shear spite. Hell I will inlude a 20 dollar checkalong with the letter to get him started on his funding campaign, and then after that I will get a group together to protest NASCAR'S slap in the face to Charlotte.

Again this is plan B. Plan A is we get thie silly thing and then I go home smiling.

Did all of you NASCAR buff's know this???

http://www.charlotteusa.com/Regional/regio...y_motorlist.asp

The Charlotte region is the hub for NASCAR, with over 90% of NASCAR teams built and operating within a fifty mile radius of downtown Charlotte. :o

ARE YOU KIDDING ME ?!

If we do not get the NASCAR Hall of Fame on this one fact than consider it a harsh slap in the face.

A2

The Charlotte region is the hub for NASCAR, with over 90% of NASCAR teams built and operating within a fifty mile radius of downtown Charlotte:o

ARE YOU KIDDING ME ?!

If we do not get the NASCAR Hall of Fame on this one fact than consider it a harsh slap in the face.

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah a very harsh slap...

The Charlotte region is the hub for NASCAR, with over 90% of NASCAR teams built and operating within a fifty mile radius of downtown Charlotte:o

ARE YOU KIDDING ME ?!

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep..and most of the drivers live around Mooresville too.

I hear that a lot of the drivers and crews consider Charlotte as their "Hollywood" because of its deep roots here.  I think the (Darrel?) Waltrip announcer on Fox said this about his fellow drivers.

yeah, it has to go in Charlotte.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It doesn't have to go in Charlotte. I'd wager that it would get better attendance in Daytona.

• 4 weeks later...

there isn't really a convention center thread out there, but the bizjournal had an interesting article on the convention center business, and touches on the nhof and the arena.

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte.../19/focus1.html

frankly, i am a little worried about how all these projects that are supposed to shore up the hotel/tourism industry seem to be struggling (the arena - see that thread - and the convention center). There have been so many investments made to improve the business, but none of it seems to be working very well. The ironic thing is, if we had kept more of our old buildings downtown (razed in the name of making money), we'd probably not have nearly the same problem in attracting people here.

anyway... i posted it in this thread, because it seems more than ever that the NHOF is our best bet for improving tourist travel to downtown. (of course, that may, too, be a false optimism).

I dunno about that. Just about every city has a scattering of old buildings. One of the things that makes Charlotte stand out is that everything *is* so new.

People... in general, like new subdivisions, new schools for the kids, new malls, new cars... well, you get the idea.

That was an interesting article. To sum it up, the convention center sits empty alot and hotels rooms are not being filled by it. This would seem to vindicate the opponents to the convention center who predicted this would happen when the debate was going on as to whether to build it or not.

The problem is this. Convention centers don't bring people to the city. Amenities, attractions, and things to do, do that. Until Charlotte does something to correct that problem I predict the same problems and adding more space to the Convention Center is only going to make the problem worse. (and it doesn't help that the NBA will be competing against Charlotte now)

Since the new convention center was built, there has been no significant retail added to downtown, what is there closes down outside of business hours along with a majority of the eateries, there are no other attractions to attract people to want to come to a convention in CLT, except for the odd highend restaurant and some bars. This is something that can be found in any city.

The city, in wasting $300M on a new arena missed an opportunity to do something really different downtown, but as we have seen, its most likey going to hurt more than help.

I dunno about that. Just about every city has a scattering of old buildings. One of the things that makes Charlotte stand out is that everything *is* so new.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The lack of historic fabric downtown is one of my biggest complaints about Charlotte. I like a lot about the city and have family roots there, but the city really bulldozed too much. My city of Altanta is not exactly a poster child for historic preservation, but it has still managed to save more of its downtown historic fabric than Charlotte (and without sacrificing progress might I add). That said, I do like a lot of the new architecture in downtown Charlotte.

People... in general, like new subdivisions, new schools for the kids, new malls, new cars... well, you get the idea.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I certainly agree that many and perhaps most people like the new, but most people are suburban anyway. I believe that most people who live in or make visits to central cities like the mix of the old and the new. The historic structures give a city a certain sense of place and a feeling of authenticity that most suburbs lack.

• 3 weeks later...

The Hall of Fame committee met on Monday in Daytona Beach to discuss the cities bidding for the hof and the follow-up information it has recieved since the visits to the cities in August. It also appears less likely that they would narrow the field to two or three cities this fall. They still expect to pick a city by the end of the year.

Orlando Sentinel: Site of NASCAR shrine still a mystery

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Also, discussed somewhere earlier on this thread, the Dale Trail is now open.

I live in Atlanta, and while I would be happy to see them put the HOF here, I think Charlotte deserves it more. Atlanta already has CNN, Coca Cola, and the new Aquarum, and besides, North Carolina is the heart of Nascar country.

While Charlotte is the logical and emotional choice, I think it's absurd for the local taxpayers to contribute as proposed. I'm hoping the upcoming city/county elections change the political make-up enough to substantially reduce the public money. This is doubly troubling for me because I love NASCAR racing. I don't like the money grabbing NASCAR organization.

I would be surprised to see the NASCAR HOF go anywhere other than Daytona or Charlotte. It seems like Charlotte has more local support since it is a much larger metro area than Daytona. I think the NASCAR folks will look at the 45 million tourists visiting Orlando every year and figure if even a small percentage of them make the hour drive to Daytona to visit they'll still get many times more visitors than in Charlotte. With Florida being a larger tourist draw you get year round visitors instead of an influx during races and then a dramatic drop the rest of the year. That said I wouldn't discount the pull of the larger metro area, and then even giving Atlanta an outside shot. I just can't see it in Kansas City or Richmond.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/storie...l.ee80f944.html

"Carolinas Poll: 6 out of 10 people won't visit nascar hall"

I think it's a positive, that 40% of ALL PEOPLE will visit the Nascar Hall of Fame

I feel strongly that Charlotte will not get the Hall of fame. 40 percent of all people in the Charlotte Metro area is not enough. Most of those people will only visit it once. The same for the people in the triad and triangle area. So where will the other people come from? You have to admit that Atlanta and Daytona are better choices for those obvious reasons. Charlotte is my top choice though.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/spo...ts/12888343.htm

"kansas city is viewed as the front-runner..." :eyeroll:

You gotta be kidding? right? I think it should be located "somewhere" in the south but Charlotte is on my if list. I can truly rule out Daytona and Richmond, but I don't think Charlotte will get it. The most likely city is Kansas City, then Atlanta, and then Charlotte. I would've thought all along that CLT would be a front-runner but I guess I was wrong. Bill France....How could you? :cry: I am very dissapointed in you! :lol:

You gotta be kidding? right? I think it should be located "somewhere" in the south but Charlotte is on my if list. I can truly rule out Daytona and Richmond, but I don't think Charlotte will get it. The most likely city is Kansas City, then Atlanta, and then Charlotte. I would've thought all along that CLT would be a front-runner but I guess I was wrong. Bill France....How could you? :cry: I am very dissapointed in you! :lol:

It isnt bill doing it, it's his idiotic son trying to reinvent the wheel.

Archived