NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

The funds for the NHOF and for the arena are both collected from the hotel tax. That means the revenue for those rely on 'tourists', so tourism is the highest priority for that money. If locals benefit also, then great.

Hopefully, we can fund the arts with other funds that do not rely so heavily on visitors. I think the most appropriate revenue sources for arts are a combination of:

- a modest increase in the uptown property tax

- a parking surcharge for events

- a ticket tax on culture and entertainment events.

That way, uptown residents contribute, uptown visitors contribute, and the more successful arts/entertainment help support the more refined arts/entertainment. (Private contributions and a few TIFs should remain part of the funding strategy).

Using that argument, one could say the Bobcats Arena, was certainly not worth the $265M it cost since we already had an arena, and the NBA appeals to only a very small segment of the community.

Not you specifically atlrvr, but generally I get the feeling the people are against the HOF simply because they associate it with being redneck because the arguments against it don't really seem to pan out.

Well, I guess you could say that, but the arena doesn't just host NBA events - it's not like Bank of America Stadium. It hosts concerts and other events that appeal to a lot of different people - For example, Rolling Stones, Elton John, Disney on Ice, Dolly Parton.

Personally, I think the difference between NASCAR and the Arts are that the Arts benefit the entire community (they are cultural and educational tools that the city needs) - I think atlrvr summed it up pretty well:

"As a few other people have said, I could care less if lots of tourists come to Charlotte other than the taxes they generate....I much prefer a city that has more amenities for myself and my family that we will use multiple times. Places like Orlando, Las Vegas, Myrtle Beach, while successful, are not the places that I would chose to live."

"I guess what I'm saying is that I value residents having a variety of amenities first, business attraction/retention secondly, and tourism a distant third."

I should of said in my first post that I'm not against the HOF, but if it comes down to the HOF vs. the Arts, I would definately choose the Arts. A city that caters to its residents first is a much more liveable city in the long run.

If the HOF comes here or not, it won't have any effect on funding for the Arts. The State of NC approved a special tax to fund part of the HOF that will not take effect if it does not go to Charlotte. Likewise, there are some pretty significant corporate donations that will be going to the HOF that will go way as well if the HOF does not come here.

The Arts has to stand on its own feet which it has failed to do.

Well, I guess you could say that, but the arena doesn't just host NBA events - it's not like Bank of America Stadium.

I was not referring to the NFL stadium. We already have a Coliseum (two in fact) than can and has hosted any event that can appear in the Bobcats Arena. My point is the argument for not building the HOF would also apply to the NBA arena since we already had those venues in town, just not in the CBD. And the building of the NBA Arena DID take away money that could have been used for Arts projects.

It's a double standard to support the Bobcats arena and not the Nascar HOF.

I think it's an either/or because I don't see the state approving the car-rental tax, and with all other possible revenue going to NASCAR, the arts will once again lose out......and unlike what was implied earlier in the thread, the arts have been waiting in line longer than any group.

If the car-rental tax fails, I have to believe that the city or banks will find another way. Who knows, maybe the banks will provide the cash in exchange for some more property.

Not even 'rich as heck' Nascar has plans to cover the capital costs of building the museum. From an operating budget perspective, the arts is now expected to stand on its own feet just like the Arena and the NHOF. The private sector funding drive will boost the endowments, which, combined with ticket proceeds, will allow the arts to cover its operating costs.

First off, this is just my opinion, so don't take it so seriously (or offensively):

Well, I guess the question is... Does the "much needed national distinction" have to be NASCAR? Regardless of NASCAR's boost in popularity, doesn't it still have a redneck stereotype? I guess I just don't associate "world-class" with NASCAR. Don't even get me started on the checkered flag designed "Welcome to Charlotte" sign painted on a concrete wall when you enter and exit the airport - it's tacky :sick:

I don't think it has to be focused on NASCAR at all. I see it as part of the fabric that defines us.

To your other point, I love NASCAR racing, so it's disappointing to have to say this. If NASCAR is going to be considered world class, they will have to step it up big time with the facilities and crowd control. Rowdy drunks need to be removed. And when you walk under the grandstand you shouldn't be showered with liquids from the seats above. Disgusting.

• 2 weeks later...

Officials in Atlatna feel that the contest to land the hall of fame will come down to Atlanta and Charlotte. The head of NASCAR said that none of the cities have been ruled out, but some are looking better than others. Officials with the four other cities in the running said that they had no clue which way NASCAR was leaning.

Also, NASCAR will not announce the location for the hof until the first quarter of 2006 and not at its awards ceremony in Dec. as previously thought.

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/busine...2biznascar.html

Officials in Atlatna feel that the contest to land the hall of fame will come down to Atlanta and Charlotte. The head of NASCAR said that none of the cities have been ruled out, but some are looking better than others. Officials with the four other cities in the running said that they had no clue which way NASCAR was leaning.

Also, NASCAR will not announce the location for the hof until the first quarter of 2006 and not at its awards ceremony in Dec. as previously thought.

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/busine...2biznascar.html

I have a bad feeling with under-estimating the numbers CLT is really shooting down their chances. I think 400k compared to ATL's 1M figure is totally off. I mean really. We will get 400K visitors from out of town during a single race. Not to mention there is a small museum up the road right next to the Racetrack that averages around 300K visitors a year and I di not even know it existed.

Again I am not a huge Nascar guy, but it makes NO sense to me why CLT would throw out such a LOW number of potential visitors. ATL is also touting their huge convention numbers. According to their numbers they draw over 3,000,000 annually compared to CLT's little 330K.

I think in all honesty that has to be the ugliest stat for CLT. Even outside of the HofF bid, I would be totally ashamed. I think Charlotte has got to do a better job of recruiting conventions. I mean it is ten times less than Atlanta. I have had an opportunity to meet several convention goers who come to CLT for the first time. Everyone of them are VERY impressed with CenterCity Charlotte and wanted to come back if possible. Why is Charlotte not doing MORE to attract more convention goers?

If it is money or convention space? Is it number of Hotel rooms? Whatever it is, we need to focus on getting it fixed ASAP.

A2

I maybe wrong as I often am, but I think Atlanta has the 2nd highest convention attendees in the country after Las Vegas.....part of it I would assume has to do with having an airport with so many flights to so many places, yet having relatively low airfares. Secondly, they have a tremendous number of hotels. Plus there is the reputation for being a good place to hold a meeting.

However, Atlanta, like most places is suffering in it convetion business, with 2003 numbers about 15% less than the peak in the late 90's and up maybe only 3% from 2002, the low point for convention business. I think that downtown Atlanta is suffering in general, and that other cities are becoming more aggressive. Charlotte isn't overly aggressive in trying to recruit conventions, whereas many cities essentially give away free space, Charlotte tries to operate the convention center to at least break even.

I just saw that. I doubt it means too much, but who knows.

We are very close to knowing whether we get this thing or not. I know many are growing pessimistic and think we won't get it. It will be very exciting if we get it, as there will be a lot more momentum for economic activity and new projects in Second Ward and at the South Blvd/277 interchange.

I just saw that. I doubt it means too much, but who knows.

We are very close to knowing whether we get this thing or not. I know many are growing pessimistic and think we won't get it. It will be very exciting if we get it, as there will be a lot more momentum for economic activity and new projects in Second Ward and at the South Blvd/277 interchange.

You've got to wonder if the KC NASCAR proposal would get funding with them wanting to upgrade Arrowhead stadium with $300 million roof and other improvements. Those are two pretty big projects to be biting off simultaneously.

You've got to wonder if the KC NASCAR proposal would get funding with them wanting to upgrade Arrowhead stadium with $300 million roof and other improvements. Those are two pretty big projects to be biting off simultaneously.

I agree, I think that will probably make the population less interested in funding Nascar, as the Chiefs are worshipped in that town. We'll see.

I tend to think the only way KC ever had a shot was if there really was a fix in place.

So I read just about most of this thread and Ihave to say, you Charlotte forumers are some loyal people. Everyone has managed to post any and every possible reason on why Charlotte should get this thing and not Daytona. Essentialy, if Daytona were to start a thread they could copy the comments you guys just made, erase the word Charlotte and enter Daytona and the points would still be valid. Over the last 8 pages, two people from Florida made very valuable points regarding Daytonas chances. The first got completely overlooked. The second, got dismissed, stating "they cant get funding therefore they're not a frontrunner. Folks it's Daytona, they'll get the money. If private contribution doesn't work the city will pay. Daytona is a frontrunner simply by the fact that it is Daytona. All the Homeboyism in the world can't change that. If that wasn't enough there is a little town 45 minutes away called Orlando. I heard a lot of people visit there every year.

Daytona is a frontrunner simply by the fact that it is Daytona. All the Homeboyism in the world can't change that. If that wasn't enough there is a little town 45 minutes away called Orlando. I heard a lot of people visit there every year.

Daytona's biggest problem is that it is in Florida. :lol: (I am just kidding)

Nascar has refused to take any of the cities off the table. Although behind closed doors there might be a front-runner, or even a winner. Publicly, though, it is still anyone's guess.

I think early on, a lot of people were thinking, if not posting, that Daytona was a worthy location. The financial plan for a hundred million dollar project cannot be an afterthought. Of course, if Daytona is selected, the money will likely be found, but most of the the other cities already have funding in place. No questioning the history and tourist draw of Daytona.

At this point, I say good luck to all the cities. They all have good reasons for being selected. But I hope it comes to Charlotte, we don't have an Atlantic shorefront to bring people here, so projects like this are crucial for getting people here spending money.

Nascar has refused to take any of the cities off the table. Although behind closed doors there might be a front-runner, or even a winner. Publicly, though, it is still anyone's guess.

I think early on, a lot of people were thinking, if not posting, that Daytona was a worthy location. The financial plan for a hundred million dollar project cannot be an afterthought. Of course, if Daytona is selected, the money will likely be found, but most of the the other cities already have funding in place. No questioning the history and tourist draw of Daytona.

At this point, I say good luck to all the cities. They all have good reasons for being selected. But I hope it comes to Charlotte, we don't have an Atlantic shorefront to bring people here, so projects like this are crucial for getting people here spending money.

Thats fair. Good luck. Happy Thanksigiving to all.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived