NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

$62m in tax revenue or economic impact? If it is economic impact, then I'm somewhat surprised it is so low. I mean, the CIAA tournament for one week is expected to bring in $12m from only 30k people. Nascar HOF is conservatively expected to pull in 13 times the number of people per year.

Still $62m is nothing to scoff at. I'm still convinced that the arena, the nascar HOF, and the arts master plan are all worth their price tags as public investments.

Ok...I live in Atlanta...& Fox5 News just did a report on the city's possibility of luring the HOF. Of course, the ATL media made it seem like the city already had it in the bag! They threw the obvious big names in the mix, you know: the Georgia Aquarium, booming downtown district, millions of people projected to visit, and of course...being ATLANTA. Then, they did something that hurt me as a Charlotte-native. They took a snapshot of Trade and Tryon Street on a dead afternoon and advertised that as our ENTIRE downtown. "Charlotte's downtown is a ghost-town compared to Atlanta." They even went as far as to describe us as a "town" and used phrases like "they're [Charlotte] hoping they can compete." I was tickled by this report, seeing that Atlanta seems to be very very very eager to land this gig.

^ Realistically, I know it won't - but I hope it would divert more interest into finishing the funding for the symphony hall. Otherwise, the design & place of the HOF would be too distracting for downtown. Not to mention the additional vehicle traffic it would generate, as the aquarium has.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/spo...ts/13969681.htm

Inside sources are pointing to Charlotte as the already selected location for the Nascar Hall of Fame.

I am not a fan of the sport, but I am a fan of investing $130 million in a tourist mecca in an otherwise vacant part of downtown.

I am really excited at the prospect of getting the Pei building added to our skyline, too.

Sweet. Verified by four independent sources. Seems pretty credible to me. The proverbial fat lady just opened her mouth to belt one out...

I'm pretty astonished. Not that I don't love Charlotte, I do, but I thought for sure the lure of maximum visitors would help the Atlanta bid. I have the feeling that the attacks by the AJC hurt the bid. NASCAR did mention a few times how much civic attitude helps.

I'll throw this out there....a good source of a lot of my info says his source claims to have inside info and we are guaranteed the NHOF.....I don't usually like throwing out double-hearsay, but he just seemed so damn confident and smug about this one.....and he is an eternal naysayer, so.....

5 independent sources. ;)

I'll be happy if Charlotte wins it, the money could go for better things in Atlanta - particularly a new symphony hall.

Assuming the of course that money being put up to lure Nascar could be diverted towards such a thing. My guess is those funds will disappear.

The money earmarked specifically for NHOF may disappear but perhaps this will give the oppotunity for renewed attention from the state and local governments for more pressing matters like funding for a world class venue- for a world class symphony orchestra- and an all inclusive metro-wide transit authority. I'm baffled at how state lawmakers were so eager to carry the torch of the NHOF...which would benefit Atlanta....yet they balk at funding MARTA. Priorities, priorities, priorities..... :rolleyes:

To Spectacle21:

You must have missed the report they did on Charlotte on Saturday. Same newscast. The Fox affilliate. If you saw that report, they actually present Charlotte as a very attractive city with many plus. Each night was to show the city in a positive light. The skyline views were very beautiful. Although they did say that in comparison downtown Atlanta is more vibrant than Charlotte, they presented Charlotte as a very clean (perhpas sterile) and safe place. It was not all bad...quite the contrary.

Either way....allow me to end my post positively. I am absolutely thrilled for the city of Charlotte. This will bring people to the city center and that is always a plus.

Ok...I live in Atlanta...& Fox5 News

Please tell me you're kidding. You cannot possibly take Fox 5 seriously. You just can't.

Atlanta's media is mostly responding to Charlotte media comments about Atlanta over the last year or so. The Observer has been particularly bad. Of course, obsession with Atlanta is nothing new at the Observer offices. :P (I know they read this forum...)

This will bring people to the city center and that is always a plus.

I guess you haven't been keeping up with Charlotte news lately... Haven't you heard? Uptown is dangerous. No one who values their safety and their property would dare go Uptown. Especially at night. [/sarcasm]

Metro, that's fantastic! Congratulations on the media mentions. I suspect The Observer doesn't mention UP is because they'd have to reveal one of their best sources of info. :D

Lady_Celeste, perspective is everything. :) The perecption that Uptown is dangerous is actually a local issue. I've run into more than a few people who avoid going to Uptown at night due to that (unfair) belief. As for the HOF, there are some people who would rather see the HOF built in Concord or nearby instead of Uptown. It's like DT Atlanta. There are a lot of people who just work there and would never eat, shop or play in the area after work. Sad...

Crispin, if you read UP regularly and you read The Observer regularly, you will see a connection between what is posted here and what is printed there. It's obvious (at least to me) that they use posts here for the articles. UP is a better source of info than what I've read in the local paper. That isn't true 100% of the time (The Observer gets a scoop every now and then), but Observer staff should give UP more credit than they have.

Crispin, if you read UP regularly and you read The Observer regularly, you will see a connection between what is posted here and what is printed there. It's obvious (at least to me) that they use posts here for the articles. UP is a better source of info than what I've read in the local paper. That isn't true 100% of the time (The Observer gets a scoop every now and then), but Observer staff should give UP more credit than they have.

I do read regularly. And what I read regularly are forums/discussions that begin with a link to an Observer article and continue with a flurry of discussion about what the story said and what it means. Don't get me wrong. I love UrbanPlanet. It's the best place I know for intelligent discussion about development. And it's a wonderful way to keep abreast of projects after that first big announcement. But as Metro.M recently wrote on one of these threads, developers don't leak news about their plans on Internet message boards. It breaks with an announcement, or an advertisement, or an article in the Observer, and then UrbanPlanet hosts the afterparty.

But as Metro.M recently wrote on one of these threads, developers don't leak news about their plans on Internet message boards. It breaks with an announcement, or an advertisement, or an article in the Observer, and then UrbanPlanet hosts the afterparty.

No, I'm not speaking of major stories. It's always something small and sometimes very obscure. I once posted about something I heard read and 2 days later, it was a source in The Observer. I've seen small comments posted on this board end up in columns in The Observer. And yes, there are sometimes smaller stories that they miss, which are posted about here. 2 days later, there's a story in The Observer. It's small things, but they do cull these boards for info and ideas. This thread provided a lot of info for Observer staff as to what was going on in other cities regarding the HOF. Check some of the older NASCAR HOF articles against this thread. It doesn't happen all the time, but you can see a bit of a pattern.

Archived