NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

I need to stop watching 24 live. I can't believe I knew what what you were talking about. Back to the DVR for me. :)

Did you see the clip of McCrory's interview, where he really made it seem like he knew we had it in the bag?

Mayors are paid to be confident in the city, but that sure did come across as though he knew we had it. He couldn't even come up with an answer for 'what if we don't get it'.

Fox 8 showed that clip again. Basically they said everything the papers are saying, about Charlottes big money but more crowds at ATL. Also they hinted on the fact of attendence numbers 10-20 years down the road. They interview some people up a Lowes Motor Speedway which were pushing for Charlotte. The news anchors them selfs were also going for Charlotte. Ethier way, Atlanta, Charlotte or Daytona. I think the hall will be successfull. I'm personaly going for Charlotte, but thats just me. Just kno u have the Triad on your side. Lol. Now let me go to bed. Gots school in da morning.

FOX8 has a partnership with Charlotte's WSOC-TV Channel 9. The report shown on WGHP-TV (FOX8) tonight was Laura Palka's report from WSOC-TV... so it's the same thing Charlotteans saw.

I need to stop watching 24 live. I can't believe I knew what what you were talking about. Back to the DVR for me. :)

That's the best show isn't it? It's great watching it with TiVo.

The Associated Press has now confirmed the Observer's story, no doubt using the same confidential sources, and it is showing up in over 170 newspapers nationwide. Here's the AP story:

http://www.newsobserver.com/122/story/412345.html

Meanwhile ATL hasn't given up--Georgia legislators plan to introduce several bills this week to sweeten their deal:

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/busine...8biznascar.html

I suppose if you want to be cynical (or hopeful if you're for ATL) you could say maybe NASCAR intentionlly leaked the CLT story to put pressure on ATL to come up with more $$$, but with all the nationwide press now reporting CLT as the likely HOF location that doesn't make good PR sense

FOX8 has a partnership with Charlotte's WSOC-TV Channel 9. The report shown on WGHP-TV (FOX8) tonight was Laura Palka's report from WSOC-TV... so it's the same thing Charlotteans saw.

This is waaaay of topic, but I have been wondering for a year now :unsure: . Does anyone know if Laura Palka is related to Fox 5's Sue Palka in D.C?

Am I the only one horrified by that article? They want more? All that Charlotte, Atlanta and Daytona have promised them and yet they still want more. I. Am. Outraged.

I don't think the article says that Nascar is asking for more, but as with all bidding wars, if people sense that they won't win, they add something to sweeten the pot. I think that Atlanta is only offering more at the moment because their financing was not completely there to begin with.

It's a paltry sum however when you look at the deal the city gave the NBA. That was truely outrageous.

I wasn't living here when the Bobcats deal was made. How much did the city give them?

I don't think the article says that Nascar is asking for more, but as with all bidding wars, if people sense that they won't win, they add something to sweeten the pot. I think that Atlanta is only offering more at the moment because their financing was not completely there to begin with.

Here's the section that angered me:

Several NASCAR sources told The Associated Press on Monday that the Queen City is the leading contender to land the hall. The sources, all of whom have firsthand knowledge of the negotiations, asked to remain anonymous because details still were being worked out. One of the issues under discussion is NASCAR's request for a low-cost rental agreement on its Charlotte offices.

That, to me, sounds like asking for more money. Atlanta scrambling to come up with even more money for the HOF is another indication that NASCAR wants more.

Well, you could also read that another way. They might be considering adding space here, or possibly even moving their HQ here. In negotiations like that have many give and take points. Taking one element out of those discussion gives a bad impression.

However, if they are actively trying to squeeze everyone down, that is no good.

I wasn't living here when the Bobcats deal was made. How much did the city give them?

After the citizens voted against spending money to build a stadium downtown for the NBA, he city did it anyway.

The deal was the taxpayers of Charlotte builds a $265M Arena downtown, the one you see today, and then turn complete control of it over to Bob Johnson for use by him and the NBA. He gets to keep all receipts generated by the facility including all events having nothing to do with the NBA. He gets control of the naming rights and all money generated by the naming rights, and the city is also on the hook to provide about $1M/year in traffic control police. (most other private business have to pay for this). Since the city technically owns the building, I assume they are responsible for such things as insurance, maintenance, and of course there is no property tax.

Note the voters are no longer asked if they would like their taxes to pay for projects such as this.

LOOKS LIKE WE GOT IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/spo...ts/13985831.htm

:yahoo:

Wow! Great find, g4c!

It looks like we now have two more blocks of downtown surface lots to be converted to a building, and a huge tourism-attracting building by a world class design team at that.

We'll also get a redesigned South Blvd-277 interchange, which is bonus!

By the way, we heard it first on UP by way of Atlrvr :).

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...post&pid=322647

This competition has had 47 pages of discussion here (not to mention all the discussion in all of the other cities forums). I think you are allowed to post some smiley's now that the announcement appears to be coming your way :).

Archived