NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

insomnia is the only way to live, congradulations to charlotte, this is where racing was born, and where racing belongs, I'm not a nascar fan, but I'm a fan of charlotte, and a fan of nc and this will do great things for our city, so is it true that france just bought a house in charlotte recently?

also what is the time table of such a project when is the predicted opening???? can't take too long to build

This competition has had 47 pages of discussion here (not to mention all the discussion in all of the other cities forums). I think you are allowed to post some smiley's now that the announcement went your way :).

There were 5 independant threads on this subject and a bunch of posts that ended up in the trash because some people had a hard time containing their emotions. The Charlotte one, followed by Atlanta one is the only one with significant activity since the end of last year.

I wonder if any developers have hotel tower plans ready for the announcement. I'm going to guess no, since the market has been soft, and there have been some announcements in the last month anyway. It would be interesting to see if that happens, though.

It's a paltry sum however when you look at the deal the city gave the NBA. That was truely outrageous.

But the new arena has over 1 million visitors a year, which is more than double the HOF projections, for less than double the cost.

Regardless, though I'm still cautious that this will hurt our chances in getting the Arts package, I welcome the increase in visitors/spending/ancillary development that this will bring.

THIS however bothered me in today's observer.

Charlotte's proposal calls for a futuristic-looking $137.5 million building at Brevard and Stonewall streets that would also include a new ballroom for the uptown Convention Center.

This shows how behind we are architectually here. What is considered modern in most cities is futuristic in Charlotte.

But the new arena has over 1 million visitors a year, which is more than double the HOF projections, for less than double the cost.

Difference here might be that this will be a national draw and bring money in from out of the state. I wonder what the breakdown is with respect to regional v. national visitors? I would think regional would be a high percentage at first, and then die down. National should remain pretty constant? I'm guessing here.

You are forgetting that we already had an arena that drew in people so the real benefit of the new arena is the difference between what was going to the Coleseum vs the new Arena. Since it holds less people, I think we probably lost out on visitors to the city. When you consider this difference, the NBA deal was really really outrageous. At best, you can probably count the attendence of Bobcat games as the net gain as the NBA would not be here otherwise. Their performance has not been that good.

And you also have to count that we also have a 3rd empty sports venue (the original coleseum) that is sitting in a depressed area of town where attendance there could certainly help the local businesses. Why should these business owners lose out over those in the center city? They pay taxes too. Yes it was really outrageous what the city did for the NBA.

And it is my guess is that NASCAR already brings in far more people to the city than the NBA and far more people that come to the arena, and they have never asked for a dime of local tax money until the HOF came around. I don't really mind spending this money for the HOF. It will have a wider draw than a sports arena for the NBA and NASCAR has always supported Charlotte even in lean times. Unlike the NBA.

You are forgetting that we already had an arena that drew in people so the real benefit of the new arena is the difference between what was going to the Coleseum vs the new Arena. Since it holds less people, I think we probably lost out on visitors to the city. When you consider this difference, the NBA deal was really really outrageous. At best, you can probably count the attendence of Bobcat games as the net gain as the NBA would not be here otherwise. Their performance has not been that good.

And you also have to count that we also have a 3rd empty sports venue (the original coleseum) that is sitting in a depressed area of town where attendance there could certainly help the local businesses. Why should these business owners lose out over those in the center city? They pay taxes too. Yes it was really outrageous what the city did for the NBA.

And it is my guess is that NASCAR already brings in far more people to the city than the NBA and far more people that come to the arena, and they have never asked for a dime of local tax money until the HOF came around. I don't really mind spending this money for the HOF. It will have a wider draw than a sports arena for the NBA and NASCAR has always supported Charlotte even in lean times. Unlike the NBA.

It's built and over with.....the new arena brings people to downtown; with the luxury box situation in the old coliseum, it's very doubtful that Charlotte would have received the CIAA and 2008 ACC tournament bids. I traveled from Columbia to Raleigh last Friday along with a co-worker, I suggested we stop in Charlotte for lunch (uptown at the Fox and Hound). He recently moved from Michigan to Raleigh and was thoroughly impressed with Charlotte. There were KIDS everywhere (Discovery Place, etc) with parents; school buses all around the arena....was there a circus in town (arena)....anyway my co-worker was online the other day purchasing Bobcat tickets (He's flying his girlfriend from Houston to attend a game in Charlotte as she is a big NBA fan....this type of exposure is priceless).

Congrats on the Hall of Fame and the new arena (whatever it cost) as it is definitely a PLUS! If the fat lady sings (ain't over till it's over) on Monday, Charlotte will immediately elevate it's stature in terms of tourist destinations. Isn't the Speed Channel HQTrd in Concord?....I'll bet they're licking at the chops to broadcast live from the NHOF when it's completed.

No hard feelings Metro as I understand your point....but it's built...might as well support it, because it ain't going nowhere.

No hard feelings Metro as I understand your point....but it's built...might as well support it, because it ain't going nowhere.

I was responding to earlier comments about the HOF being outrageous. It really isn't when you consider the deal the city gave the NBA. That was the point of bringing it up again. However when those facts are presented it always gets people riled up. There was no intent to do that.

We don't know what the CIAA would have done when presented with the $1,000,000 the city gave them to bring the event to Charlotte had the arena not been downtown. We all know it's money and nothing else that decides these things.

I am so excited we'll get a unique iconic building. The arena was such a debaucle that the architects couldn't really go to town. With everybody squarely in support of Nascar we finally can 'waste' money on incredible architecture. We now just need to drum up similar support for funding the arts campus.

Isn't the Speed Channel HQTrd in Concord?....I'll bet they're licking at the chops to broadcast live from the NHOF when it's completed.

Speed is in Charlotte, but you'd never know it. I passed by their HQ twice a day for at least six months without ever realizing it.

I bet there will likely come all of those big name national chains..... ie hard rock etc. I don't know what to think of this. The best thing that has come out of this, is that charlotte has cemented itself as the racing capital of the world.....which is pretty cool in itself. However, the biggest thing that this (Along with the whitewater park) is that it sets us apart from any other "cookie-cutter" southern city. In a way this has always been known to those of us that are from charlotte, but now this will be know worldwide. This is the biggest announcement in charlotte is years....maybe decades.

Archived