NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

I'm a little confused about the math too, but according to the AJC:

"The city's action brings Atlanta's NASCAR hall of fame bid from $92 million, which includes Perdue's state commitments, bank loans and corporate support, to $169 million."

Here's another tidbit off the news wires:

"Two NASCAR sources close to the negotiations told The Associated Press later Wednesday that although Charlotte is the leading candidate, the deal is not complete and negotiations were ongoing. One source said NASCAR Chairman Brian France spent Tuesday in Charlotte meeting with city leaders but left without a deal."

that "left without a deal" piece worries me

I don't think we really need to be worried. If I'm interpreting that article correctly, it only means that they've increased the total bid from $92M to $102M. The city has just 'guaranteed' it's portion will increase from $5M to $77M of that total $102M figure. I can't see how that would really untangle anything. Our $137M bid has been 'guaranteed' from the get-go.

I'm not so sure.

"The original financial package proposed $30 million from the state ($25 million) and city ($5 million), another $30 million through conventional financing and the remainder of the then $92 million hall of fame price tag through corporate sponsorship."

The City of Atlanta has raised their portion from $5M to $77M and the total bid is now at $169M, compared to Charlotte's $137.5M.

BTW, with Mayor Franklin's extra $77 million, the AJC says the CLT money offer now "pales in comparison" to the ATL offer

Thank you for showing this. I haven't been keeping up with every new story about it so UP is my place for the news on the HOF. If what you are saying is correct...and I will read your sources provided...I will promptly shoot off an email to the mayor saying "WTH." $77 million dollars can go a long way in helping Atlanta realize it's dream of building a world class symphony hall to match it's worldclass symphony.

I'm starting to wonder though...if the France family is so rich, why can't the winning city and the France family go dutch on this endeavor? Wouldn't that be a win-win situation for both parties involved?

Guys, I think the cart may in fact be ahead of the horse. I've read the increase in confidence on this board with somewhat of a "grain of salt" so to speak. I travel the southeast extensively and have offices in Raleigh (my home) Charlotte, Columbia, Charleston, Atlanta, and Fort Lauderdale. I read business periodicals from each daily. Atlanta has held the position that it was theirs all along. I'm not saying its done, and I really don't care one way or the other, but the chatter down there has been that we are pretenders to the throne.

That's what I'm nervous about. This is getting pathetic.

I'm rooting for you, Atlanta!

This is just me - but I always thought Darlington, SC should have it besides Charlotte. Otherwise I'm wishing you all the best! But before long our mayor is going to throw in the Beltline, the sewer system upgrade & the greenspace plan into the betting pile.

if the bid gets any higher we can kiss the arts plan goodbye

My sources tell me that the CLT city council has pitched a novel plan to NASCAR involving combining the HOF with the arts plan to create a combination HOF/African-American Museum along with Bechtler's paintings hanging in the restrooms---so.... top that if you can ATL!!

:P

But before long our mayor is going to throw in the Beltline, the sewer system upgrade & the greenspace plan into the betting pile.

You know Teshadoh.....these are other project worthy of such emphasis. Hello....the Beltline will go even further in making Atlanta stand out. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the NASCAR HOF, I just thing there are higher priorities. $169 million could be used as set asides to jump start the light rail portion of the Beltline. I could also be used to set aside affordable housing in some of the quadrants of the Beltline. I am all for legacy projects (my own children are legacy projects...just kidding :whistling: ) but I feel if leaving her mark on Atlanta is her goal then Mayor Franklin should concentrate on things that make the city better for the citizens....not just for corporations.

That's my only beef with the HOF. The Georgia Aquarium was gifted to the city and as of today has passed the 1,000,000th visitor mark. Tourist attractions are good business for sunshine cities. If I had to choose between tourism and the Beltline, I would choose the Beltline everyday, anyday, allday.

I suspect Charlotte leaders held some ammo back from the beginning. This is the big leagues, and they surely knew another round or two of sweeteners would take place. Nevertheless, Atlanta is the perfect foil, for NASCAR to get maximum leverage with Charlotte.

My sources tell me that the CLT city council has pitched a novel plan to NASCAR involving combining the HOF with the arts plan to create a combination HOF/African-American Museum along with Bechtler's paintings hanging in the restrooms---so.... top that if you can ATL!!

:P

Considering some of our money for the HOF just announced by the state was to go to the homeless - I think they will combine the NASCAR HOF with a homeless shelter... Oh wait, that is practically every building in downtown already ;)

Are you just pondering hypotheticals or are you hinting at something?

http://www.newsobserver.com/122/story/412345.html

I wish I was hinting. Like our Atlanta friends, I was wondering what $150M could be used for that could make a larger impact. We claim we keep losing companies to SC because we can't compete with their incentives, but now we apparantly have $150M to lure a company here....I just wonder how big of a corporate fish that would catch.

Archived