NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

I am remaining cautiously optimistic--obviously NASCAR would want to iron out a few details before selecting a city and then finding out something wasn't quite as it appeared to be in the city's bid (how bad would that look if they had to "unselect" a city after awarding it the HOF) so I think what has been reported in the Observer in regards to the closed-door City Council meetings is consistent with what would/should be happening if CLT is indeed the chosen site. Of course NASCAR can honestly say that the decision hasn't been made yet, since the devil is always in the details, and they might not see eye-to-eye with CLT on the fine print, but I will remain optimistic that we get an official NASCAR announcement Monday. (hell I thought it was going to Daytona last month, so what do I know!)

Curiously NASCAR is running the Observer story on its official website.....

http://www.nascar.com/2006/news/headlines/...e.ap/index.html

That is indeed odd. But I still believe Charlotte has it & has always had it. NASCAR just wanted it to be more 'competitive' as not only the added financial package has made it a sweeter deal, but the incredible publicity too.

That is indeed odd. But I still believe Charlotte has it & has always had it. NASCAR just wanted it to be more 'competitive' as not only the added financial package has made it a sweeter deal, but the incredible publicity too.

Personally I think they have overplayed their hand. There is going to be one pissed off city no matter which way it goes now and that ultimately can't be good for NASCAR.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/nascar/auto/22329/

This should shed some light on things

Hmm maybe not as it sounds as if they are hedging their bets.

1st sentence in that link.

NASCAR will host a press conference Monday at 4 p.m. at the Charlotte Convention Center to announce that Charlotte will be the home to the NASCAR Hall of Fame, multiple sources confirmed to SPEEDTV.com today

Last sentence in that link

SPEED will break into its regular programming to cover the Hall of Fame announcement, whenever it takes place. :rofl:

The AJC has corrected itself. Charlotte is still the high bidder

City: $77 millionfor NASCAR bid

Total bid now $102 million in battle with Charlotte.

AJC

$102M is not their total bid - just their "public money" portion. Charlotte's public money portion is still higher, but Atlanta's latest bid, when you look at the public money and the private/corporate funds together; is higher.

interesting...that could be really sad if their mayor just reported the funds so that nascar would take another glimpse at their proposal. If the homeless were promised that $77 mil, they should get it. That's REAL messed up if that money was intended for them in the first place

This is all a very interesting twist. Did the Observer just ruin this for us? It caused Atlanta to increase their bid, and maybe caused France to reconsider. Yikes.

Of course, he may just stretch it out, and then make a surprise announcement (still of Charlotte), just so that it doesn't have an appearance of a foregone conclusion.

For crying out loud, though, this is getting crazy.

He has to say that. Charlottes got it won about 99% unless ATL or Daytona come out with an out of this world offer. I still say this gets announced monday. Bet France is pissed this got out too. If they are now considering the upped bid by ATL amidst all this, then screw them.

I agree. I think NASCAR just got blind-sided by the leaks and is trying (poorly) to do damage control--I think it's too late for ATL to be offering more $$$, plus that whole $77 mil from Mayor Franklin doesn't seem so solid.

It really was bad journalism by the Observer, to be printing rumor and scuttlebutt from unnamed sources on the front page.

I do think the AJC has done a better job of looking at things critically and just reporting what's verifiable.

$102M is not their total bid - just their "public money" portion. Charlotte's public money portion is still higher, but Atlanta's latest bid, when you look at the public money and the private/corporate funds together; is higher.

The Atlanta hall is projected to cost $92 million. They were going to get $30m from the government, borrow $30m from the banks, and beg $30m from the private sector. Now they've got $102m from the government -- and they say they'll use $10m for advertising.

The AJC story doesn't say that they still plan to borrow $30m from the banks -- or beg $30m from companies. Are you sure that's all still part of the Atlanta plan? What would they use it for?

I didn't think Charlotte's local TV news could stay out of it. :lol:

Here is a quick survey of what they are reporting:

• WBTV 3 - They are absolutely confirming the Observer story, saying they have talked to these unnamed sources as well.
  • WSOC 9 - Pretty neutral. Since they are at the top of the ratings heap, I guess they are hedging their bets.
  • Cable channel 14 - They are just replaying the other stories.
  • WCCB 18 - Do they actually have any news on their news program?
  • WCNC 36 - They are the most negative of the lot, reporting that France is saying no decision has been made. In fact they make note of the observer's headline this morning as possibly being pre-mature since they could not verify it. "If Humpy Wheeler doesn't know, then who does?" LOL
  • Interestingly the Observer seems to have dropped the story from prominance from their website.

So we have channel 3 agreeing with the observer, channel 36 reporting that France says no decision, and the rest of the lot hedging its bets.

This just in from the AJC:

"But people close to NASCAR and local bid officials acknowledged Wednesday that all of Atlanta's efforts may be too late. A person within NASCAR familiar with the negotiations told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that if Charlotte's City Council approves promises that the city's bid team has made to NASCAR, then that city gets the hall. A Charlotte City Council meeting is set for Monday."

This just in from the AJC:

"But people close to NASCAR and local bid officials acknowledged Wednesday that all of Atlanta's efforts may be too late. A person within NASCAR familiar with the negotiations told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that if Charlotte's City Council approves promises that the city's bid team has made to NASCAR, then that city gets the hall. A Charlotte City Council meeting is set for Monday."

Link to the AJC article:

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/business/s...2biznascar.html

Archived