NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

Okay, that makes me a little bit more confident. It makes a lot of sense that France is trying to keep everyone in the game, but mostly the "it's not over" is just that the sale has been been officially approved and ratified.

I didn't think Charlotte's local TV news could stay out of it. :lol:

Here is a quick survey of what they are reporting:

• WBTV 3 - They are absolutely confirming the Observer story, saying they have talked to these unnamed sources as well.
  • WSOC 9 - Pretty neutral. Since they are at the top of the ratings heap, I guess they are hedging their bets.
  • Cable channel 14 - They are just replaying the other stories.
  • WCCB 18 - Do they actually have any news on their news program?
  • WCNC 36 - They are the most negative of the lot, reporting that France is saying no decision has been made. In fact they make note of the observer's headline this morning as possibly being pre-mature since they could not verify it. "If Humpy Wheeler doesn't know, then who does?" LOL
  • Interestingly the Observer seems to have dropped the story from prominance from their website.

So we have channel 3 agreeing with the observer, channel 36 reporting that France says no decision, and the rest of the lot hedging its bets.

First, no Channel 18 doesn't have news on their news program :lol:... funny that 36/the Observer are partners, but 3 is agreeing with the Observer.

My sources tell me that the CLT city council has pitched a novel plan to NASCAR involving combining the HOF with the arts plan to create a combination HOF/African-American Museum along with Bechtler's paintings hanging in the restrooms---so.... top that if you can ATL!!

:P

You know, this sounded silly to me earlier, and while a program like "Picasso while Pissing" definitely seems fitting of Nascar, I'm not so sure I buy that. I definitely want a 'Calvin Pis' fountain in the plaza, though. (Anyone who has been to Brussels will know what I'm talking about)

However, Nascar clearly understands that being in a district with other major attractions nearby is very important. I had never before today thought about it, but it actually makes a lot of sense for Nascar to also demand that the city fund our Arts Master Plan nearby. If Nascar asked for it, you better believe that the General Assembly would quickly pass the $60m - $80m we still need to fully fund the Arts Plan. Too bad Nascar won't ask for them to fully fund our transportation needs!

Well, just as the loss of the Hall would probably mean significantly more support for our Arts Plan, I bet the policitians in Atlanta will feel a little exposed after supporting this so much that they will support the Symphony and other facilities that are being sought.

Hopefully all of the above will be built (although, the you know what you know where).

This just in, in addition to the $169 million incentive, Atlanta will throw in South Fulton County and rename I-285 the Nascar Loop to secure it's selection as the site of the HOF. :rofl:

Last time, a couple of cities were going at each other this hard a bunch of Parisians wept and New Yorkers were pissed off. Then again, that was about the Olympics, so it's not that serious. Good luck Charlotte, I want you to have it.

For the record, one more time: ATLANTA'S BID IS NOT $160M.

It's $102 million, up from $92 million. What the city announced today replaced the combination of private and borrowed financing with public financing, it didn't supplement it.

Here's the AJC on the subject:

"Franklin's new pledge overhauls Atlanta's $92 million NASCAR hall of fame bid, changing it from a mostly privately funded proposal with some public dollars to a $102 million bid backed by the city and state. Most of that money would go toward constructing a hall; $10 million would be used for other costs."

So Charlotte's bid is still larger, by quite a large margin.

This just in, in addition to the $169 million incentive, Atlanta will throw in South Fulton County and rename I-285 the Nascar Loop to secure it's selection as the site of the HOF. :rofl:

:rofl:

All of this may just inspire me to write a book: Municipal Prostitution at its Finest: The Nascar Hall of Fame Story.

Today's Observer is reporting that a high-ranking NASCAR official told them last nite that it's still going to CLT, that ATL's last minute $$$ was "too little, too late":

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/spo...ts/13995800.htm

Another good sign from this article:

"In another sign that plans for a Monday announcement are well under way, Concord-based event planner JHE Production Group talked with NASCAR officials Wednesday about preparations, a source close to the situation said Wednesday."

I'm scared to jinx it with a smiley face :unsure:

I have to think though, even if it is still Charlotte's, whether France will change up the schedule a little. He might really look like a fraud since he has said there won't be a press conference Monday.

I'm back at being confident again, after worrying that ATL could have boosted their bid so much as to delay the process while they reviewed it.

It is really encouraging that they are talking about possibilities of moving or expanding headquarters jobs here, too. It makes a lot of sense, considering it is now a a multi-billion dollar industry, and they might want to make closer relationships with the banks and the Nascar related companies here.

How awesome would it be (this is just a pipe dream), if not only we got the HOF announcement soon, but also the announcment of a new tower to house corporate offices of Nascar and related companies.

PS. This was my 4000th post. I am now a city. :)

Thanks guys.

Had any of you guys seen the plans for the Brooklyn Renaissance "project"? Take it with a huge grain of salt for anyone not familiar, but this is a dream (pipe dream?) of a local lawyer, who believes he can find funding for the rest of Second Ward. But most importantly, he paid a very reputatable urban planning firm to draw out how the district could look. While I firmly believe that he won't get this project off the ground, especially with baseball, it is still very interesting to note what could be done around the Nascar Hall of Fame. It is also interesting that they label a new building "Carolina Motorsports Institute". It would be interesting if that label was based on actual discussions or if it was just a proposal.

106754696_228edf0e0b_o.jpg

The powerpoint for the proposal.

http://www.charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres/eulir.../Jan180621a.ppt

Archived