NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

You know, I remember reading a few years after they built the Guggenheim in Bilbao -- a museum that drew tourists if there ever was one -- how little it had done for Bilbao. It was basically just another employer.

Cooperstown is still a small town. Canton is still a small town. Springfield has been headed downhill for decades. Toronto is doing fine, thanks, but I'm not sure the hockey hall of fame is much of the reason.

I'm not saying this is bad for Charlotte. I think it will be a nice way to spend an afternoon. But I question the idea that it's going to be driver of economic development.

Connaughton has never met a multiplier he didn't like.

The average NASCAR employee in the Charlotte area averages $74,500/year plus benefits. That alone will be a pretty good economic boost.

Somehow I suspect that won't be the average salary for employees of the new museum. Or the Hard Rock Cafe.

Also, if this is just a question of good-paying jobs, we should be providing a JDIG grant -- not building the facility.

The presumption is that this is going to be a tourism magnet, and therefore an economic development engine -- and I don't see it.

I don't think the HOF will be CLT's holy grail; I was and still am resigned to the fact that if we don't get it the city can still grow and prosper and be a great place without it--in my mind it's just another piece of the puzzle--like the African-American museum, the Bechtler Art Museum, the Craft + Design, etc---that will add up to making uptown an even more vibrant and exciting place than it already is--obviously this should give our convention business a boost, since it will give CLT an extra something to offer when trying to sway conventions to come here. Also, just the sheer amount of interest on this forum along with the determination of ATL and Daytona (and previously Richmond and KC) to land this for their respective cities tells me a lot more than any economist's study ever could.....

Oh I doubt seriously anyone ever thought the HOF would be an economic engine:)

I see it as another piece of the puzzle. Different Uptown attractions have entered the scene year after year. The old convention center (just demolished) and Overstreet Mall were perhaps the first modern era attractions. Then came Spirit Square, 4th Ward, Discovery Place. The Uptown library, Founders Hall, Textile Museum. Panthers stadium, the new convention center! Bobcats arena. And now different museums (hopefully) at the new Wachovia project. AND THE HOF!

The HOF could never be an economic engine, just like the Bobcats arena couldn't really be an enonomic engine. But nonetheless, the HOF would be a HUGE prize. Even if it doesn't bring hoards of people in specifically to visit the museum, it will be another piece of the puzzle, to give conventioners another fun thing to do while they're in Charlotte! Another reason for suburban folks to come Uptown....

Surely an HOF museum next door might attract more conventions? :)

After a few more years, Uptown should reach a critical mass of interesting things to do, to satisfy most persuations. This will be but one thing of interest:) Important to land it, to keep that momentum going.

just got off the phone with my buddy who works for nascar. It's a done deal. There will be a meeting at the convention center on monday. He said that he has to be there @9:00 am, but didn't know what time the press conference was going to be held. He said that this is just the first string of events that is going to lead to nascar moving their hq to charlotte. Bill france just bought a house in charlotte....the rumors are confirmed. Daytona will always have a nascar presence with the 500, but it's looking like everything is going to be consolidated in charlotte. This is big news!

Wow. That really is incredible news. Moving their HQ here also probably means there will be more certainty to us keeping the All Star race, as well the other big races. I wonder if we'll get a new midrise or highrise tower out of that, or whether they'll be in the new HOF building.

The city owns a lot of land around the HOF site, so it maybe we'll see some other vacant or semi-vacant land be redeveloped along with the HOF building.

I'll go ahead & say congragulations Charlotte - this should be a good addition to downtown. But regarding Sabates' comments about what is within a few blocks of the proposed HOF site in Atlanta - rather ironic, because that is why I didn't support the Atlanta HOF site because that area he described is my favorite part of Atlanta, it wasn't a good site location fit.

From the NASCAR website on one reason Charlotte should have the HOF...

"...Sabates said Charlotte made more sense, arguing the downtown area is more family oriented with neighborhoods and major (residential) projects.

Think about this,'' Sabates said. "Would you want to go to Atlanta at 8 o'clock at night and walk around by yourself? I told [NASCAR president] Mike Helton one day, 'Do you want to take your wife and kids and walk the streets a few blocks away from the Hall of Fame in Atlanta?' He said, 'Why?' I said, 'Just try it and you'll see.'"

:rofl:

I'm not saying it's "fair" but it sure is funny to see Atlanta get *itch-slapped.

I'm not saying it's "fair" but it sure is funny to see Atlanta get *itch-slapped.

Considering the comment came from one of the leaders of the effort to put the HOF in Charlotte, its probably not that significant. Personally I think it makes Charlotte look bad to stoop to this type of mudslinging. Especially since there are streets in our city where I wouldn't considering walking by myself at night by myself.

Considering the comment came from one of the leaders of the effort to put the HOF in Charlotte, its probably not that significant. Personally I think it makes Charlotte look bad to stoop to this type of mudslinging. Especially since there are streets in our city where I wouldn't considering walking by myself at night by myself.

Charlotte did not stoop to any level. The gentlemen who made the comment did. If it makes anyone look bad, it is him. No one will associate this comment with Charlotte mudslinging, because niether our mayor nor the chamber of commerce made such a statement. He speaks for himself. -_-

Charlotte did not stoop to any level. The gentlemen who made the comment did. If it makes anyone look bad, it is him. No one will associate this comment with Charlotte mudslinging, because niether our mayor nor the chamber of commerce made such a statement. He speaks for himself. -_-

By Charlotte I meant metaphorically the people organizing the Charlotte Bid. He is one of the primary organizers of the Charlotte bid and he was being interviewed due to his role in that bid. I would assume that he speaks for his following team members:

Joining Hendrick as honorary grand marshals are Gov. Mike Easley, U.S. Sens. Richard Burr and Elizabeth Dole, N.C. House Speaker Jim Black, N.C. Senate President Pro-Tem Marc Basnight, Congressman Mel Watt and NASCAR team owner Felix Sabates.

Others involved include Mayor Pat McCrory, Bank of America Corp. executive Cathy Bessant and Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority board Chairman Luther Cochrane.

I don't believe he was being interviewed as a private individual and anyone reading that article will indeed associate him with Charlotte mudslinging.

"By Charlotte I meant metaphorically the people organizing the Charlotte Bid. He is one of the primary organizers of the Charlotte bid and he was being interviewed due to his role in that bid. I would assume that he speaks for his following team members: "

Well if you would like to change the definition of Charlotte from "A city in North Carolina" to that, then I guess by all means you are correct. But I am speaking fo the city of Charlotte, which is not spoken for by this man.

So he was speaking HIS opinion, which is not everyones.

Felix Sabates has a history of being a very smart businessman and he was just doing what he felt would help Charlotte get the hall the most, being a team-owner in Charlotte... and apparently, it helped.

His story is quite fascinating. Check out the wikipedia entry about him. Cuban refugee kid who ends up working his way to the top. He's quite generous, too. I was on the recieving end of a $1300 tip (yes, 1.3 Gs) from him at one of his Christmas parties a few months ago. :)

It appears the real reason the HOF is coming to Charlotte is simply due to the number of local drivers who said they would readily support the HOF in Charlotte, but would not get on a plane to do the same for one in Atlanta. This includes all of the biggies such as Dale Jr.

Apparently there is nothing that NASCAR can do to force them to support the other museums, hence the other cities never stood a chance.

Archived