NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

Hopefully that is just a preliminary design for the tower. It is a little basic and not worthy of being next to an iconic Pei hall of fame building. I originally thought the tower would go in the center of the HOF, but after looking at it more, and hearing the news report that the building will go next to the HOF, the site for the offices will almost certainly be the city owned block across Caldwell from the HOF. That would be the block bounded by Davidson, Caldwell, [1st] and Stonewall, just south of Hilton Garden Inn.

That means today we have likely gotten rid of 3 city blocks of surface parking downtown! :)

Okay, correction from what I wrote earlier. This tower will go at Caldwell and Stonewall on the west side. So it will definitely be on the side of the Hall of Fame.

The city will also sell/give an option to Nascar for the land across the street next to the Garden Inn, so that they can buy or flip it when the area gains value with the Hall of Fame.

There was a rendering displaying in the presentation to City Council, but I'm sure it'll be online tomorrow.

Redjeep opened up a new thread for the tower portion, so I'll add my comments there.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=22763

Channel 18 did not interrupt their paternity tests on Maury, but they are running a congratulations promo for the HOF that says:

"Cheer up Atlanta, you still have your Fishbowl"

LOL, so cruel. If any Channel 18 crew appears in Atlanta they're whale food! :silly:

Well, i personally like the fact that on ESPN they called us Charlotte and not Charlotte, North Carolina. :) That is the first time I think i heard that.

on the down side, there's this from Forbes.com:

http://www.forbes.com/2006/03/06/nascar-mu...facescan16.html

They call us "quaint Charlotte, NC"..."the historic North Carolina city" ...and a "Dixie burg"---first time I heard any of those either!! :lol:

ESPN tends to be more generous with things like that, as they announce the other sports in Charlotte.

As for the design, I was looking a the design for the Stonewall side shown at the city council meeting and it is very different than the original in the bid:

195134440714.jpg

There is now a beige block at street level that extends maybe 2 stories flush with the sidewalk. That continues to the corner of Caldwell and Stonewall, where they now have a tower. Basically, where you see trees above will be solid building. I just hope that it is a little more interesting in the end than it appears on the new rendering. That could be a very big negative for streetscape in that area.

EDIT: Okay, since it was getting hard to describe, here is the rendering they showed to city council.

108944998_ddbf0fb710_o.jpg

Yes, I saw that rendering to on the gov't channel, I think it takes away from the hof design when viewed from that side. I believe they said that it was added late in the process, so it is likely it will be refined somewhat, but I think I'd rather see it go on the land across Caldwell.

I'm very pleased with the operating pro forma. Basically, the Hall will be profitable in the first 10 years, and build up a reserve of maybe $20m to help cover any operating losses in any years.

The first few years will have maybe 800k visitors per year. The final stable will number will be between 500-600k.

Yes, I saw that rendering to on the gov't channel, I think it takes away from the hof design when viewed from that side. I believe they said that it was added late in the process, so it is likely it will be refined somewhat, but I think I'd rather see it go on the land across Caldwell.

Well, considering we are selling Nascar an option for the site across the street, I think the optimists may read between the lines that they'll need the site between Caldwell and Davidson for the rest of their headquarters offices when they eventually move.

Frankly, I always thought the view of the building from the south looked like a steamship, so I'm glad we'll be getting a taller building to blend in.

Ron Kimble definitely said that the tower design is still early, and he also kept using phrases that made it sound like that tower design was just conceptual.

Archived