NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

Well, I turned out to be wrong :). So you'll have to play the music a little softer.

The 3rd block turns out to just be a potential site for development, as Nascar will buy an option on the land at market value when the Hall of Fame is complete. That gives the city some appreciation on the land, and then also gives Nascar a good deal long term.

Well, I turned out to be wrong :). So you'll have to play the music a little softer.

The 3rd block turns out to just be a potential site for development, as Nascar will buy an option on the land at market value when the Hall of Fame is complete. That gives the city some appreciation on the land, and then also gives Nascar a good deal long term.

I guess I will have to live with that lot for a little longer than D. I guess I will make it though, I mean heck we have a millon other projects to keep us pre-occupied.

I think the stagering of all of the projects makes the evolution of our skyline that much more exciing if it comes in pieces.

It is like enjoing a fine wine. You don't want to guzzle it all at once. :alc:

A2

Since SPEED network is here in Charlotte and ESPN's studios that cover much of NASCAR for them is in Ballantyne it would be cool if they both relocated Uptown to this area with new studios and created a sort of media area. Perhaps with TV studios that open onto the street. Sort of MTV timesquareish, only with a NASCAR feel that would look great in the base of a NASCAR tower IMO.

Actually, I believe they mentioned in the city council that Speed Channel might be part of it. I'm not completely sure, but I thought I heard that. It sure makes a lot of sense. Street-viewing studios would be very cool.

on the down side, there's this from Forbes.com:

http://www.forbes.com/2006/03/06/nascar-mu...facescan16.html

They call us "quaint Charlotte, NC"..."the historic North Carolina city" ...and a "Dixie burg"---first time I heard any of those either!! :lol:

What a horrible article -- worth reading at least to understand Charlotte's image in some parts of America. My favorite part is the reference to Coke as a reason the Hall is coming here.

Well, I think a lot of people don't reallize how big this city and how big the Carolinas have gotten in the last decade. The quality of the plans to keep this hall sound financially really put it at next to no risk of failing.

The Forbes article did highlight a funny moment in all this that I didn't even notice myself when I heard the clip of the speech. Gov. Perdue's slip up is a pretty funny quote. No disrespect to him at all.

Atlanta's Fox 5 acted pretentious in Ken Rodriguez's "Snubbed" report of the HOF. He said: "We'll have to wait and see if (sentimentality) is enough to keep the lights on inside Charlotte's Hall". That really made me mad (as a Charlotte native) when I heard it.

Well it was the sports anchor, especially on channel 5 they are always used as comic relief. Really, you didn't take him seriously did you? Most sports casters always act idiotic, especially him.

Racing One posted some photos of the announcement and the renderings.

http://www.racingone.com/slideshow.asp?ssid=898

The accompanying article confirms that HQ will not relocate and that NASCAR is targeting 2009 for the opening.

http://www.racingone.com/article.asp?artnum=26876

On the NACSAR.com HOF FAQ, in response to a direct question about NASCAR jobs moving to Charlotte, NASCAR does not deny HQ will move to Charlotte.

Hmm.. Tim Wickwire, or whatever the hell his name. What a dumbass.

Actually Tim Whitmire wrote the AP story, which was fairly straightforward--Greg Levine (wasn't he Greg Brady on 'The Brady Bunch') is the dumbass who wrote that piece of you-know-what for forbes.com, obviously just rehashing Whitmire's article with some good 'ol down home humor.

I know that the competition was a little stiff......but frankly i am a little dissapointed in the general atlanta reaction. Talk about sore losers! You would think that they thought they were God's gift to the earth! Is this just me, or are other people feeling the same sentiments? This is not only a great economic impact in charlotte, but maybe we'll get some respect. No respect....Mr. Dangerfield couldn't have said it any better.

Archived