NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

I'd say let's not focus on the Atlanta aspect of our winning this. Charlotte would have been the sorest losers of all time if it had gone there. It is a shame they aren't doing the typical sportsman-loss statements like 'formidable opponent' and 'played the better game' and all that but, that's okay. We got the W.

I'd say let's not focus on the Atlanta aspect of our winning this. Charlotte would have been the sorest losers of all time if it had gone there. It is a shame they aren't doing the typical sportsman-loss statements like 'formidable opponent' and 'played the better game' and all that but, that's okay. We got the W.

Actually they already have a W, and are getting another one downtown. ;)

Actually they already have a W, and are getting another one downtown. ;)

Actually, there are two Ws being built. One downtown and one in Buckhead.

I've been reading various online forums to get a sense of the reaction to Charlotte's win. Most people are happy to see Charlotte as the selected site. What shocked me was the attention paid to Felix Sabattes (sp?) comments. Unfortunately, many people have tied his comments to Charlotte.

I'm not sure why people are so upset with his comments. Is it hard for people to accept a truth? Many people wouldn't feel comfortable walk a few blocks south/west of there at night. If this proposal had been for the Hal Marshall site, I would expect someone to say the same thing about Charlotte.

The point is, Felix was trying to win this for Charlotte, and to do so he played off people's fears as a competitive advantage for Charlotte. It probably wasn't a deciding factor, but I think that many possible patrons to the museum would agree with Felix's concerns if they did wander a bit.

Instead of getting pissy like some have at the criticism, people in Atlanta should recognize the concern as valid, and strive to make all parts of their city safe enough to invalidate future criticism.

I'm not sure why people are so upset with his comments. Is it hard for people to accept a truth?

The posts I read were not solely by people in Atlanta. It appears that some people were upset because they felt the comments racist. Maybe because Atlanta is seen by many as a black city? I don't know. I'm only telling you what I read. The fact remains though that while Felix was speaking for himself, people assumed he spoke for Charlotte and Charlotteans. I think a lot of black people in particular took those comments to heart about Charlotte.

However, his comments weren't true. The cime rate at both the proposed Atlanta site and Charlotte's winning site have roughly the same crime rate. It's kind of a myth that Uptown is family friendly. It is to a degree, but the vast majority of Uptown's non-working visitors are young and single. That's pretty true about DT Atlanta, too. Charlotte is family friendly, but not as much so Uptown as in the surrounding neighborhoods.

The posts I read were not solely by people in Atlanta. It appears that some people were upset because they felt the comments racist. Maybe because Atlanta is seen by many as a black city? I don't know. I'm only telling you what I read. The fact remains though that while Felix was speaking for himself, people assumed he spoke for Charlotte and Charlotteans. I think a lot of black people in particular took those comments to heart about Charlotte.

However, his comments weren't true. The cime rate at both the proposed Atlanta site and Charlotte's winning site have roughly the same crime rate. It's kind of a myth that Uptown is family friendly. It is to a degree, but the vast majority of Uptown's non-working visitors are young and single. That's pretty true about DT Atlanta, too. Charlotte is family friendly, but not as much so Uptown as in the surrounding neighborhoods.

Citing racism was pretty inevitable on that one. Favorite tactic for people with no real argument, because rebuttal of such an argument is almost impossible without immediate counteraccusations that the person rebutting is a racist. It's a shame, really, since overuse dilutes the effecitiveness of more facts based claims of discrimination. I guess it is easier to claim someone's misconception about your hometown is due to them being racist, than admitting you've got a serious PR problem.

I've been reading various online forums to get a sense of the reaction to Charlotte's win. Most people are happy to see Charlotte as the selected site. What shocked me was the attention paid to Felix Sabattes (sp?) comments. Unfortunately, many people have tied his comments to Charlotte.

Indeed. I said this yesterday. It was a pretty low blow and makes the city look bad.

Does anyone know who Nascar has existing retail and restaurant relationships with? In the presentation to council last night, it was said that their existing retail and restaurant partners would have the first right to come in and be the exclusive vendors in the HOF, and also for catering events associated with the HOF in the new ballroom.

I'd say let's not focus on the Atlanta aspect of our winning this. Charlotte would have been the sorest losers of all time if it had gone there. It is a shame they aren't doing the typical sportsman-loss statements like 'formidable opponent' and 'played the better game' and all that but, that's okay. 'We got the W.'

Yes, getting the W is sports slang for winning the game, being consistent with the rest of my post about sportsmanlike phrases. :)

I didn't think about the W hotel chain or I'd have chosen a less confusing phrase.

Sorry guys. :)

Yes, getting the W is sports slang for winning the game, being consistent with the rest of my post about sportsmanlike phrases. :)

I didn't think about the W hotel chain or I'd have chosen a less confusing phrase.

Sorry guys. :)

I think I confused the issue by jokingly challenging your statement.

Does anyone know who Nascar has existing retail and restaurant relationships with? In the presentation to council last night, it was said that their existing retail and restaurant partners would have the first right to come in and be the exclusive vendors in the HOF, and also for catering events associated with the HOF in the new ballroom.

The list I know of includes Compass, Target, Golden Corral, Lonestar Steakhouse, Hooters, Food City, Subway, Aaron's, and Save-Mart. There could be others depending on how NASCAR defines retail/restaurant (Budweiser has its name on an airport bar and grill) and how they define partners (drivers have marketing deals outside of car and race sponsorships). Also, there are relationships at the lower divisions of NASCAR that I have no clue about.

NASCAR fans will be thrilled because they love to reward the companies that support NASCAR. The other plus is that most of these places are affordable for most people, especially families. One downside to tourist/sports venues is the price gouging on food. I'd be disappointed if the sponsors tried that.

Haha Fox 18 is at it again. About every 15 minutes they are broadcasting the following announcement:

(This is to the sound of the 20th Century Fox music)

"Athens has its Parthenon, London has its Big Ben, Now Charlotte has its HOF!, ...... Cheer Up Atlanta you still have your World Famous Smog"

"Athens has its Parthenon, London has its Big Ben, Now Charlotte has its HOF!, ...... Cheer Up Atlanta you still have your World Famous Smog"

Considering Charlotte ranks near or in some cases higher than Atlanta for 'smog', that is pretty freaking ironic. But it is channel 18...

Now if they REALLY wanted to rub it in, how about this:

Don't worry Atlanta, you still have Scientific Atlanta, ok then Georgia Pacific, then Bell South? Well you at least have Delta & Suntrust... for now at least.

Archived