NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

These news stations are a trip. Atlanta is still going to bring in more tourist revenue with its attractions; don't make it appear as though Charlotte is getting too big for its britches because of this one win.

Charlottes not getting cocky or anything, its just all in good fun :)

This is it, baby! I'm calling it. This is the final piece of the puzzle to make Charlotte a legitimate 3-5 day tourist destination. I say we go all out and do something like the hotel in vegas that has a drop-zone-like ride on its roof. Let's face it, uptown still has that banker, staid stigma attached to it. It's time to grab the bull by the horns, throw up some neon signs, and show the rest of the U.S. of A. how we do it over here in Charlotte!!

Considering Charlotte ranks near or in some cases higher than Atlanta for 'smog', that is pretty freaking ironic. But it is channel 18...

Now if they REALLY wanted to rub it in, how about this:

Don't worry Atlanta, you still have Scientific Atlanta, ok then Georgia Pacific, then Bell South? Well you at least have Delta & Suntrust... for now at least.

Teshadoh, A2 here, missed your informative posts while I was temporarily out.

I read in a recent Banking Publication that WellsFargo is seeking out an East Coast suitor to merge with or purchace, and guess who is in their coss hairs.?

Suntrust.....YIKES !!!

I still think Atlanta would gain a regional HQ out of it for the new bank IF this happens. Very similar to the Bank of America and Nations Bank merger that happened may years back. BofA is HQed in Charlotte, but has a Regional HQ still in San Fran.

What is nerve racking about the whole thing is that Wachovia is also looking to go west. Many have long seculated that WB and WF would be the perfect marriage, and in all reality it makes sense. It would make it the same size as CITI and BofA, but from the viewpoint of control, WB is unwilling to budge. (shareholders ultimately have the last word of course)

Suntrust with its great balance sheet and massive SE deposits is now looking like the prime target of a strategic aquisition.

A2

This is it, baby! I'm calling it. This is the final piece of the puzzle to make Charlotte a legitimate 3-5 day tourist destination. I say we go all out and do something like the hotel in vegas that has a drop-zone-like ride on its roof. Let's face it, uptown still has that banker, staid stigma attached to it. It's time to grab the bull by the horns, throw up some neon signs, and show the rest of the U.S. of A. how we do it over here in Charlotte!!

Amen to that poplife88 !!!

A2

They should build some kind of extreme NASCAR styled roller coaster and incorporate it into the Hall of Fame...(kinda like the roller coaster at the NY, NY hotel in Las Vegas)...They could start it at the top of the tower and have it drop right into the Hall of Fame...man the things you can think at night :lol:

According to this article there are a lot of sour grapes in Atlanta (yes a lot of people did want it there) because amazingly it was Atlanta's idea in the first place. Apparently Atlanta officials pitched the idea to NASCAR 2 years ago as part of a plan to make it a major attraction of their downtown tourism district. What they didn't expect was that NASCAR would bid it out to several cities and the rest is history.

Even while NASCAR was hammering out the contract last week in Ballentyne, they were still telling ATL they had a shot at it. That's got to hurt.

Wow, this thing is HEATED! Even the AJC took a low blow:

"Felix, enjoy walking around downtown Charlotte. You should feel safe. You'll be the only one there. The NASCAR hall of fame instantly becomes Charlotte's top tourist attraction. The elevator in the Wachovia building drops into second. Why Charlotte? NASCAR says it wanted to go back to its roots. But in truth, the sport's roots are not in Charlotte but Wilkes County, the former moonshine capital of the world. You want roots? Stick the hall between the pines, just over the hill from Ol' Roy's still, that is when Roy isn't playing sheriff. And judge. And mayor." -- Atlanta Journal-Constitution columnist Jeff Schultz

Kids, kids, kids! Didn't I tell you to play fair?

NASCAR officials ought to be ashamed of themselves. But they're not.

It's interesting that it was considered Atlanta's idea. Charlotte had plans for a Motorsports Museum much longer than 2 years ago. But I guess people here didn't think 'exclusive' like a Hall of Fame, and must not have pitched it to Nascar in a big way.

That's funny, I really big "hick" town taking shots at a big "hick" town.....that's the way the northerners translate it.

Population wide, Atlanta is 30 years ahead of Charlotte (including culture and all the other aspects of the NEW ATLANTA)...let's see Atlanta 1976....

There was NO Aquarium, no CNN (maybe headline news on local TV in the morning), No Congress Center, No Phillips Arena, No Centennial Park, etc. My uncle (retired Air Force), told me when he stopped through Atlanta in the 1970's on several occassion how unimpressed he was at that time (baseball, basketball and football teams were extremely terrible). Again, this is coming from the side of NC (RDU and eastern NC) where the Northeastern Corrider (DC, etc.) was our destination for those amenities.

Atlanta has come a long ways in 30 years and will continue to prosper. Charlotte is right where they need to be in terms of development.

I don't think people realize how big an impact the new Whitewater facility and the NASCAR Hall of Fame will have on tourism in the Charlotte area. Atlanta knows the NHOF was a huge loss and hard hit on the ego. I keep hearing comments like a "redneck" shrine - browsing around all day looking at pictures of Richard Petty and Junior Johnson. But, this thing is going to be a high tech marvel.....interactive racing, etc...it's going to attract much more than "rednecks".....Atlanta knew it. As an engineer, I don't think some people in Charlotte and the state of NC truly understand the MAGNITUDE.

We need help in RDU with a big time attraction.....somethings coming...I can feel it.

That's funny, I really big "hick" town taking shots at a big "hick" town.....that's the way the northerners translate it.

Probably, until they pack their bags and move here.

I could name a dozen cities in the North that are larger than Charlotte that are not doing so well that would love to get a facility such as this.

Population wide, Atlanta is 30 years ahead of Charlotte (including culture and all the other aspects of the NEW ATLANTA)...let's see Atlanta 1976....

There was NO Aquarium, no CNN (maybe headline news on local TV in the morning), No Congress Center, No Phillips Arena, No Centennial Park, etc. My uncle (retired Air Force), told me when he stopped through Atlanta in the 1970's on several occassion how unimpressed he was at that time (baseball, basketball and football teams were extremely terrible). Again, this is coming from the side of NC (RDU and eastern NC) where the Northeastern Corrider (DC, etc.) was our destination for those amenities.

Atlanta has come a long ways in 30 years and will continue to prosper. Charlotte is right where they need to be in terms of development.

I don't think people realize how big an impact the new Whitewater facility and the NASCAR Hall of Fame will have on tourism in the Charlotte area. Atlanta knows the NHOF was a huge loss and hard hit on the ego. I keep hearing comments like a "redneck" shrine - browsing around all day looking at pictures of Richard Petty and Junior Johnson. But, this thing is going to be a high tech marvel.....interactive racing, etc...it's going to attract much more than "rednecks".....Atlanta knew it. As an engineer, I don't think some people in Charlotte and the state of NC truly understand the MAGNITUDE.

We need help in RDU with a big time attraction.....somethings coming...I can feel it.

RDU already has a big time attraction and that's its future as THE major technology hub of the South. As a patent attorney I see all of the high-risk capital that is thrown around up there and it is astonishing. It exceeds any other Southeastern city by a multiple of (conservatively) 10X. Keeps making me think I should move up there, but the lack of an urban core jumps into my mind each time I consider it.

There was NO Aquarium, no CNN (maybe headline news on local TV in the morning), No Congress Center, No Phillips Arena, No Centennial Park, etc.

Don't forget about The World of Sid and Marty Krofft (from Land of Lost, Lidsville, Bugaloos fame), which opened in 1976. THAT was a big deal at the time. It was the world's first indoor amusement park, located in the Omni International complex in downtown Atlanta. Unfortunately it was closed in 1977 after just 6 months. The space the amusement park occupied is now used for CNN's Atlanta operations.

Don't forget about The World of Sid and Marty Krofft (from Land of Lost, Lidsville, Bugaloos fame), which opened in 1976. THAT was a big deal at the time. It was the world's first indoor amusement park, located in the Omni International complex in downtown Atlanta. Unfortunately it was closed in 1977 after just 6 months. The space the amusement park occupied is now used for CNN's Atlanta operations.

Does anyone know what kind of halluncinogins Sid and Marty were using the 70s?

RDU already has a big time attraction and that's its future as THE major technology hub of the South. As a patent attorney I see all of the high-risk capital that is thrown around up there and it is astonishing. It exceeds any other Southeastern city by a multiple of (conservatively) 10X. Keeps making me think I should move up there, but the lack of an urban core jumps into my mind each time I consider it.

You should check out Durham. It gets a bad rap but a lot of folks are jumping in now as a future investment. Its re-development is being geared towards the creative class/tech culture. The Triangle Biotech Center will have space available for patent attorneys as will the West Village II project-both of which are close to the American Tobacco District.

According to this article there are a lot of sour grapes in Atlanta (yes a lot of people did want it there)

People are upset over Felix Sabates comments. People in the city did not support the NASCAR HOF. Shirley Franklin took a bit of heat over the issue and even more heat after she added more money to the bid. There was no overwhelming support for the bid. If you read recent AJC blogs, you'll see people complaining about Sabates and what he said about Atlanta.

I've said this before, but Atlanta has never considered itself Charlotte's rival. Atlanta tries to rival Chicago. Everything is a competition with Chicago, from the airport to that aquarium. If Atlanta can steal away a title from Chicago, they're all over it. Most Atlantans actually refer to Charlotte as its sister city or cousin. Charlotte is considered family there. Take the AJC for example. They've run several stories about travel in Charlotte or what's great about the city. They're also probably the only major U.S. newspaper that refers to Charlotte as "Charlotte" not "Charlotte, NC".

Again, what stung was not losing the HOF. It was Felix Sabates characterization of DT Atlanta. DT Atlanta has 15 million visitors per year and 30,000 reisdents. It's not a war zone or anything.

ETA: Durhamite, Atlanta was a "hot spot" 40 and 50 years ago. Many people from around the SE and even the country would go there to see bands and singers. There was even a Playboy Club at one point. Even I can remember seeing bands that never played anywhere else in the SE. Atlanta was a bustling city in the early half of the last century, especially after WWII. There are a ton of books about Atlanta's growth and rise to prominence in the SE. I'd also recommend pulling Andrea's ear. She is UP's resisdent Atlanta historian. She knows everything!!!!

CBV,

Yes, I'm sure Atlanta was a bustling area in the the 40's and 50's (and is today), but I was refering to the 70's when surburbia America was in 3rd gear that saw many downtowns lose prominence as the city's primary retail & entertainment destination (especially in the South). Based only on my uncle's observation (he was expecting more in the mid-70's.....basically comparing downtown Atlanta to DC, Philly, etc.). My point was Atlanta has recovered quite well and Charlotte is where Atlanta was relevant to metro size and development. Atlanta has always been the center of prominence in the south in terms of diversity, culture and growth.

I've been downtown Atlanta (had a ball) and never had a problem day or night (for what is worth, parts of Durham, even in the daytime will keep you on your P's & Q's).

I think Felix Sebates comments were unwarranted as Charlotte had this in the bag from day one in my opinion (NASCAR was soliciting bids to milk Charlotte and the state of NC.....I posted those comments in May or June of last year). He owes the city of Atlanta an apology as I know many in leadership there are working overtime to rid that false perception of their great city......every CITY has tough areas...

BTW, Atlanta does not consider Charlotte a rival as I'm sure Chicago does not consider Atlanta a rival.

OK tooting my HORN....but this is what I posted back on October 15th

"This entire NASCAR Hall of Fame game is Charlotte's & NC's fault. By my recollection, the

developer of Beale Street (John Elkington) in the 1980's wanted to replicate that success to other southern cities using a regional theme to support an entertainment area (Charlotte, of course to be NASCAR based).

I don't know what happened to that idea (developer was quite shady....someone else probably knows more on this subject matter), but Charlotte & NC leaders should have created an area in uptown that was NASCAR themed with the Hall of Fame as a punctuation mark. Of course the image of NASCAR has changed somewhat and maybe some of the local/state leaders were reluctant at that time due to the "redneck" image of the sport.

You have to chalk it up to the France family on business strategy. They've got cities/states throwing everything but the kitchen sink their way (especially NC).

Ideally, there should have only been two cities considered (although Atlanta approached first), Daytona and Charlotte. This crap about KC being in the middle of America is all hogwash. People interested in the sport will travel wherever (it's the American way). Think about the other Hall of Fame locations...

Although, the France family has ties with KC/Interstate/Sprint...blah..blah....blah, the money and support they'll get from NC is unmatched.

Put a ribbon on it, I think they got the package they wanted from Charlotte and NC. Just look for the All Star Race to rotate with Charlotte being the stop every 3rd or 4th year for Hall of Fame inductees.

Charlotte and my truly beloved backwards thinking state (lottery for example) will pay a heavy price for having a corn cob in the @ss."

The billionaire list was released by Forbes and there are 2 from the Charlotte region. Could we please have one of them step up to the plate and donate 250 million dollars like the guy from Home Depot in Atlanta and build us something like their aquarium. Discovery Place is nice if your 4 years old, but it desperately needs to be updated or replaced by something more world-class. A guy can dream, right?

The billionaire list was released by Forbes and there are 2 from the Charlotte region. Could we please have one of them step up to the plate and donate 250 million dollars like the guy from Home Depot in Atlanta and build us something like their aquarium. Discovery Place is nice if your 4 years old, but it desperately needs to be updated or replaced by something more world-class. A guy can dream, right?

Spangler is one of those and he is tight as a drum. When he was President of the UNC system he would eat taco salads at the UNC's student cafeteria. The other Bruton Smith strikes me as not the most civic minded guy in the world.

Spangler is one of those and he is tight as a drum. When he was President of the UNC system he would eat taco salads at the UNC's student cafeteria. The other Bruton Smith strikes me as not the most civic minded guy in the world.

Spangler may be frugal in his personal life, but he is quite a significant philanthopist. His name is all over the Charlotte area. I agree that Smith has less of a record in these respects; on the other hand, he just helped bring us the NASCAR hall...

Archived