NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

Why did they get rid of the "cut-outs" in the silver swoop? That simple element added a lot to the overall design. I don't always agree with metro on a lot of issues, but I tend to think he's right on this one. That bigger tower really overpowers the delicate intricacy of the museum itself. And the smaller, less dramatic swoop looks almost like an afterthought in the latest rendering.

Yeah I think they should put those cutouts back too :shades:

Even though the heart is there on the 2nd Street entrance, it really does look like it has been cut back dramatically along Brevard. That is terrible news, considering how important the city is trying to make Brevard in the new city landscape. The design already kills when it comes to having a dead wall, and fake windows don't count for anything. But then the skybridge has actually been DOUBLE-DECKED! They are digging to build an 840 space parking deck UNDER GROUND, yet somehow they can't make a tunnel under Brevard? What gives?

The skybridge kills the chances for a Tryon-like feeling on Brevard, and it hurts the prospects to get people on the street. If people can cross the busy College Street with a dedicated crosswalk/light, why can't they cross a newly shrunk Brevard with a fraction of the cars in the future state? Why can't they cut out all that expense and put that money to other things? Why do our own visitors bureau not realize that it isn't that cold or rainy in this city that people can't walk across a street? They could even cut out the rain condition with a roof, but let those people still be on the streets.

Terrible.

With that model, it really does look like they've reduced the design to a big-box with the only architectural interest being at the "front" entrance of the building. That is great. Good job, Yvonne Szeto. You've managed to come here from on high and succumbed the the backward thinking of the local bumpkins. So much for getting a world class architect to actually bring world class architecture to Charlotte. I mean, fine, don't give us a fancy crumpled metal mass, but just a little metal band. But, um, can we please just get a building covering 2 blocks of our urban center that isn't just a blank wall on 2/3s? Thanks.

With that model, it really does look like they've reduced the design to a big-box with the only architectural interest being at the "front" entrance of the building. That is great. Good job, Yvonne Szeto. You've managed to come here from on high and succumbed the the backward thinking of the local bumpkins. So much for getting a world class architect to actually bring world class architecture to Charlotte. I mean, fine, don't give us a fancy crumpled metal mass, but just a little metal band. But, um, can we please just get a building covering 2 blocks of our urban center that isn't just a blank wall on 2/3s? Thanks.

I think that your criticism of Yvonne Szeto is misplaced. Architects usually tweak their designs based on the desires or budget restrictions of there clients, in this case the city of Charlotte.

Uptown living has misrepresented the questions of Susan Burgess about the NASCAR museum. Her questions and comments were: the office building looks like the Adams Mark. Could it have a roof feature? A crown was never mentioned. The hall that displays the Hall of Fame drivers should not be called the "sanctuary," a name used by the architect. Could the small theatre be used for community events? The proposal for baseball transfers the City's ownership of Spirit Square to the County. Spirit Square would remain, but the rear of the building, including the 250 seat McGlohan Theatre would be demolished. The McGlohan is used for ensemble, or intimate, theatre productions. Urban Living's account is inaccurate on all three counts.

Thanks for clearing that up, but I am still confused about her comments on the McGlohan Theatre which is the 700 seat venue in the historical part of Spirit Square which no one has talked about tearing down. I guess she is talking about the Duke Power theatre, however the plans that I have seen from the county state that the developer would be required to keep the same amount of arts space, including the theatre in any replacement building.

Uptown living has misrepresented the questions of Susan Burgess about the NASCAR museum. Her questions and comments were: the office building looks like the Adams Mark. .......

Haha, the Adam's Mark? Well it's not so funny. I think it is a big underhanded to show a nice fancy unique building at the time public money is being asked for, then when they get it, turn around and produce a building that looks like the marriage of a suburban movie theatre and the adams mark tower.

Welcome to the forum legislator. Thanks for clearing up the "confusion". :whistling:

Thankyou for posting the scan.

All of a sudden the museum looks like an AMC Movie Theatre at a suburban mall with a cerial box tower stuck on top of it. Its a good bit different, and I would not be surprised if we don't see either cinderblocks or EFIS as the final coating.

:rofl:

Although I am ok with the project, I just started to die laughing at your post metro. I am playing catch up from being out of the loop (pun intended) for the last two days so forgive me from resurecting the cereal box on top of an AMC movie theatre qoute. It is somewhat true and absolutely hillarious! :lol:

A2

Personally I like the office building. It is simple in architectural style on purpose, so as not to distract attention away from the Hall of Fame, which is supposed to be the "showpiece."

The glass curtain on the office building is subtly curved and then angled on the ends. The other side of the office building not visible in these renderings is a mirror image.

It is a simple and clean design, one that I like.

I dont mind the office tower either. What is dissapointing is the "band" in this one. It doesn't seem to be as flashy and prominent as it was in the original rendering. The cutouts helped, maybe even the color. This darker gray looks dull. And the smaller building to the right detracts from it.

I do love the glass and what looks like metalic trim accross the top of it.

I dont mind the office tower either. What is dissapointing is the "band" in this one. It doesn't seem to be as flashy and prominent as it was in the original rendering. The cutouts helped, maybe even the color. This darker gray looks dull. And the smaller building to the right detracts from it.

I do love the glass and what looks like metalic trim accross the top of it.

I had the same impression when I pulled open those pictures, I just no longer get that initial "wow" factor like with the old renderings. But, I guess like all things, the concept normally is better than the outcome.

Looks like an office building. Nothing like a museum.

I'm sure that they will somehow find a way to make it more presentable on the outside like CocaCola did for their original museum in Atlanta, outside of the giant coke bottle, the museum itself didn't stand out to me; however, the level of "touristy" things they put outside is what really dressed it up from a street level prespective.

its starting to look more and more like an addition to the convention center with a ribbon on the front. The trucks and sidewalk tables have been added to make it appear more exciting. compared to some of the decent architecture proposed for the wachovia cultural projects this one seems same old same old conservative Charlotte.

I guess this is symbolic of Nascar. Everything is exciting and moving fast, and then it takes a sharp left turn and crashes and burns.

I agree that the Wachovia arts projects will bring much more architectural interest than this museum, despite getting a major architect for the purpose of bringing us world class architecture.

The later images posted by uptownliving look much better to me than the smaller images posted earlier. But there are still many disappointments about the design. It is more of the same, with just a small twist here and there (the pun was unintentional).

Archived