NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

Don't have much info on this yet, but at the City Council meeting last night they did a mid-year budget review and listed the Brevard/Caldwell/277 Reconfig as a "red light" project. That means it is over budget and is being reworked. You will remember that this street reconfiguration was part of the funding for the NASCAR HoF with the State and City reconfiguring the interchange and selling off property for development.

Stay tuned in the coming weeks for more details on this. It is not a show stopper, but expect to see some changes in this project.

I would guess it is not a part of the "Brevard/Caldwell/277 Reconfig", but is it at some point in the plan to rip out the cloverleaf here and put in much less invasive trumpet style ramps to 277 and therefore reclaim several city blocks?

For all the times that I have mentioned that that part was funded, it was apparently some sort of trick of wording during the budgeting phase. Apparently, the streetscape improvements are not funded.

Nothing new there. The city did the same thing with the Arena, Convention Center, the Wachovia deal, and the proposed Baseball stadium. i.e. Shell games with money that is supposed to be used for one thing and turns out to be give aways to the corporations and private individuals.

I would guess it is not a part of the "Brevard/Caldwell/277 Reconfig", but is it at some point in the plan to rip out the cloverleaf here and put in much less invasive trumpet style ramps to 277 and therefore reclaim several city blocks?

Ripping out the clover leaf interchange and putting in the trupmet style is all part of the Brevard/Caldwell/277 Reconfig.

Ripping out the clover leaf interchange and putting in the trupmet style is all part of the Brevard/Caldwell/277 Reconfig.

That's awesome, I would have thought that to be too expensive and get shelved for other projects. You mentioned that the Reconfig is over budget and is being reworked - this is not to be one of those items? Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, I do not remember reading about it.

We have heard about this before here. The Waltrip World of Racing is moving ahead with construction up at the Lake. From what I could see it is going to be larger than the HOF minus the tower. Interestingly enough the SPEED Channel has a big sign up there now saying they will be broadcasting from there live on Monday nights. It does make one wonder that if one comes to Charlotte will they go to both this place and the HOF or just one of them.

Well, the spontaneous side of me came out today and I attended the ground breaking ceremony of the NHOF. There was a pretty good turnout so I had to stand and I couldn't really see the stage. They introduced alot of the old Nascar drivers and owners like Junior Johnson, Jack Roush, Darrell Waltrip, and Ned Jarrett to name a few. McCrory talked and said his famous,"Nashville has country music, Hollywood has movie stars, and Charlotte has Nascar stars," speech. It was a pretty good ceremony and I am happy that the Nascar Hall of Fame is in Charlotte. :yahoo:

eastsider, thanks for posting that rendering...

MC, all the renderings they had at the groundbreaking only showed 1 over-head connector. I will have to investigate more, but I'm thinking that Turner rendering is outdated or incorrect.

Yes, every other rendering I have seen only shows one. Maybe they haven't decided the final location and the Turner rendering shows the placement of a possible "plan B"? Not sure, but it would be interesting to find out.

We have heard about this before here. The Waltrip World of Racing is moving ahead with construction up at the Lake. From what I could see it is going to be larger than the HOF minus the tower. Interestingly enough the SPEED Channel has a big sign up there now saying they will be broadcasting from there live on Monday nights. It does make one wonder that if one comes to Charlotte will they go to both this place and the HOF or just one of them.

I don't think that this race shop will draw away from the hof more than any other race shop would. The size of this particular shop doesn't matter as it is equal to or smaller than many other race shops. Even though it is supposed to be more ineractive than the other shops, I would think that, like the other shops, only a small percentage of the space will be accessable to the public.

Also, not a big deal about the SPEED Channel broadcasting from there. There studios at the hof will not be open until three years from now.

• 1 month later...

Do they still expect to have that much money coming back from land sales for land freed up by the redesign, or did the city decide to fund it through the CIP in order to keep that land. Or was that money given to the HOF and they had to actually come up with cash to do the construction work?

I'm definitely glad they are doing this. The designer/engineer that put land-consuming loops on all the interchanges of Belk Freeway should be shot. He's probably sitting in Albemarle somewhere clueless that those things have really become a significant liability to the city.

Do they still expect to have that much money coming back from land sales for land freed up by the redesign, or did the city decide to fund it through the CIP in order to keep that land. Or was that money given to the HOF and they had to actually come up with cash to do the construction work?

Here are the funding sources for the $21M project:

$10M from the CIP (Capital Improvement Plan)

$5M from NCDOT

$6M from Municipal Debt Service Fund

The proceeds from the sale of the land will fund a $20 million non recourse loan with simple interest at 4% for the Hall of Fame construction. Remaining land sale proceeds after loan and interest is repaid will reimburse the City and State for roadway construction costs at the proportion each contributed.

Yes. The intent of the whole reconfiguration is to free up land and improve pedestrian infrastructure across 277/Belk. The high speed ramps will be converted to perpendicular intersections, to allow for cars to stop for pedestrians, and to decrease the crossing distance. There is plenty of room for sidewalks, so those will definitely be done.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anone know why work has abruptly stopped on the site??? I have seen no activity in two weeks and counting. I know that they have had the area fenced off for about a month, and demolished what needed be town down. But ever since the groundbreaking there has been NO activity, plus there is no Heavy equipment on site which used to be there just a few days ago.

Are news????

A2

Maybe the decided 'gee, if we just dig down ten more feet, we can open up enough street retail space to fit a Walmart." I assume, however, it is just the normal calm that happens at random times when projects are starting construction.

Does anone know why work has abruptly stopped on the site??? I have seen no activity in two weeks and counting. I know that they have had the area fenced off for about a month, and demolished what needed be town down. But ever since the groundbreaking there has been NO activity, plus there is no Heavy equipment on site which used to be there just a few days ago.

Are news????

A2

Pretty sure the groundbreaking was held in Jan. to take advantage of the national media that was in town for the media tour of the race shops and not as part of the actual construction timetable.

• 1 month later...

Archived