NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

You are free to copyright any work of yours simply by following simple rules. On printed material putting a copyright statement on the work is sufficient. Registering the copyright is optional and does not affect the validity of the copyright. However the registration does give you one important advantage. If someone steals your work and if your work is registered, then the alleged thief has to prove in court they did not steal your work. If however it is not registered, then you have to prove they did steal the work. As significant difference in who bears the burden of proof.

If you write software it should be noted that only the source code can be copyrighted. Object code cannot.

A license is merely an agreement between you and another party where you agree they can use your work. You of course have to own or protect your work either by copyright or patent.

I just want to say that as an architecture student I am stoked at the possibility of Charlotte getting an IM Pei structrure. I don't know if many people know this but he was one of the architects that was originally considered to design the BofA corporate headquarters. IM Pei is a huge boost for our bid and I am sure he is an expensive boost. You know what they say... His name is IM Pei not IM Cheap.

That's my fault.

"TheBrad Abides" does that perhaps refer to the book The Earth Abides?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope, it's a rather lame attempt at being funny but I've kind of stuck with it - reference to 'The Big Lebowski'.

edit- I realized another reason, because I'm known as 'TheBrad' (yes, a rather lame user name) on other boards.

So, Le Calvin Pis is out.

what else do you think this could look like? (funny or serious).

Seriously, i hope that really good materials are used for this, like attractive brick, glass, metal, stone, limestone, solar panels, etc. i don't want any 70s geometric shapes made out of concrete, because it just looks so old and mildewy and cracked after 15 years.

Also, i know the crumpled and flowing metal designs are all in vogue lately with museums, etc. i wouldn't complain if it does follow that style, but i don't want charlotte's signature project by im pei to anything less than unique and inspiring.

I.M. Pei is alive and well and I'm sure his worker bees will come up with something better than we normally get here.

His work looks nothing like Frank Gehry's. Mr. Gehry is famous his sculptural buildings (Bilbao, Seattle, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Prague and Boston).

I would like to see Zaha Hadid get the job. Love her Contemporary Art Museum in Cincy.cincinnati3.jpg

So, Le Calvin Pis is out.

what else do you think this could look like? (funny or serious).

Seriously, i hope that really good materials are used for this, like attractive brick, glass, metal, stone, limestone, solar panels, etc.  i don't want any 70s geometric shapes made out of concrete, because it just looks so old and mildewy and cracked after 15 years. 

Also, i know the crumpled and flowing metal designs are all in vogue lately with museums, etc.  i wouldn't complain if it does follow that style, but i don't want charlotte's signature project by im pei to anything less than unique and inspiring.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like this concept. It's a house made out of cars. Perhaps this can be done to a larger scale, and pretty it up with some glass and stucco touches?

44_car_house.jpg

City plans financial part of NASCAR bid

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Now that the city of Charlotte has pinpointed a preferred site for a NASCAR hall of fame, it is trying to piece together a financial package.

Luther Cochrane, the chairman of the Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority, said the museum would cost between $50 million and $100 million, depending on the building

Talking about the intangibles about Charlotte and NASCAR...how many movies have mentioned Charlotte and NASCAR together?

There is the obvious Days of Thunder with Tom Cruise...

but there is also the not so obvious ones:

Guess Who with Bernie Mac and Ashton Kucher... Asthon plays a character where he mentions he lived in Charlotte and worked on Jeff Gordon's NASCAR team.

Speedway Junkie with Jonathan Taylor Thomas...in this movie a character repeatedly talks about moving to Charlotte to work on a NASCAR team.

Can anyone think of any others?

I clicked through the pictures of IM Pei's previous works and was thoroughly unimpressed.... with the exception of the BofC tower (that one was pretty cool). His work comes across a bit too dated (in the 60s and 70s like dubone mentioned). That IBM complex looked like a piece of crap in my opinion.

My suggestion, hire the firm who designed the Charlotte Westin.

To be fair, the reason that Pei's work looked '60s and '70s is that he designed a lot of buildings back then. Like most architects of the time, he was a little trendy. But he's also the guy who designed the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, and that is not dated at all.

Pei while a name brand architect, would seem to have problems designing buildings that are good public places. They look impressive from a distance or from an airplane, but at street level they are very people unfriendly, rarely integrate with the surrounding neighborhood, and end up driving people away from the area. The BofA tower is another good example of this problem.

I wish the organizers would focus less on celebrity architects and instead focus on something that would actually be a good design as a public space. This is something that is a rarity in downtown Charlotte.

Pei while a name brand architect, would seem to have problems designing buildings that are good public places.  They look impressive from a distance or from an airplane, but at street level they are very people unfriendly, rarely integrate with the surrounding neighborhood, and end up driving people away from the area.  The BofA tower is another good example of this problem. 

I wish the organizers would focus less on celebrity architects and instead focus on something that would actually be a good design as a public space.  This is something that is a rarity in downtown Charlotte.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's something to worry about after we win the HOF bid. The name recognition helps to convey our seriousness and catch the attention of those making the choice.

Not all buildings can or should have retail space plopped around them (IMO). Imagine Gehry's Bilbao Guggeheim with a Gap or Pottery Barn at the entrance. Pei has done some fine work with public spaces. The Louvre, Christian Science HQ in Boston, National Gallery in Washington.

With the Convention Center and two ugly hotels adjacent to the site, I have no thoughts about how this will integrate into the neighborhood. It's already dead. I sort of think anything would be an improvement if it adds people.

Pei while a name brand architect, would seem to have problems designing buildings that are good public places.  They look impressive from a distance or from an airplane, but at street level they are very people unfriendly, rarely integrate with the surrounding neighborhood, and end up driving people away from the area.  The BofA tower is another good example of this problem. 

I wish the organizers would focus less on celebrity architects and instead focus on something that would actually be a good design as a public space.  This is something that is a rarity in downtown Charlotte.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could you give us an example of a muesem or hall of fame that you think is people friendly and well intergrated into the surrounding neighborhood?

Archived