NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

yeah, but what are they doing with the little auger drilling a grid pattern of holes? Is that just to determine bedrock depth? or are they for some kind of piers?

yeah i noticed that too, starting last week...but they're moving an awful lot of dirt to continue probing.

A guy dies, and you people are discussing whether or not this means a corporate relocation will occur? Tacky!!!

The France family has my humblest sympathies but the whole point of this and all the other threads is to speculate, promote, and pass on information about developments. Changes in family run businesses can massively affect the direction that the company travels so I believe that this is very appropriate for this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the NASCAR HoF from today's City Council meeting:

-Brevard St retail is now in the picture....kinda. They are going to design that level of the parking deck to be able to be converted to retail spaces along Brevard St in the future when market conditions warrant. The conversion to retail would remove about 50 parking spaces. Until then they will have window storefronts on the outside filled up with NASCAR images.

-The twisty stainless steel band is still there and it still has the cutouts depicted in the original renderings. A nighttime animation was shown of how they will light the building at night. The cutouts will have their own lighting that will be able to change colors. In fact through the magic of LED lighting it will be able to depict of "race" of different colors going all the way around the building that will get progressively faster and faster and the "car" that wins the "race" will get the entire band lit up in that color. So if the blue "car" wins then the whole band will light up blue. Since this is all programed by computer and the LEDs can go whatever color you want...the possibilities are endless of what they could do with it. Personally I was impressed with that and think they should have done something like that on the Arena.

-There will be active water "jets" that will shoot up in the middle of the plaza forming different shapes. All computer programmed of course and people can easily walk through the "fountain" if they so choose.

-They also went into detail about the interior. It all looked good to me.

-The project is still on budget and on time. They will be finishing up the schematic drawings this summer.

Update on the NASCAR HoF from today's City Council meeting:

-Brevard St retail is now in the picture....kinda. They are going to design that level of the parking deck to be able to be converted to retail spaces along Brevard St in the future when market conditions warrant. The conversion to retail would remove about 50 parking spaces. Until then they will have window storefronts on the outside filled up with NASCAR images.

-The twisty stainless steel band is still there and it still has the cutouts depicted in the original renderings. A nighttime animation was shown of how they will light the building at night. The cutouts will have their own lighting that will be able to change colors. In fact through the magic of LED lighting it will be able to depict of "race" of different colors going all the way around the building that will get progressively faster and faster and the "car" that wins the "race" will get the entire band lit up in that color. So if the blue "car" wins then the whole band will light up blue. Since this is all programed by computer and the LEDs can go whatever color you want...the possibilities are endless of what they could do with it. Personally I was impressed with that and think they should have done something like that on the Arena.

-There will be active water "jets" that will shoot up in the middle of the plaza forming different shapes. All computer programmed of course and people can easily walk through the "fountain" if they so choose.

-They also went into detail about the interior. It all looked good to me.

-The project is still on budget and on time. They will be finishing up the schematic drawings this summer.

very exciting stuff regarding the lighting and retail. i just hope the extra features (led, fountain) arent value engineered away . . .

So no major changes from the original renderings? I don't recall hearing/seeing anything about the fountain but it sounds pretty cool. Is there going to be an official website for it anytime soon besides the http://www.belongshere.com/ site? Wonder if they'll update the pictures to show what they talked about at the meeting...

I will note that down as a win for UP people, as we had lots of people attend the public meeting on the Hall of Fame design, and that was a point we made very very very very strongly. That is, that it was absurd for the city to embark on a program to enliven Brevard through street retail, and then build a brand new building at the same time that had half of its Brevard facade blank and lifeless.

Regardless of how it happened, though, I am very happy with that outcome. It is what we had been discussing all along for Brevard, that street retail can't be supported yet, but you have to plan space for it for the future, or it will never get built... and the chicken will have died before laying the golden egg... or something.

I also think that the computer control LED on the metal band, and the plaza fountain will have an excellent result. That is great news, as it is something sort of interactive and interesting, unlike just a standard uplit building and a standard fountain.

At the public meeting they very much said they were wanting the feedback to understand where their design was deficient. We were loud and clear that about the Brevard Street retail needing to extend to Stonewall somehow. I had suggested tiny kiosk spaces, but I know others were also adament that they could do without those few spaces in exchange for street retail. I guess it it is a good compromise to phase retail in. They will start out with retail between what would be First Street and DMLKJB/Second Street, with the gift shop and Nascar Cafe there on the street. They will have parking spaces in the deck between what would be First and Stonewall, but that will become retail space when the market bears it.

I am just happy that the public meetings made a difference. Sometimes you don't see the responses to your feedback as readily.

I'm glad to see some technologoical advancements on this project since it will be a tourist destination for many. LED's are a very, very interesting concept, and a lot has been researched with them over the last few yrs so I hope they take advantage of some of these effects. Fountains are great for the kids too. They have them up at North Lake Mall, and there was a lot of activity in and around them on the hot days. Very, very awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

I supposed this is for the footings of the NASCAR tower. Anyone seen or heard of an updated drawing of the tower besides what we saw when the HOF was unveiled? I don't recall it being mentioned but will there be a parking deck built into it? I don't think so from what I remember.

NASCAR HOF officials were on WSOC-TV tonight talking more about their plans. Said they are going to have a large amphitheare that they hope people will watch races from. That ought to be interesting. What would be really cool is if they opened up for other sporting events other than racing. I know it's the NASCAR HOF, but work with me here. That would be pretty cool to watch the Panthers on a 40 foot big screen

• 2 weeks later...

Spoke to someone in CDOT and they said the 277/Caldwell St interchange project should be going to construction by Aug/Sept. One tidbit I thought was interesting was the cross section is supposed to have a small barrier (curb?) separating auto from bike/ped traffic, which will be allowed a very wide outside "shoulder" area in which to cross the freeway.

Spoke to someone in CDOT and they said the 277/Caldwell St interchange project should be going to construction by Aug/Sept. One tidbit I thought was interesting was the cross section is supposed to have a small barrier (curb?) separating auto from bike/ped traffic, which will be allowed a very wide outside "shoulder" area in which to cross the freeway.

I have seen some NCDOT trucks parked on that piece of land the last couple of days. This is an exciting happening. This act will begin to change Stonewall Street into a usable street connecting Second Ward more closely into the city.

UD

Archived