NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

Nice shot!

I reallllly hope they do some kind of lighting scheme on the sign at the top to give it some color, because not only is it plain, it's also barely noticeable from the street. I wish uptown's skyline could have some more pizazz at night. Lighting this up with the nascar theme colors would really stand out.

Nice shot!

I reallllly hope they do some kind of lighting scheme on the sign at the top to give it some color, because not only is it plain, it's also barely noticeable from the street. I wish uptown's skyline could have some more pizazz at night. Lighting this up with the nascar theme colors would really stand out.

I not sure if I want that or not, though. I kind of like the subtleness of it right now. Maybe if it didn't say NASCAR then I would like it. We'll see what happens though. Maybe they'll give it some lighting scheme and I'll end up liking it; I'll never know unless I see it.

I not sure if I want that or not, though. I kind of like the subtleness of it right now. Maybe if it didn't say NASCAR then I would like it. Will see what happens though. Maybe they'll give it some lighting scheme and I'll end up liking it; I'll never know unless I see it.

Doesn't it seem like those letters are a little off? Looks like that first 'A' is too big compared to rest of the letters. I don't think this is the finished sign -- I have a feeling that we'll see some color in it over the top of this. I think lighting is key, though -- it would be in tune with NASCAR's flashiness in general.

Taken today:

2956860240_b7e542217d.jpg

No doubt a great addition to the charlotte skyline! I can't believe the tower is almost done. Hopefully they do something about nascar logo though, its pretty bland thus far.

The tower was an afterthought. I bet the tower will complement but not overshaddow the whole HOF complex.

I wasn't really expecting much from this tower, but the curvature of the glass and cantilevers make it better than expected. Now it just needs some flames painted on it yeah!

I wasn't really expecting much from this tower, but the curvature of the glass and cantilevers make it better than expected. Now it just needs some flames painted on it yeah!

I haven't been to Charlotte in about a year, so seeing The Park unfinished and whatever hotel it is that is in never-ending construction mode is kind of jarring. And, as for the tower, maybe no flames, but black would look slick as hell; I'd love it and I'm not a NASCAR fan. Well, unless you count pulling for Jeff Gordon or the Busch guy to beat DE Jr (ducks and runs for cover).

Edit: Wow I'm bad at this for some reason lately.

i'd like the beige portion better in white or just anything with some more detailing, but ideally, i wish it weren't there at all. both sides of the building have such great glass profiles, but the box portion makes it APPEAR to be a one-sided building looking from straight front or back. would have been awesome all-glass, with maybe just some subtle ribbing.

but yeah can't complain, this is a nice building.

Last night I happened to be driving by the HOF and it appeared that testing was underway for the LED lights that chase around the "oval track" on the roof. It was only one strip (maybe 2' x 6') and they were slowly fading from one color to another. They have also uncovered the stainless steel in this area. I'm glad the LED's will be incorporated in the build. It'll be an entertaining novelty.

Last night I happened to be driving by the HOF and it appeared that testing was underway for the LED lights that chase around the "oval track" on the roof. It was only one strip (maybe 2' x 6') and they were slowly fading from one color to another. They have also uncovered the stainless steel in this area. I'm glad the LED's will be incorporated in the build. It'll be an entertaining novelty.

I saw the same going to work this morning from 277. I can't wait to see this thing in action. I can't tell for sure from the plans, but I hope this effect will interact with the interior as well.

The news is reporting that officials of this mostly taxpayer funded project are headed back to the Charlotte city council to ask for an additional $32M in order to actually finish the project. Seems they might have underestimated the cost and they are now saying the attractions planned for the place won't attract enough people. So they need more money for something better.

Apologies for switching back to an older topic, but.......

Anyone know the status of this $32M request? I would have thought this would have been

either granted or denied by now?

• 2 weeks later...

The Stonewall facade of this project is terrible. I'm glad they used a sandstone (or sandstone looking prefab concrete), but it is a blank wall. I thought this side was going to be a place where someone did broadcasting? Will they add multimedia in front of the blank wall here, or is this how it is?

I have gone for some runs lately outside rather than the treadmills, and so I have ended up running past some of these projects for the first time in a very very long time. On the one hand, I have been disappointed by some things that I have seen up close, but in general many of our new projects add a significant difference to areas that were once devoid of any activity.

As I posted in the other thread, I have run up Caldwell twice this past week, when I probably had not run by there in a few years (I used to use the median of the South Blvd bridge to get to the Dowd Y back was I was young enough to have an affordable membership rate ;) ).

I probably stood and looked around from MLK and Caldwell for 15 minutes just staring at it all. The construction of the Nascar Hall of Fame has hit a point where its skeletal structure is far along, and moving rapidly. Behind it, is the [Wells Fargo] tower that looks absolutely huge from this angle, and completely alters the center of gravity of the skyline. Then you can see the Ritz underneath the BofA Corp Center and of course The Park, which you can trick yourself into having it appear to be under construction (presumably it still is, as I suspect the new owners didn't pay 19m to dismantle the building for the steel).

The new Caldwell under construction also brings a fresh perspective on this corridor, because you realize that it will now be a very significant street being the extension of South Blvd into downtown. Although I don't like how wide it is at the southern end, the other blocks are well proportioned, have street parking, and you can just imagine new projects going up along it in the next business cycle.

It is hard to know exactly how quickly the blocks will be developed on each side of Caldwell between 3rd and MLK/2nd (the owners are First Baptist, AME Zion, and United Way which don't pay taxes.). However, because of the Nascar Hall, this area no longer seems far removed from the activity of the central business district, so it seems probably that at some point in the next decade, that some of that land will be bought by a developer for a hotel or office or some larger scale urban project seeking to draw in the crowds that show up at the Hall of Fame.

Archived