NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

I drove on the new section of Caldwell St infront of the HOF this morning. It is open from MLK to Stonewall. I was surprised by a few things in this short stretch - the morning light coming off the glass facade of the tower really makes this block feel bright and inviting - I wonder how the sun's path will change for other seasons though. And there is a slight curve in the road that seems to hug the contour of the tower - I wonder if it was planned, but it felt very coherent. The width of the sidewalks are also quite inviting. So, all in all, I was pleased by something that I didn't think would even make a difference!

• 4 months later...

^ Just a couple of observations/questions as this beautiful and iconic structure comes on line...

First looking at it from the intersection of Martin Luther King & Bevard ( above) juxtaposed between the Hilton Suites & the HOF Exhibition Hall, the entry hall and the attached tower brings to mind a very misplaced aircraft carrier in dry dock. Second, what's with the blue sawtooth design on the track ? Is this a pattern that's carried forth from something NASCAR, or just I.M. Pei "Gone Wild "... ??

Second, what's with the blue sawtooth design on the track ? Is this a pattern that's carried forth from something NASCAR, or just I.M. Pei "Gone Wild "... ??

Isn't that just the underlayment that hasn't yet been covered by metal panel?

Isn't that just the underlayment that hasn't yet been covered by metal panel?

The blue is a protective film so the stainless steel doesn't get scratched during installation. It's just like the film on new appliances.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey new to site. So im not sure if someone else has already posted about this. Today I was walking around the Nascar Museum. I noticed that the exterior of building is a type of steal material. I wondered if it might have reflection/heat issues as the The Walt Disney Concert Hall did in LA. Researched it a little bit and found this computer simulation of the building demonstrating the effect of the reflection of the direct sunlight on the surroundings of the building.

Welcome to UP, Lights.

I hadn't seen that video before or thought about the sun reflection, but that is good to know they studied it. I recently went to the roof of The Trust and they lined something with stainless steel and was almost blinded by the reflection. They're having to accelerate the patina with some spray to reduce it. It is one thing for an amenity deck on a roof... but a whole other for something hoping to get a million plus visitors.

• 2 weeks later...

On the design, my biggest comments at the beginning was that the ribbon looked on multiple sides to be like a massive ship lol. It is funny that others are seeing that now that it is complete. I find myself extremely disappointed with the Stonewall and Brevard corner of the building almost to the point of disgust. It kills the idea of Brevard being a ped corridor and Stonewall is far more visible side than MLK because of freeway. Perhaps one day it will be hidden by a new project on land freed by the interchange redesign, but for now, it just looks like a dull building with a metal roof.

• 2 weeks later...

The Restarant at the corner of MLK and Breavrd will be a Buffalo Wild Wings. Yawn.

Would you feel better if it was some fru fru place selling over priced "upscale" BBQ and duck fat fried pork rinds? I know its a chain, but its a very successfull one and in my opinion needed uptown. I think it will be a great fit here.

Would you feel better if it was some fru fru place selling over priced "upscale" BBQ and duck fat fried pork rinds? I know its a chain, but its a very successfull one and in my opinion needed uptown. I think it will be a great fit here.

You have to admit, a chain BBQ place will fit much better with the NASCAR crowd than, say, another upscale sushi joint. What's that chain wing place in Epicenter? It is a different chain, correct?

Bummer, I was actually hoping they would put that in the vacant spot under the new parking deck where the Catalyst development is located... I thought that would be a perfect spot for that type of restaurant, especially on game days. I agree with InitialD though... It's the perfect type of place for the Nascar crowd. Sushi joints and steakhouses need not apply.

I can't believe I am about to say this, but BW3 means a good sign. It means that this destination (and all it's sponsorships and endorcements) will help bring more chains (restaurant and hopefully retail) Uptown. Sure, Uptown has restaurants and some shopping, but let's face it - most people want familiar brands... hopefully this will be the start of the Brevard St. retail...

I can't believe I am about to say this, but BW3 means a good sign. It means that this destination (and all it's sponsorships and endorcements) will help bring more chains (restaurant and hopefully retail) Uptown. Sure, Uptown has restaurants and some shopping, but let's face it - most people want familiar brands... hopefully this will be the start of the Brevard St. retail...

E is right. Tourists especially like familiarity. Perfect example. Why oh why, with all of the good local restaurants around Times Square, would people go TGI Friday, or heaven forbid, Olive Garden. But they are packed.

I am glad uptown is getting some more national chains. I'm all for non-chain restaurants, but both are needed. I don't always want to pay a premium to get a meal in uptown and national chains allow me to do that. I find myself driving out of the city a good bit in the evening (after the lunch spots have closed) just so I can eat for a reasonable price. We need more options in uptown for dinner in all genres and price ranges.

E is right. Tourists especially like familiarity. Perfect example. Why oh why, with all of the good local restaurants around Times Square, would people go TGI Friday, or heaven forbid, Olive Garden. But they are packed.

Because people like familiarity and don't want to risk eating somewhere they are not sure they will like the food. When you are as hyperpicky about food as I am, I often am not willing to take the chance that a restaurant doesn't serve the food I like the precise way I like it.

Because people like familiarity and don't want to risk eating somewhere they are not sure they will like the food. When you are as hyperpicky about food as I am, I often am not willing to take the chance that a restaurant doesn't serve the food I like the precise way I like it.

No doubt about it, the chains are consistent.

I don't know if you travel much, but when you're on the road 80-90% you get really sick of the chains. Especially when traveling with colleagues, we'd go looking for local places with some personality and variety. There's only so much Chilis, Applebees, etc. we could take! Actually most of the time we did pretty well. Did hit some duds once in awhile, though.

So is this in lieu of the Nascar Cafe planned in that corner earlier?

I won't likely be going to BW3 but I don't think anyone imagined a non-chain restaurant to be going with the HOF, so I guess it isn't really a surprise. I just hope that it is an indication that the area will grow with other restaurants versus just a single one.

I have grown very pessimistic that Brevard has much of a shot at being a ped corridor like we envisioned in charettes a few years ago. But I guess it is a good thing if national restaurants get a me-too attitude about being adjacent to HOF, as it means that any project that builds street retail will be rewarded with a tenant rather than having it sit empty like at Courtside.

So is this in lieu of the Nascar Cafe planned in that corner earlier?

I won't likely be going to BW3 but I don't think anyone imagined a non-chain restaurant to be going with the HOF, so I guess it isn't really a surprise. I just hope that it is an indication that the area will grow with other restaurants versus just a single one.

I have grown very pessimistic that Brevard has much of a shot at being a ped corridor like we envisioned in charettes a few years ago. But I guess it is a good thing if national restaurants get a me-too attitude about being adjacent to HOF, as it means that any project that builds street retail will be rewarded with a tenant rather than having it sit empty like at Courtside.

Another Cheesecake Factory sure would be nice in that area. It would add to the foot traffic flow.

Archived