NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

Another Cheesecake Factory sure would be nice in that area. It would add to the foot traffic flow.

Somebody should talk to Mr. Love of Red Rocks. He's garnered quite a following of NASCAR fans to his Red Rocks at Birkdale since half the drivers eat there and the menu is NASCAR oriented. Additionally, he fits the bill as being both local, and sort of franchised.

Red Rocks is mentioned often on the race channels as some of the drivers' favorite places.

I can't believe I am about to say this, but BW3 means a good sign. It means that this destination (and all it's sponsorships and endorcements) will help bring more chains (restaurant and hopefully retail) Uptown. Sure, Uptown has restaurants and some shopping, but let's face it - most people want familiar brands... hopefully this will be the start of the Brevard St. retail...

My thoughts excactly. BW3s also leans a little more towards family dining than Wild Wing and most of the other eateries in uptown. Thats the chief complaint of many people visiting Epicentre and teh surrounding areas.

Eh...what else would have gone there? A high-volume restaurant like that is good for the area. This stretch of Brevard never had a chance a pedestrian corridor. Between the HOF, and CTC there is too much dead-space and too little strolling area in between.

Personally I would have preferred something along the lines of Bridges BBQ Lodge in Shelby. Real food cooked over a real fire....I think that would have been much more authentic NASCAR experience than Buffalo Wild Wings. Also having a BBQ Lodge would fill a void in the food scene in Charlotte. It sucks that you have to travel nearly an hour to get some good BBQ.

Personally I would have preferred something along the lines of Bridges BBQ Lodge in Shelby. Real food cooked over a real fire....I think that would have been much more authentic NASCAR experience than Buffalo Wild Wings. Also having a BBQ Lodge would fill a void in the food scene in Charlotte. It sucks that you have to travel nearly an hour to get some good BBQ.

Bill Spoon's has some good stuff down on South Blvd. near Tyvola and Archdale. I'm with you, though - nothing that I have ever tasted in my life has even come close to Bridge's BBQ Lodge in Shelby. I can't wait for next time I am on 85 driving south...only 15 minutes or so off of 85 and so worth the 30 minutes of driving to and from to have that immaculate barbecue.

Back on topic, though...I am a bit disappointed with Buffalo Wild Wings. I was honestly expecting something very touristy (in a good way, obviously) - Nascar Cafe, Hard Rock Cafe, or even a one-off spot catered to tourists. Everyone can go to their local BW3. It's like a music fan going to Cleveland and eating at the TGI Friday's next door, when there could be a "Rock 'n Roll Cafe" or whatever right there.

I do wish there was a Hard Rock here and I thought this would be the perfect spot. I've heard many negative comments on UP at any mention of a Hard Rock, but I have to be honest - I like the food there (not as much as when they had the Classic French Dip on the menu, but still...), and I love the atmosphere and all the music nostalgia. I've been to probably 30 Hard Rock Cafes all over the world. When travelling, I always try to hit up the local Hard Rock for at least a beer, just to check it off my list. If one were to come to Charlotte, I'd see it located near here. If Louisville, Gatlinburg, Phoenix, and Sacramento can support one, I don't see why Charlotte couldn't.

Nevertheless, hopefully this will be a catalyst to more restaurants and retail.

I took a run today by this and saw for the first time that they are striping the crosswalks in the area with checkerboard patterns. I find it kind of clever, actually, and will certainly cause people to think about the pedestrian crossings, which is good.

I have to say, I didn't fully understand what you meant until I was driving through there the other night. Me likey.

SSPX0192.jpg

I just hope they aren't "done" with the crosswalks where they are using what appears to be a "construction fencing mesh" pattern and kind of a red color. Those just aren't that visible at all.

Does anyone know what the plans are for the NASCAR logo at the top of the tower? It looks great at night when lit up, but man during the day it looks awful, you can barely even see it even when you are right up on it. Surely theyre not gonna leave it like that?

i don't think it would be clever anymore, it would encourage the conception that all this city is is Nascar and banks. i think its perfect at just the blocks surrounding the hof.

I can see your point. In general I'm a fan of anything in a city that's whimsical and unexpected. I think Charlotte is a little too staid sometimes (although I really like living here). I'd like to see strange, unique and unusual things all over town; especially uptown. For example, the statue of McManus (I think) at the intersection of Providence and Queens is nice, but when people decorate him or dress him up for some event...it's even better.

Does anyone know what the plans are for the NASCAR logo at the top of the tower? It looks great at night when lit up, but man during the day it looks awful, you can barely even see it even when you are right up on it. Surely theyre not gonna leave it like that?

I'm still surprised they decided to tone down the colorful aspect of the classic nascar logo and just go with basic white lighting. While it does look classy during night, it would make the building pop a little more if the colors were used. And I agree with you, during the day it's a nonfactor.

i don't think it would be clever anymore, it would encourage the conception that all this city is is Nascar and banks. i think its perfect at just the blocks surrounding the hof.

We can either be ashamed by one of few claims to national recognition, or capitalize on it.

It's somewhat whimisical, and honestly, would make crosswalks MUCH safer as the distinctive pattern makes it clear where drivers can expect pedestrians.

I wouldn't say it's about being ashamed. I think if all the crosswalks were like that, it would make the city feel "fake". In my opinion, having themed crosswalks would be kind of cheesy. I could see them working in a small town or city where all they have is one main attraction that the town is identified with. For Charlotte, I think they are appropriate around the HOF but not the rest of the city.

The idea is to make pedestrians more visible. You'll note that the city is installing "piano" style crosswalks at signalized intersections now, with the goal being to make pedestrians and their walking area more visible to motorists. These checkerboard crosswalks accomplish this goal exceptionally well.

I noticed that there is now on-street parking on Brevard between Stonewall and MLK (on the Convention Center side). There is also a neck-down (or at least) at the end of Brevard - only allowing for one right-turning lane, and one left-turning lane. This should make a significant difference in the pedestrian friendliness of Brevard. I hope this is the start of a road-diet for Brevard as called for in the Brevard Streetscape Plan.

Brevard is now completely different...

Bi-directional traffic is open.

On street parking on the Convention Center side.

No neckdowns, but narrow single bi-directional lanes.

Traffic lights installed at MLK @ Brevard, but "Do Not Enter" signs still blocking traffic from continuing toward Trade St past MLK.

It's all coming together!

It is coming together and it is good to see a calmer street forming versus the massively wide runway it was before. However, it is a tiny bit disappointing that they didn't do the curving design they wanted as part of the Brevard Street Plan. I always sort of guessed they'd just do the standard stuff expediently and then it would stay like that for a long time. But I guess I sort of hoped that because they went through the effort of doing public meetings and paying consultants for design ideas to help make the street a signature street, that they'd actually do some of it.

Still, it is nice to see it coming together in this form, too, as it is such a vast improvement over the previous design.

I think this area of town will looking pretty good in a year... We'll also have the Buffalo Wild Wings there and the Park will be restarted (maybe even close to finished?) by then.

BTW - I looked at BW3s web site and didn't see anything on one opening here. I forgot who mentioned it, but is this confirmed by someone?

Archived