NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

I think this area of town will looking pretty good in a year... We'll also have the Buffalo Wild Wings there and the Park will be restarted (maybe even close to finished?) by then.

BTW - I looked at BW3s web site and didn't see anything on one opening here. I forgot who mentioned it, but is this confirmed by someone?

That's Right! Contractor bids go in October 13th! Good Luck to All Bidding it.

Anyone notice the colored lights on top of NASCAR tonight? I'm assuming they can change out colors like some of the other buildings in Uptown.

It, along with Carillon are pink, which I assume is for breast cancer week.

I thought it must have been breast cancer day/week or something because I saw the water in the fountain fronting one of the Southpark office buildings dyed pink, as well as the fountains in the mall.

I thought it must have been breast cancer day/week or something because I saw the water in the fountain fronting one of the Southpark office buildings dyed pink, as well as the fountains in the mall.

That's correct... My wife and some of her friends are running in the Komen Race for the Cure 5k in uptown this weekend.

BOT: Does anyone know if office space is being filled at the Nascar tower yet? I thought Nascar media productions and a few other operations were supposed to be in there by now? I've gone by there recently and can't quite tell.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Did anyone else notice the lights on the metallic race track thing the other day? All of the "stripes" (for want of a better term) light up. They matched the colors on the top of the tower...

I was away in St. Louis this week, but my girlfriend let me know that the lights were on in the stripes on the "track" and that they looked awesome. I haven't seen them with my own eyes yet, but apparently it's like we all had hoped. I can't believe that someone hasn't taken a picture yet! I can't wait to see it!

• 1 month later...

Not sure if anyone has seen it, but they've updated the web site with an interactive map of the Hall of Fame exhibits and other amenities for when it opens. The Buffalo Wild Wings will be located on corner where the plaza is located (I think it will run partially along Brevard).

http://www.nascarhall.com/exhibits-and-events/interactive-map

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds as if Lowe's is looking to sponsor the HOF. I'm curious if they would cheapen the HOF by placing banners all over the place. I understand NASCAR is all about sponsorships (certainly wouldn't exist without them...at least not in its current form), but sponsoring a HOF is a bit over the top IMO. Perhaps it would end up being better than what I imagine.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure that Lowe's (or anybody) sponsoring the hall really cheapens it at all. As you said Neo, it's how NASCAR is built. I wouldn't expect anything less from them. Though a building covered in sponsors' names on the outside WOULD be tacky!

And in that vein, I drove past today and the northwest corner of the building (MLK and Brevard) is now marred by large signs on both streets that read in large colored letters "BUFFALO WILD WINGS CAFE". Probably not what Pei+Cobb & Freed had in mind.

And in that vein, I drove past today and the northwest corner of the building (MLK and Brevard) is now marred by large signs on both streets that read in large colored letters "BUFFALO WILD WINGS CAFE". Probably not what Pei+Cobb & Freed had in mind.

Ummmm, It's the NASCAR Hall of Fame... Not the Knight Theater. I suppose a nice blank wall and two checkered doors would be a better look? Maybe a sushi restaurant instead?

Well, they did have a restaurant designed for that space, but I think they were planning for it to be NASCAR Cafe. Honestly, that small retail section is one of the few redeeming parts of the Brevard section of the design. The rest is an almost totally blank wall.

Ummmm, It's the NASCAR Hall of Fame... Not the Knight Theater. I suppose a nice blank wall and two checkered doors would be a better look? Maybe a sushi restaurant instead?

Um, I believe you missed the point. It's on the front of the building, for goodness sake! Big orange letters. I couldn't give a rats arse that its a Wild Wing Cafe, but I am a fan of architecture and in my humble opinion, having their orange logo on the front of the HOF does the entire front facade a disservice.

And by the way, last time I checked, the entire 1st St facade of the Knight Theater was a big blank wall. For the record, I don't think that the Wild Wing logo would look good on it, either.

I haven't seen the new signage so I will withhold judgement until I do, but I can't stop thinking that one of the biggest complaints that is voiced on this board is that Uptown feels too sterile at times. While I certainly don't consider a sign for WWC as the height of urban grit - I do think it fits in the flow of urban usage and certainly NASCAR. Again - I haven't seen the actual signage though....

Um, I believe you missed the point. It's on the front of the building, for goodness sake! Big orange letters. I couldn't give a rats arse that its a Wild Wing Cafe, but I am a fan of architecture and in my humble opinion, having their orange logo on the front of the HOF does the entire front facade a disservice.

And by the way, last time I checked, the entire 1st St facade of the Knight Theater was a big blank wall. For the record, I don't think that the Wild Wing logo would look good on it, either.

No, I didn't miss your point at all. I just respectfully disagree with it. My point is that it's the NASCAR hall of fame, not some fancy schmanzy theater or art gallery. Too often people complain on here "well, that signage isn't bright enough or how the heck am I supposed know something is located somewhere when the signage is on the other side of the street." I welcome the signage. It brightens up that side of town and the building, which is otherwise very bland. Would you complain about the Duke Energy Center lighting up in Vegas style colors? I wish they'd do that too because it would give Charlotte something more bold. Too many blue and white lights exist as it is.

Archived