NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

No, I didn't miss your point at all. I just respectfully disagree with it. My point is that it's the NASCAR hall of fame, not some fancy schmanzy theater or art gallery. Too often people complain on here "well, that signage isn't bright enough or how the heck am I supposed know something is located somewhere when the signage is on the other side of the street." I welcome the signage. It brightens up that side of town and the building, which is otherwise very bland. Would you complain about the Duke Energy Center lighting up in Vegas style colors? I wish they'd do that too because it would give Charlotte something more bold. Too many blue and white lights exist as it is.

It's apples and oranges (and orange logos). The NASCAR Hall IS a big fancy schmanzy building. It was designed by one of the most famous architectural firms in the world. It cost $167 million to build (the big new fancy Mint Museum, by contrast, is costing $56 million). I don't argue that we need more color uptown, I just don't think it needs to be in the form of a bad logo on the front of a museum. I'm just hoping they plant some trees in front of it that will cover it up in the summer time.

Well, I guess we will agree to disagree then... I never had overly high expectations for this building, based on the primary tenant. Some trees would probably work well, and hopefully by the time it opens The Park building will finally be back on track. That's probably a much bigger eyesore than anything in that area.

Ok, not to beat a dead horse, but since I live a mile away from downtown I drove by the Hall of Fame during lunch to see this signage. And quite honestly I really see nothing wrong with it at all. I was expecting to see some huge 25 foot lettering on the side of the hall and it was FAR from that. There's a couple BWW hanging signs and then "Buffalo Wild Wing" written above the restaurant entrance, in small lettering. For one thing it's in the plaza area of the Hall of Fame and on the complete opposite side of the entrance to the office building where it does have a clean, sleek look. You don't even see it unless you go to the back of the building at the intersection of Brevard and MLK.

I don't mind the signage actually. it does what it is supposed to do, it alerts potential customers to what kind of business is located in that corner of the building. I have driven passed the building myself and have seen the signage with my own eyes.

Ok, not to beat a dead horse, but since I live a mile away from downtown I drove by the Hall of Fame during lunch to see this signage.

Hah...I did the same thing! I intentionally drove out of my way today to check the sign out. I don't really mind it...I would prefer something special like a NASCAR cafe in that spot (well, if you can call that "special"), but I don't have any qualms about the signage there right now with a BWW in that spot.

Who cares about the signage, I think it makes it more interesting. A 20 story office tower was grafted onto the building after the fact. This never has been just about the hall of fame. It's also about office space, ballrooms for the convention center, creating street level retail, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Dont think this has been posted on here. This is the TV spot for the NASCAR HOF, with pretty good shots of Charlotte, though Charlotte is not actually mentioned. If you noticed, they feature Hall Clock Shop from Central Ave, but it looks to me like they placed the window letters in the video because the streetscape looks nothing like Central Ave.

NASCAR TV Spot

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You know, I was originally expecting some color and "flare" to this project when it was first devised. This seems waaaaay too Office Park-ish for NASCAR. I'm severely let down by the signage, I was hoping for some more excitement to be added to uptown's streets. Hopefully there's still something that they haven't put out yet.

Unfortunately, it will all be very beige at first. This is much like the DEC, all is white and conforming, but hopefully, these new projects can inspire creativity with the new developments. They are all equipped with LED technology, capable of any color. I cannot wait to see all the buildings Uptown retrofitted with LED systems, not only to save money, but brighten the skyline and make it memorable. DEC was not able to light the building Orange for the Bobcats, but had every intention to do so. Technical difficulties delayed that excitement. Maybe next year! We should still see the lights run 'laps' around the HOF on opening day!

Little info on 'Opening Day'-

There will be a ceremony at 9 on Tuesday. After that, several FREE concerts and personality appearances will fill the remainder. Should be a great time! I will be there documenting the historic day in CLT history. Not a fan of NASCAR, per se, but love Charlotte! So glad to have grown up here.

I agree that the plaza is a little antiseptic at the moment, but I'm reminding myself that the moment is before the Hall is even open.

Don't we all wish we had $10 for every time someone says Uptown is too sterile and staid. Even people who worship every square inch of the inner loop will freely admit the area needs more pizazz.

Then a restaurant opens at Nascar Plaza with tasteful, modern signage, and the public reaction is as if a nude dance club with blinding signage just opened there! :o

Good taste is awesome, and Charlotte has oodles of it. But too much good taste can unfortunately lead to boredom. Let the lights return to Uptown!

Will the LED lights that are supposed to represent cars racing around the building be on every night or just on special occasions? I have been waiting to see them test the lights, but haven’t seen them turned on yet.

I've seen them testing in daytime. If I remember correctly, they change speeds - I've seen them cycling slowly. So at least they're there and working right....

I went by the other day and couldn't believe they had planting strips on MLK. The plaza is devoid of trees because they know crowds will be there sometimes. Well, MLK is a small street that will be shut down for Speed Street, so the crowds are going to destroy that grass.

I expect to be out of town during the big NRA-Palin-Speed Street- Hall of Fame Opening extravaganza, but I'm hoping that all those people bring money in their pockets and wanting to spend it. If the visitor numbers don't work out, it will be a very big disappointment, since at the end of the day, that is the purpose for the city funding this.

The grand opening is set for tomorrow (Tuesday). I heard that tickets for that were already sold out. I'm not much of a Nascar buff, but I still would like to check this out pretty soon. From the reviews I've read, the techology used in some of the exhibits is just flat out awesome.

Archived