NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

Very wise decision atlrvr :D. Don't want to open that can of worms again. What it all comes down to, like anything, is money. In my opinion, the Council has seen that the HOF would far eclipse any revenue made from any other museum. If they can save grace (over the basketball arena) with a popular venue that ALSO makes money, they're golden, right?

What Fortune 500 corp. is going to say "Wow, Charlotte has a NASCAR museum, let's relocate". Tourism is great from a pride standpoint and should be pursued to some degree

As for that, I'd respond with, what Fortune 500 corp. is going to say "Wow, Charlotte has a new Mint Museum, let's relocate." I know that's not what your point was, but I think it will be more beneficial in development than funding the other arts. It will bring people to Charlotte who will spend their money, thus funding the local economy even more. They will need ways to get here so they'll probably drive, but theoretically, they could use the airport or train, justifying their existance even more and perhaps helping the airlines stay put or continue bringing in low cost air carriers. And finally, they have to stay somewhere, so that fills our hotels, giving them business and the city gains money on the hotel tax. If we have full hotels, more will be built, thus increasing our attractability for larger events for the Convention Center and the Arena. I constantly hear that Charlotte's a great place for large events, but they just don't have enough hotels for people. So, it just seems like the HOF would be a snowballing effect, if you will, of good things for the city.

When I read that article in the Observer this morning I knew that atlrvr was going to get pissed off reading it.

Although the article just states the obvious...its not really anything new.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Emotional predicability is a good thing :D

it is true that the hampton inn/garden inn complex could now finally expand into its original design BUT do you know that the concrete shafts are already almost done being converted to a more attractive clocktower?

i guess the expenditure to siding those shafts will remove a line item that would have needed to be included in the expansion, so maybe it makes it a million bucks cheaper to expand. that hotel complex would be the right market niche and price for more nascar fans.

I am excited at the thought that another large hotel could be built.....just copy the Westin at Times Square (though I guess you'd have to rebrand it) and you'll never hear another peep out of me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you refering to the Westin that is a tall tower in different shades of blue and purple near the Port Authority Bus Terminal?

Ok, y'all are going to rake me over the coals on Gehry's "not modern enough to stick out" building in Prague. Let's take a trip to London.

Here's Norman Foster's London City Hall

cityhall3.jpg

And how about Daniel Libeskind's Jewish Museum in Berlin

Berlin%20Jewish%20museum.jpg

Or maybe the Pompidou Center in Paris

T001062A.jpg

Here's Bilbao

gehgugdd.gif

Museum of Civilization in Ottawa

malak2b.jpg

Want something closer to home?

Crown Fountain in Millenium Park, Chicago

millenium_park.jpg

Soldier Field, Chicago

pic-soldier_field.jpg

View from Soldier Field, Chicago

grhc2004_soldier_field2_medium.jpg

Have any pics??

And, I do support the HOF coming to Charlotte, but am greatly disappointed that the arts projects are getting snuffed by it. I do, however, think that all of these projects are financially feasible at the moment and all could be built if there was a great desire by someone with alot of money, not naming any names *cough cough* bank executives *cough*. Face it, if McColl was still head at BofA, these projects would be built in a heartbeat. Since he has retired, I have found that the city's top businesses are lacking in their donations to the city and its well-being. This frustrates me greatly. With all the billions of dollars these companies are making each year, you would think they could throw a few, scrappy million in the city's direction. O well, I guess it's just business...or selfishness.

both banks have huge funding drives for ASC. all employees participate whether they give or not. it raises large amounts of cash. if every uptown employee (non-bank) gave ASC would have more money than projects. it seems a little crazy to call out the banks.

are any of the other cities up for this HOF as far into the process as charlotte seems to be. It almost seems like Charlotte has begun assuming they will get it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kansas City has hired HOK architects, I haven't heard any further detail other than reading articles stating that they feel they have a good plan.

Atlanta has hired E. Verner Johnson and Associates, with a site in downtown (most likely at Centennial Olympic Park). They feel confident they will surpass the 400,000 visitors a year projected in Charlotte. A few more details are in an article on the Central Atlanta Progress website.

So how should this NASCAR HOF be designed so that its a good public space?

Where should the front door be?

Where should the parking be?

What matirials should it be made out of?

Where is the service entrance?

How should it interact with the streetscape?

These are all questions the architects are trying to answer. I'm curious to know ya'lls thoughts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Judging from the new center city cats proposal, they are going to widen the sidewalks along Brevard... and perhaps teminate Brevard at the HOF? Brevard already dead-ends at the new Bobcats stadium, so the building should create an appropriate visual terminus at the opposite end. The success of the new Pedestrian urban space that will become Brevard Street will probably hinge more on what is done with the Convention Center Parking Lot Block, the ABC Site, the United Way Site etc.

I am in agreement with ole Mies. This museum can be a monument and a desination in any appropriate style. Its the boldness of building design and its abilty to draw pedestrians along the corridor will be the building's contribution to the Pedestrian.

EDIT: I finally took the time to wade through the HOF site speculation thread and realized that the site is the cadallac site and not the end of Brevard...

...but i think it should be.

I do, however, think that all of these projects are financially feasible at the moment and all could be built if there was a great desire by someone with alot of money, not naming any names *cough cough* bank executives *cough*.  Face it, if McColl was still head at BofA, these projects would be built in a heartbeat.  Since he has retired, I have found that the city's top businesses are lacking in their donations to the city and its well-being.  This frustrates me greatly.  With all the billions of dollars these companies are making each year, you would think they could throw a few, scrappy million in the city's direction.  O well, I guess it's just business...or selfishness.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wonder why you chose to single out the bank executives when there is a guy by the name of Bruton Smith who runs Sonic Automotive (#272 on this years Fortune 500) and happens to own Lowe's Motor Speedway. It seems a bit odd that someone involved in the automotive and racing industries hasn't been heard from on this subject. Could it be that his is upset that he proposed an automotive museum a few years ago and the city never got strongly behind it. Or is he still upset at being fined last for removing those pesky trees? Or maybe he just sees it as a conflict of interest since he owns the track in Atlanta too? Oh well....looks like he wins either way.

Some more intereting structures in North America and Europe that stand on their own as places for people:

First, some other halls of fame (who knew there were so many?!)

Country Music, Nashville

hoftwilight.jpg

Professional Football, Canton, OH (awe inspiring...)

HallInfo_photo.jpg

Basketball, Springfield, MA (pretty ugly)

mil0222_mil0222-r1-013-5.jpg

Automotive Hall of Fame, Dearborn, MI

134.jpg

Hockey, Toronto

hhofexterior.jpg

And then some other noteworth buildings...

The National Musuem of the American Indian, The Mall, Washington

FT3museum0919ae.l.jpg

Again, the Contemporary Arts Center, Cincinnati

Dusk.jpg

The Sage Gateshead, Newcastle, UK (Foster and Associates)

Sage_Gates.jpg

British Embassy, Berlin

016Architecture.jpg

The Scottish Parlaiment, Edinburgh

0_buildings_-_scottish_parliament_calton_hill_and_royal_high_school_2co21a.jpg

Peckham Library, London

angleelev.jpg

One from the Middle East: Jerusalem City Hall

city_hall.jpg

According to News14, Charlotte's NHOF proposal will be funded as follows:

$137 million will be spent on the HOF (if approved for charlotte). That isn't including the free land by the convention center that will be donated for the HOF (bought for $10m)

- $37.5m will come from convention center fund to pay for parking for the NHOF.

- $65m will come from a new 2c hotel/motel tax that supposedly the hotel industry is supporting, and will require legislative approval.

- The remaining $34.5m will come from state and private sources.

Archived